Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Cruze with 37K miles wont start all of a sudden. I've never had any problems with the car. Just yesterday I went out to start the car, it cranked and sounded like the timing was off and then shut off. Sometimes it just cranks and doesn't try to start at all. Car is completely stock. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Powertrain warranty = I'd get it towed to your dealer.

Reactions: Poje

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
The only time I had ours do that was when the fuel gelled.

Being a diesel, there is no spark timing - so I'd be willing to bet it is fuel related.

At 37k, this should be covered under the powertrain warranty, but obviously getting it there might be a problem, haha.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Towing to dealer does make sense. Could also be a glow plug issue as well. Would seem if no fuel equals no start. Could be getting fuel but no electrical glow plugs, would equal no start. I think there is a glow plug module that controls the glow plugs.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Banned
260 Posts
Was this shortly after a fill up and where do you buy most of your fuel, high volume truck stop or lowest price station off the beaten path?? If high volume truck stop probably not fuel issues. I ran my fuel filter to about 39K with 5% left on the DIC without any noticeable issues but most of my fuel is from high vol truck stops and I always use additives.

Washington State had temp of 53F around 8AM today so I would not expect glow plugs to be an issue. Might require extra cranking to start though if they were not working but should have started with a lot of white smoke.

If everything was normal the day before probably something simple like EGR valve stuck open due carbon or a sensor died due to infant mortality.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
The only issue I ever had with mine not starting was because the EGR valve was stuck. Sometimes it would start and run for no more than a second then sound like it was getting choked out, other times it wouldn't start at all but it would always crank just fine. Mine was covered in enough soot that it was simply stuck and it was an easy fix. Although the part was replaced under warranty with an improved part.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I remember a couple people on here had issues with stuck EGR and car not starting. I'd tend to go that route rather than fuel or glow plugs, when starting to troubleshoot. Please keep us posted.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Although the part was replaced under warranty with an improved part.
How many mile on the car when you had problems and do you know what was allegedly improve about the new EGR valve?

I remember a couple people on here had issues with stuck EGR and car not starting. I'd tend to go that route rather than fuel or glow plugs, when starting to troubleshoot. Please keep us posted.
I know you are the high miler around here and don't believe in cleaning your MAP sensor but have you had any issues with the EGR on your TD? Did you ever check the EGR to see the actual state the way many of us have done with the MAP sensor? Maybe another maintenance item if one wants to avoid an unpredictable no start issue at an inconvenient time?

The EGR on my F350 6.0L PS crudes up very fast but has not cause a no start yet but has cause irregular turbo operation when extremely cold outside, maybe because I clean it on a regular basis? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
My 2014 Cruze with 37K miles wont start all of a sudden. I've never had any problems with the car. Just yesterday I went out to start the car, it cranked and sounded like the timing was off and then shut off. Sometimes it just cranks and doesn't try to start at all. Car is completely stock. Any ideas?
Did you perhaps just refuel, or let a family member or friend borrow the car and they topped it off for you before returning it??? It could be a missfuel issue. Grabbing a green handle does not always equal diesel... something to check out and look into for sure...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Fuel filter is new, I have about 1/4 tank of fuel left in the car. I'm about to check the EGR valve now. Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated. Almost forgot, I put a scanner on it after cranking it a few times and it pulled code P0335 - Crankshaft Positions Sensors. Anyone know where this is located?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
How many mile on the car when you had problems and do you know what was allegedly improve about the new EGR valve?
Around 24,500 miles. I don't know what was improved on the part. I think it's spring loaded so maybe a stronger spring so it doesn't get stuck as easily? All I was told was it was getting replaced with a revised part.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I know you are the high miler around here and don't believe in cleaning your MAP sensor but have you had any issues with the EGR on your TD? Did you ever check the EGR to see the actual state the way many of us have done with the MAP sensor? Maybe another maintenance item if one wants to avoid an unpredictable no start issue at an inconvenient time?

The EGR on my F350 6.0L PS crudes up very fast but has not cause a no start yet but has cause irregular turbo operation when extremely cold outside, maybe because I clean it on a regular basis? Thanks.
I've never had an EGR issue. I've never taken a look at it, but it's no doubt a good idea that I do, or at least locate it. I don't even know where it is.

Fuel filter is new, I have about 1/4 tank of fuel left in the car. I'm about to check the EGR valve now. Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated. Almost forgot, I put a scanner on it after cranking it a few times and it pulled code P0335 - Crankshaft Positions Sensors. Anyone know where this is located?
Well it turned out to be a plugged EGR. I pulled it out and sure enough it was stuck open. You guys rock, thanks for helping me out. I guess the P0335 was due to excessive cranking and not starting.
Great to hear you isolated the problem with our help! Did you clean it, or replace it? Did the car start afterwards?

·
Banned
260 Posts
I've never had an EGR issue. I've never taken a look at it, but it's no doubt a good idea that I do, or at least locate it. I don't even know where it is.

Great to hear you isolated the problem with our help! Did you clean it, or replace it? Did the car start afterwards?
Hope this solves the OP problem, appear relatively cheap from Rock $117+ change.

Text White Line art Line Font Auto part Product Automotive fuel system Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part

Reactions: diesel

·
Banned
260 Posts

Hope this solves the OP problem, appear relatively cheap from Rock $117+ change. If we could get final results from the OP?
Note the the plate (item 20) in diagram is recommented to be replaced at same time. Is that a gasket??

View attachment 226346 View attachment 226354

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just cleaned the EGR, I soaked it in diesel and used an acid brush to get into the hard to reach areas. After it was cleaned I reinstalled it and the car fired up without any issue at all. Everything seems to be back to normal. I can't believe that it was gunked up so bad with only having 37,000 miles on the odometer. I just might have to look into an EGR delete. I foresee this happening again.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
Now that you've fixed it, see if the dealer will replace it under warranty with the new part, since it'll definitely do that again, it sounds like.

·
Banned
260 Posts
I just cleaned the EGR, I soaked it in diesel and used an acid brush to get into the hard to reach areas. After it was cleaned I reinstalled it and the car fired up without any issue at all. Everything seems to be back to normal. I can't believe that it was gunked up so bad with only having 37,000 miles on the odometer. I just might have to look into an EGR delete. I foresee this happening again.
From a historical maintenance perspective I'm kind of interested in the data on your vehicle i.e. do you drive mostly city or high way miles and about what % city vs hwy, do you buy diesel mostly from high vol truck stops, do you use any diesel fuel additives?

Just wondering whether its the city drivers that are having the most problems with the EGR? My driving is mostly hwy at 60-70 mph at a rate of 120 miles a
day due to work, with only a few local miles on weekends. No problems yet with the EGR and there is 57K miles on the clock. Trying to decide whether I should pull the EGR and clean so that I maintain my goal of the car being available 100% of the time 24/7 with out any unplanned down time except for scheduled "routine" maintenance.

Would consider a short posting of the steps involved for pulling the EGR and any before and after pictures you might have of the cleaning?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts