Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What maintenance items are a MUST for 45k? I'm slightly past at 46.5k, just wanna be sure there's nothing major that has to be done.

Thus far I've mostly just been doing oil changes and tire rotations since getting the car around 14k.

Also changed the cabin and engine air filter awhile back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It all depends on how long you intend to keep the car. If you want it for 150-200k miles, I would just keep doing what you've been doing. If you want to keep it longer than that, definitely drain the transmission fluid. At 50k, mine was pretty black. I did about 4-5 partial drain-and-refills until the fluid was mostly pink coming out. So that's something to think about.

Same with the brake fluid in the lines. You probably want to pump it out through each bleeder screw. It gets dirty after 30k miles or so. But again, only do that if you intend to keep the car for a very long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all depends on how long you intend to keep the car. If you want it for 150-200k miles, I would just keep doing what you've been doing. If you want to keep it longer than that, definitely drain the transmission fluid. At 50k, mine was pretty black. I did about 4-5 partial drain-and-refills until the fluid was mostly pink coming out. So that's something to think about.

Same with the brake fluid in the lines. You probably want to pump it out through each bleeder screw. It gets dirty after 30k miles or so. But again, only do that if you intend to keep the car for a very long time.
Anything that needs to be done with the coolant? Though I saw that on a chart somewhere?

Were the transmission and brake fluid things you were able to do yourself or did you have to take it to a shop to do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anything that needs to be done with the coolant? Though I saw that on a chart somewhere?

Were the transmission and brake fluid things you were able to do yourself or did you have to take it to a shop to do?
The manual says change the coolant every 150k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. So it's probably time. It's very easy and inexpensive to do. You just need a small piece of 5/16" hose to connect to the coolant drain fitting.

I also did the transmission and brake fluid changes myself. It's easy, you just need the tools to do so (a jack, 4 jack stands, a breaker bar and socket to remove the lug nuts, a drain pan, some small wrenches to remove the transmission plugs and to loosen the brake bleeder screws).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual says change the coolant every 150k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. So it's probably time. It's very easy and inexpensive to do. You just need a small piece of 5/16" hose to connect to the coolant drain fitting.

I also did the transmission and brake fluid changes myself. It's easy, you just need the tools to do so (a jack, 4 jack stands, a breaker bar and socket to remove the lug nuts, a drain pan, some small wrenches to remove the transmission plugs and to loosen the brake bleeder screws).
Thanks, yea I've thought about doing the coolant thing myself just saw where need a few cheap tools to remove some trim pieces.

Not sure about doing the transmission or brake fluid. Definitely don't want to F up the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it better to just CHANGE the transmission fluid and coolant fluid or is a flush also necessary?

The manual just says change not sure exactly what difference the two would make other than one costing more at the shop. Just don't want to get upsold at the mechanic for something that isn't necessary or something that would cause more issues down the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with Thebigzeus.. I just do multiple drains within a short period. There's almost no risk in doing that. There's way more risk with never changing the fluid imo, unless (again) you don't plan to keep the car for more than 150k miles or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Thebigzeus.. I just do multiple drains within a short period. There's almost no risk in doing that. There's way more risk with never changing the fluid imo, unless (again) you don't plan to keep the car for more than 150k miles or so.
Took it to the shop today for the usual oil change and tire rotation.

Here's the advice he gave about the 45k maintenance.

He definitely recommended doing the BRAKE fluid change at 45k.

He said to do the COOLANT at 90k going more by mileage instead of time.
(Mostly likely gonna do this anyways when I get the brake fluid done.)

Not sure the reasoning but he recommended AGAINST changing the TRANSMISSION fluid
( Gonna contact some other shops, since really want the car to last since the Toyota Highlander we had died due to the transmission so definitely want to take care of this car the best we can)

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts

I have a 2014 CRUZE with 24,000 miles. The Manual calls for 150K coolant service intervals with no mention of time?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I won't worry much about coolant change, I had other major issues on all my Cruze-s that forced me to drain the coolant and replace it way before 90k miles. Not to scary you.. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts