Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I don't know if this has already been asked and I'm sorry if it was here in the forum.

Just bought a 2014 Cruze, and I was wondering if there's any chance to update (up to some point) my radio. It's not touchscreen, although it's still mylink, but I'm facing some really hard time to find any info about it online: you can only read about touchscreen radios...
There should be a way to udpate somehow, because in "radio settings" there's one time called something like "system update", but when I hit the button, it only says "please insert USB device". I tried with an empty, exFAT thumb drive, but it seems like the radio is actually expecting something to read from the drive. Any help?!?!? thanks a lot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I have the same radio as you on my 2013 Cruze LT1? It's not touch screen but it has menus to go through (to set up bluetooth, set date & time, etc.) I haven't looked into mine much, but some random info I've read suggests that it pulls updates over the air through the onstar connection (I think even if you do not have an onstar subscription that things like this would pull over it anyway.) In that case the USB option would be probably just for dealer use.

If you're looking to see if you get any extra functionality, I've read the radio actually has like 2 or 3 USB ports on the back, and these have plug-in modules to add functionality... the base radio is AM/FM, there's a SirusXM module in one port, and a bluetooth one in the other. Apparently you can pop out the Bluetooth module and pop in the one from a Buick, it has the same physical bluetooth chip but additional software or a flag to enable additional functionality in the radio itself or whatever so the radio can use the bluetooth for streaming music off the phone, instead of just phone calls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys! Here's the pictures. It does have Bluetooth but doesn't seem to be useful for updates. And there's no clue of any on star features anywhere in the menu...
Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Vehicle Plant Automotive design Car Personal luxury car

Plant Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Gadget

Automotive tire Vehicle Gadget Automotive design Personal luxury car

Automotive design Vehicle Gadget Output device Plant

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys! Here's the pictures. It does have Bluetooth but doesn't seem to be useful for updates. And there's no clue of any on star features anywhere in the menu... View attachment 298855
View attachment 298856
View attachment 298858
View attachment 298857
View attachment 298854
If you want you can try this: How-To: Update MyLink radio to the latest version

It's my tutorial but it looks like it can be updated if your in the US. That radio looks like it's touch, try tapping on the screen but if it doesn't do anything then maybe it's defective or they shipped non-touch units not really sure though. OnStar updating is only for 2016+ gen 2 Cruzes I think

Follow the instructions there, if you need help just post a question in that thread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh it is touchscreen, I didn't know that! Thanks @Paskalampi I'll follow your guide and let you know.

Edit:
I've just read your guide and it's pretty straight-forward, although the following passage is kind of obscure to me (probably, just because it's my first car here in the US: I've got a Renault Clio 2017 back in Europe and those are kinda more basic even with all the electronic and stuff):

"Turn the car on to the "run" position (do not start the engine!!)
(for push button ignition hold the button down for 5 seconds with key inside, DO NOT USE ACCESSORY MODE!!)"

Ok for not starting the engine, but what's the "run position"?
And you also say "with the key inside": I don't see the "usual hole" at the bottom right of the steering wheel to plug the key in...there's just the start/stop button...

Thanks for the help man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh it is touchscreen, I didn't know that! Thanks @Paskalampi I'll follow your guide and let you know.

Edit:
I've just read your guide and it's pretty straight-forward, although the following passage is kind of obscure to me (probably, just because it's my first car here in the US: I've got a Renault Clio 2017 back in Europe and those are kinda more basic even with all the electronic and stuff):

"Turn the car on to the "run" position (do not start the engine!!)
(for push button ignition hold the button down for 5 seconds with key inside, DO NOT USE ACCESSORY MODE!!)"

Ok for not starting the engine, but what's the "run position"?
And you also say "with the key inside": I don't see the "usual hole" at the bottom right of the steering wheel to plug the key in...there's just the start/stop button...

Thanks for the help man.

Hold the start/stop button for 5 seconds, the key should at least be in the vehicle so it recognizes it. Don’t press the brake pedal though. That will turn all the electronics in the car on without starting it. I'm guessing you have a 2LT/LTZ model without the key ignition?

Also if you have your owners manual check section 9 page 14 to 9-17. It explains the different starting positions plus how to use the start/stop button. Sounds like you have keyless start, so look for service only mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hold the start/stop button for 5 seconds, the key should at least be in the vehicle so it recognizes it. Don’t press the brake pedal though. That will turn all the electronics in the car on without starting it. I'm guessing you have a 2LT/LTZ model without the key ignition?

Also if you have your owners manual check section 9 page 14 to 9-17. It explains the different starting positions plus how to use the start/stop button. Sounds like you have keyless start, so look for service only mode.
Exactly, keyless start and yes, it's an LTZ (2014).
All clear! I'll let you know 👊

So the latest update is up to 2016, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Exactly, keyless start and yes, it's an LTZ (2014).
All clear! I'll let you know

So the latest update is up to 2016, right?
As far as I know yes.

And yes please let me know as no one has tried it for me to see if it worked lmao
not sure if it’s locked to VIN or anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
How in the crap didnt you know that you had a touchscreen radio lol?
I hope this works out for you; I wish I could update mine... I wonder if the USB ports in the back exist on the basic 2016 limited LT model (technicallyish 1st Gen), and if using usb mods will do anything extra.

Weird how my car connects to my phone via Bluetooth (to make phone calls) but will not connect to play music (as far as I know) besides via USB.
Since it was kinda brought up, does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
How in the crap didnt you know that you had a touchscreen radio lol?
I hope this works out for you; I wish I could update mine... I wonder if the USB ports in the back exist on the basic 2016 limited LT model (technicallyish 1st Gen), and if using usb mods will do anything extra.

Weird how my car connects to my phone via Bluetooth (to make phone calls) but will not connect to play music (as far as I know) besides via USB.
Since it was kinda brought up, does anyone know anything about this?

If you can search a junkyard and find a Sonic or Camaro with the PDIM module you can add BT streaming to the basic radio, but on eBay it's probably going to be very expensive let alone if you can even find the part at all.

On Aliexpress you can find tesla style screens for around $100, tbh I would go with that and get extra functionality

1 - 11 of 11 Posts