Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2014 Diesel Cruze Wont Start

25742 Views 33 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ewyborny
My 2014 Cruze with 37K miles wont start all of a sudden. I've never had any problems with the car. Just yesterday I went out to start the car, it cranked and sounded like the timing was off and then shut off. Sometimes it just cranks and doesn't try to start at all. Car is completely stock. Any ideas?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Towing to dealer does make sense. Could also be a glow plug issue as well. Would seem if no fuel equals no start. Could be getting fuel but no electrical glow plugs, would equal no start. I think there is a glow plug module that controls the glow plugs.

Reactions: MRO1791

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Interesting. I drove my 09 Jetta TDI 183,000 miles with no EGR problem. First CEL on the VW was at 175,000 miles and that was a Differential Pressure Switch @$500. That along with the Buyback offer prompted me to make the leap to Chevy. Despite a water pump failure and lack of spare, I LOVE the Cruze much better than the TDI.

I'm brand new to the Cruze and this forum, all the discussion in this thread and others about the Cruze EGR makes me wonder if Cleaning The EGR should be a maintenance item, like every 50K miles or so? I'm no mechanic and realize comparing the Chevy to the VW is apples to oranges. My Cruze has 64,000 miles and I'm considering pulling/cleaning EGR just to avoid the "non-start" condition at an inconvenient time...has anyone else gone that route and what did you find? Any recommendations AGAINST taking this action? Thanks!
I think have been others that have cleaned the EGR , I don't see a major problem with that. Mine has 26k miles and I haven't had any issues. I at least once a week drive it pretty hard after warmed up.

Reactions: Rivergoer

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I would imagine it'd be a good idea for me to pull mine off and take a look. I'm sure it's not pristine at 202K miles.
At the worst, you could just replace it as a precaution if it looks nasty and doesn't clean up, it sounds like it can obviously cause a no start situation which might not be fun several hundred miles from home.

Reactions: diesel
1 - 4 of 4 Posts