1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why do journalists always put Americans on the "snob" list?

He states "European buyers, Federico said candidly, tolerate more engine and mechanical noise than do U.S. buyers."

That may have been true 20 yrs ago, but the target consumer for the Cruze is not the middle aged or the "nearly-deads". They're the ones who care about how "quiet" their car is. The only thing I want quiet in my car is my wife and kids. When they figure out how to accomplish that, I'll tolerate an open exhaust on a diesel. :D

·
Epic Beard Man
5,415 Posts
I like diesels and the prospect of a Cruze diesel coming to the US is what originally lured me to the 'dark side'. At the time, it seemed like the timeline would work well, to have delivery right about now. Well, as we've seen, that didn't quite work out as planned.

I'd be more than thrilled to open it up with an intake and exhaust, and do tuning to get rid of the need for urea. Urea is nothing to be scared of- at first it seemed a little intimidating in the 2011 Super Duty, but now they've got tuning to go around all that I believe. I'm glad I don't have all that added 'technology' to my engine, though. I convinced my dad to get his 2010 SD with the old diesel just for that reason. Intake+tune+exhaust=about 600 hp in a dual rear wheel truck!

In the end, I'm glad I went with the 1.4T. Besides that I don't care for the new body style that will no doubt be attached to EcoD, I think it will be cheaper and less maintenance to stick with the 1.4T. I'll just sacrifice that wonderful smell and sound.

I guess it just gives me even more motivation to get that diesel sitting into the garage swapped into the Excursion!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...rumor has it that the "new" Cruze body doesn't happen until the 2015 model year, so the mid-year 2014 ECO-D shouldn't be too much different than the 2011-2013 models.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd say this crap pisses me off but its more this piss craps me off.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we need stuff like urea injection to meet the EPA emissions standards. Our emissions standards are even higher than Europe's.

If I was getting a diesel Cruze the first thing I'd do is tune it out.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The urea system will be a positive IMO. I had a Cummins that used agressive exhaust recirculation instead of urea and it was a disaster. Excessive soot would build up in the turbo and make the variable geometry mechanism stick. I had 14 CEL's on my truck before Chrysler bought it back. I think Cummins abandoned their method and adopted urea in later models.

I still don't see the Cruze diesel working out very well from an economics standpoint since diesel costs so much more than regular gas.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I still don't see the Cruze diesel working out very well from an economics standpoint since diesel costs so much more than regular gas.
Diesel in Phoenix costs about 14 cents more than premium unleaded. A gain of 10 mpg more than makes up for the cost difference.

European buyers, Federico said candidly, tolerate more engine and mechanical noise than do U.S. buyers.
*sigh* This bovine exhaust again? None of the diesels I drove in Austria were noisy, even by US standards. American diesels (like the late, unlamented Jeep Liberty) are noisy because American manufacturers are unwilling to design quiet engines: keep 'em noisy and keep people sucking on the dino juice.

As for the main topic: MB has been using urea in their diesels for years. It's simply not an issue from a performance, maintenance, or environmental aspect.

·
158 Posts
diesel here in MO, costs about the same or less than premium.. usually runs anywhere from a few cents above regular to about what premium does.
About the same here in Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gas station up the street from my house in Glen Burnie, MD sells Diesel about 10 cents cheaper than 93 and only like 20 cents more than regular.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Aeroscout977
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing