Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just bought this Cruze yesterday and I love! As you can tell by the title I accidentally downshifted from 2nd to 1st trying to hit 3rd. I was only at 3500 rpms going around 25mph. I didn’t see anything noticeably wrong with the car. I just wanted to see what kind of damage I could’ve done. It honestly seems like the car barely let me go into first until the RPMS dropped and slowed down. I’m not familiar with these cars at all so I’m not sure what kinds of rev limit there is to prevent these things

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,485 Posts
If it's still running, everything's fine.

There's a fuel cut off around 6500 RPM. It sounds pained, but it's likely fine. The engines can run >7000 RPM on stock bottom ends with upgraded valve springs.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
You'd definitely hear something if anything broke.

I've done an accidental WOT 1-2-1 in a friend's '85 Trans Am (T5 swap) - car was pissed off and locked the rear end up, but otherwise it was fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,369 Posts
In my younger days, I was showing off because of who was sitting next to me and went from Drive to Reverse (unintentionally) and back to Drive without skipping a beat. The car survived, but I did not get anther date. (I know, not quite the same as a manual....)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Did that in my old Cobalt one time. 2-3 turned into a 2-1 shift at WOT pegged out the tach for a moment past 8k RPM. I was horrified I wrecked something, but all was fine. As stated above, you would know right away if something broke.

Unfortunately fuel shut off/ Rev limiter does nothing for this sort of mistake as you are mechanically forcing the engine to over rev. Definitely be careful not to do this again, if you do it again make sure to disengage the clutch as fast as possible and re-shift to the correct gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
kamnowa
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing