Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone been a while since I have posted here. Well I'm up to 80k in mileage on my cruze and my check engine light just came on. Since currently I'm 100 miles away from home I felt I little choice but to pay 20 bucks for the onstar protection plan to see what could be up with my cruze. (i know i need to get a OBD reader) Anyways Onstar informed that the code the error code that was transmitted to them is a P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea). Which from what I have heard on means something is wrong with my emission system. Can anyone provide any more detail in this error. I assume that I'm going to have pay to have a sensor or something to that matter replaced. Thanks for any guys!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hey everyone been a while since I have posted here. Well I'm up to 80k in mileage on my cruze and my check engine light just came on. Since currently I'm 100 miles away from home I felt I little choice but to pay 20 bucks for the onstar protection plan to see what could be up with my cruze. (i know i need to get a OBD reader) Anyways Onstar informed that the code the error code that was transmitted to them is a P21DD Emission Reductant Tank Heating System (urea). Which from what I have heard on means something is wrong with my emission system. Can anyone provide any more detail in this error. I assume that I'm going to have pay to have a sensor or something to that matter replaced. Thanks for any guys!
Not the same car, but probably the same code. Looks like your DEF tank heater or something in that area

Error code P21DD - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wonderful. I got an appointment at the dealership next Thursday. I just realized I have the repair manual for the my car as well. Ill take a look at when i get home this morning for work.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
And here I thought I put a lot of miles on a car every year! I'm impressed with 80K on a 2014 ... and I was freaking out at putting on 60K in 20 months. Best of luck and hopefully it'll be covered under factory warranty if it's emissions based. Other than that, how are you liking the Diesel version? I just can't bring myself to spend the extra $ on the TD version when the Eco gets nearly the same or better mpg ... but then again, I've yet to drive a TD Cruze

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think i will go back to owning a gasoline car/truck again. I look forward to driving it everyday to work. Diesel has over 100k on his CTD. Is the emission system covered under warranty? I don't look much in to it and figured I would have to shelling out some for it anyways. The shop is also going to update the cars software to fix the sticky feeling from the steering wheel when driving on the highway. I thought that the steering column had to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
And here I thought I put a lot of miles on a car every year! I'm impressed with 80K on a 2014 ... and I was freaking out at putting on 60K in 20 months. Best of luck and hopefully it'll be covered under factory warranty if it's emissions based. Other than that, how are you liking the Diesel version? I just can't bring myself to spend the extra $ on the TD version when the Eco gets nearly the same or better mpg ... but then again, I've yet to drive a TD Cruze
I have 114K miles on my diesel Cruze and I can wholeheartedly say it's worth the money. It is an amazing cars in many ways that can't be expressed simply by the MPG. If you are interested, a few weeks ago I did a writeup on this forum on what it's like to drive 100K on a CTD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer diagnostic said the sensor was bad and the whole DEF tank needed to be replaced. $430.00 to have the thing replaced with labor. Anyone on here think that sounds right? I'll get my estimate here in little bit.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,016 Posts
The tank assembly is relatively expensive, so the price doesn't sound too far out of bounds. However, once you pull the trunk floor, the tank is in plain sight and it should just be a matter of a couple screws, a hose clamp or two and un-plugging/re-plugging electrical connectors, so if you have any experience with car repair, or even if you've repaired a desktop computer in the past, you might consider a DIY tank replacement, once you've verified that it's not possible to source the sensor without buying the whole tank assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stopped at the dealership this morning and got the part number they ordered. its 22978800 or number 15 on the illustration. I ordered it from another gm parts supplier for 155 including shipping. Saved me $71.00. This might be something I can replace myself if need be and if not it the dealership said its $130.00 to install. Also I got a BlueDrive OB2 scan tool for $99.00 from amazon. I cleared the code and so far it hasn't come back on it being so warm out I assume the error code might not come back until the cooler temperatures come back.
http://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone®-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431141984&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+driver

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I wonder what that reservoir assembly is, since it's not shaped like the tank. It looks more like a canister.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,016 Posts
From the diagram, it looks like it installs into the DEF tank the same way a fuel pump assembly would install through the top of a fuel tank. My guess would be that this canister drops into the tank and serves as the place from which the pump draws the fluid. In winter, the canister could contain liquid DEF while rest of the tank outside the reservoir is frozen, and the heater would thaw the DEF near the canister, which would flow in and provide enough fluid to keep DEF available in sub-12 degree temps when the DEF freezes. This would also explain why we might see strange DEF readings in those temps if the level sensor was part of or inside of that reservoir.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
received the part in the mail will be posting photos later on today. But yes it is a canister like shape. I might be able to do this swap but ill have to look at the instructions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all,

Just threw my first CEL, a P21DD code at 67K. I have reviewed the existing posts. I have a scheduled dealer maintenance for this Friday, 6/12. I did pay extra when I bought the car for the extended warranty. Can anyone identify which warranty covers the DEF system?

Not sure what I wrong with the DEF system, if its the heater or a sensor. I will be clearing the code tomorrow.

Has anyone replaced the heater?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hi all,

Just threw my first CEL, a P21DD code at 67K. I have reviewed the existing posts. I have a scheduled dealer maintenance for this Friday, 6/12. I did pay extra when I bought the car for the extended warranty. Can anyone identify which warranty covers the DEF system?

Not sure what I wrong with the DEF system, if its the heater or a sensor. I will be clearing the code tomorrow.

Has anyone replaced the heater?
Are you planning on clearing the code before you go to the dealer?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cleared the code this morning. CEL came back on in the afternoon.

Does the DEF system fall into the "emissions system" category for warranty? I hope not as it is not covered under my AWS platinum warranty... figures

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Cleared the code this morning. CEL came back on in the afternoon.

Does the DEF system fall into the "emissions system" category for warranty? I hope not as it is not covered under my AWS platinum warranty... figures
I don't have my owner's manual handy but I know it spells out the components that are covered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, went to the dealer. They had to replace the redundant heater. Not covered under manufacturer's warranty, but it was covered under my extended warranty (third party). Just had to pay the $100 deductible.

no more than 2 hours after picking car up, CEL came on. Same code, P21DD.

Back to the shop.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts