Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone..

This is my first post on my first day on the forum!

My girlfriend has a 2014 Cruze with the small 1.4 Ltr engine. She had a safety done on the car and it was also inspected by Uber and Lyft as she is getting ready to drive as a side job. She was being proactive and decided to get an oil change before she got started. Despite the fact I have an amazing mechanic who I have used for many years, she decided to go across her street to the local Mr. Lube. When the oil change was done, she drove less than six block when her car started to shudder, then stalled in the intersection. She was able to start and drive a few yards into the gas station and opened the hood and saw the pictures I will attach to this post. The oil cap was missing and oil was everywhere. She called the store and they refused to help in any way and stated she must have lost the cap somewhere. lol.

I went to see the car later with an oil cap I picked up at GM (the tall, odd looking one) and some oil in hopes it would get her up and running again. when I started the car, an enormous amount of smoke came out of the rear pipes. I had the car towed to my mechanic and was able to fix the problem ($900) later. I emailed head office, and again stated they were not responsible and claim no liability, so I am taking them to court.

That is the background.. "here is the question".. I know she had the original low profile cap and I read on some forums, there was a known issue where customers would not secure the cap correctly, only one of the "engagement legs" or blades would secure and the second would remain unsecured. Apparently when this happens, the oil cap will pop-off like a cork when then crank case pressure gets too high. I think this is what happened in my GF's case.

What I am looking for is a case study, TSB from GM, or something that will show this problem to help my case. Since there are many revisions of the oil cap I was thinking there must be a official source talking about this issue and would explain why there were so many versions of the oil filler cap. And what better place to ask than a Cruze forum :)

Thanks everyone!

IMG_9686.jpeg IMG_9695.jpeg IMG_9687.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, this is very disappointing and unfortunate. I hope you win the court case. It's so sad that customer service is beyond terrible.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hope you took a picture of the mileage of the vehicle when this happened as well as the document from MrLube when the vehicle was in for the oil change. That will be some key items you will want to have. There is no reason to be taking the oil cap off after an oil change. This business will lose the court date.

Unfortunately I could not locate a document for the tough to install cap and blow off issue. Maybe calling GM or messaging them on here could net in some results?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I have seen many of the original design caps 'half latched' for lack of a better term. I have never seen a cap blow off......just big time oil leakage.

A four cylinder engine, because two pistons are going down while two pistons are rising, will have moments of positive and negative crankcase pressure and this huffing/puffing is what throws the oil out of the sides the poorly seated cap.
For the crankcase to pressurize enough to blow a partially seated cap off is, IMO, highly unlikely and would indicate a secondary internal engine problem such as broken rings.

My suspicion would be the facility never re-installed the cap or put it in position without fully turning it.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone. thank you for the posts. @lonewolf04. I did log the milage on the car and have the video from the gas station she broke down at as well. the car was driven 4km from the Mr. Lube location. I did my best to work with head office and their franchise location, but they simply brushed me off and said it wasn't their issue. As far as the cap information, I don't think I will need it now. I think showing the safety documents that were done on the car, and the documented 4Km of driving before the breakdown should be enough to show who is at fault. The problem now is the car has been throwing Engine codes related to the Cats.. so I have oil didn't get down there and cause damage.. I believe these cars have two installed.

Thanks again all for the help. My next project is getting her little Aux port in the glove box working again.. I bought a new one on Ebay and will see how that goes :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts