Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 2014 diesel Chevy Cruze this year and it has 148k miles. I’ve had problems with it since day 1 but the car is still in decent shape. I brought it to the shop I got it from and they couldnt find anything wrong with the air but whenever im driving it and put it in park or am idling at a stop light, my ice cold air blows hot and musty. As soon as i start going a decent speed it will kick back up to nice cold air.. idk if its because its a diesel and it runs so hot or if i have some other issue?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Is the radiator fan running at idle with AC on? It should be running constantly, not in bursts of high-off.

Have you tried to charge the system yourself? If so, it is probably overfilled and runs over pressure at idle and triggers a high pressure cutoff.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Not sure if this would make a difference or not but did you check the cabin air filter? Also does it make any difference if you have the air on recirculate or not

·
Registered
144 Posts
As @jblackburn mentioned, sounds like the compressor is turning off for some reason or another at idle. If you have access to some gauges you could verify the pressures and figure out if the system is overfill or low on freon.

I had musty smelling ac issues early on whenever the ac first started up. I had the dealer enable the afterblow feature (cycles the cabin fan on a few times after shutdown to dry out any lingering moisture) and changed the cabin air filter which resolved that issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There is a low pressure switch for the refrigerant in the air conditoning. It it senses low pressure - the AC compressor will not engage. And if the pressure is marginal - it might be below the threshold while idling.

SInce they said the AC was fine - I am assuming pressures are okay. I would replace the switch. I have had one fail in the past.

You might also might want to look for a better mechanic. ;-)

jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts