Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! First-time poster. I am a proud Cruze owner. 2014 1.8 LS (non-turbo). I'm just outside my factory warranty period and had to go purchase my first oil change (dealer did them twice per year for free prior to this). I didn't pay any attention to the type of oil they were using, and when I read my receipt a few hours later I noticed that they used 5W-30 conventional. I know my manual calls for semi-synth. My question is, can my engine "live" for 3,000 on this oil, or should I go get it re-done? I know that the turbo engines require full synth, but since I'm not turbo I'm wondering if I can just live with it then switch back to the "correct" Dexos blend at next change.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
GM requires a Dexos blend oil in ALL 2010+ Cars and trucks. I would just ask the oil change place if their oil is Dexos approved. The Dexos label you will find on many oils will always be a synthetic blend.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Just curious, did you ever check to see your Chevy dealers oil change prices? Mine is only $29 for a dexos oil change, better priced than a synthetic blend at a normal oil change place.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
You'll be fine with a 3000 mile change.

The dexos spec was created to allow for the longer change intervals and the OLM is geared around those change intervals.
Also, your EPA mileage estimates were created using engines lubricated with the dexos specification.....there may be slightly less fluid drag.
Anyways, when a vehicle is marketed with the EPA mileage estimate the manufacturer will recommend that oil spec as a re-fill.

But, at three thousand mile intervals you are harming nothing.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
As far as I got with the LS, didn't have a cruise or is this a Cruze control option so looked up the line, only options I really wanted was cruise, AC, and manual transmission. Of course my wife's list of options was much greater.

So does the LS have that DIC that show oil remaining life? For the 1.4 L turbo, has this, and the owners manual says to use it, but being on the conservative side, change it at 20% remaining. Bit can be as free as going down to 0% oil remaining plus another 600 miles. Other requirement if driving a heck of a lot less is to change it yearly.

Owners manual says to only use a dexos approved oil or else the 100K mile/5 year warranty will be void. So only use dexos with proof that I changed it.

Dealers around here want $73.80 with sales tax for dexos, so change it myself and besides, I know how to use a torque wrench and I know for sure the oil filter was replaced. I even know how to hit the hole, and fill it to the full mark on the dip stick. Turbos do require a synthetic oil, you don't have a turbo.

Just saying all this is in your owners manual, but almost next to impossible to find this in the book. So just downloaded it and use Adobe Acrobat Pro and do a search.

Dexos is only seven bucks more than conventional, don't know why my dealers want to charge 40+ bucks more, they don't know why either. And for dexos, get twice the mileage, so much cheaper per mile than using conventional.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Nick.....your dealers up there are thieves.

Dexos oil change, up to five qts. with the ten thousand point inspection is $34.00 plus tax.
And, as a loss leader, the dealer I use is doing a two for one deal.....pay for one oil change, dexos or not, next one is free.

So, $17.00 each.......too bad for me....I use Mobil 1.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Nick.....your dealers up there are thieves.

Dexos oil change, up to five qts. with the ten thousand point inspection is $34.00 plus tax.
And, as a loss leader, the dealer I use is doing a two for one deal.....pay for one oil change, dexos or not, next one is free.

So, $17.00 each.......too bad for me....I use Mobil 1.

Rob
My deal isn't quite as good as yours, but still good... Dexos is $29, mobil 1 is $48 and every 4 oil change is free. Did find my oil fill cap half screwed on last time though, but can't blame the tech when the cap is designed so stupid. I actually drove the car with the cap that way for 3,000 miles and it did not ever set a CEL. I only noticed it because of all the blowby around the fill cap when I went to do my monthly fluid checks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though dexos oil was a warranty requirement on Cruzes. If so the dealer should have known better then use conventional oil.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
If your dealer put the wrong oil in take it back and have them correct their error. If they won't PM our Chevy Customer Care folks and get them involved.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though dexos oil was a warranty requirement on Cruzes. If so the dealer should have known better then use conventional oil.
It could impact warranty coverage if the OP was to follow the OLM and continue to use a conventional oil......this if Chevy wanted to be sticky.
But with a 3k change on a low stress 1.8 I can't imagine the corporation even taking note....they probably wish everyone would follow that regimine.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bulk Valvoline on a 1.8 with a 3000 mile interval? Should be fine.

You could probably even go 5000 on that.

From that point on, just for the sake of accuracy with the OLM, you would probably want them to use at least Valvoline DuraBlend (pretty sure that's Dexos approved - I know MaxLife is. Much gnashing of teeth and fretting because the Molybdenum numbers dropped in MaxLife when they got Dexos approval)

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
You will have ten thousand answers, heh heh.

Personnally, I see little logic in using a blend.....a conventional oil with a few of the attributes of a synthetic.

I am happy with Mobil1 extended life....a true synthetic.
Many others are using Amsoil with very good results.

If you have a personnal favorite synthetic that is Dexos certified, run with it......IMO, all are better than a blend.

Rob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts