Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving around the other day I went to grab 5th gear and it was like I was hitting the far right side of the throw for my shifter. So no 5th and 6th gear. Got home and popped off the grey shift linkage bushing in the engine compartment. With the linkage disconnected the shifter had full range of motion. When i manually moved the arm it attaches to at the top of the transaxel (sry dunno what its called). It would move into 2 distint positions but not far forward enough that ot would allow the shifter to reach 5th and 6th if the bushing was attached......any clues anyone? Im pretty handy and want to fix it myself but what am i in for?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
If the linkages on the top of the trans are not going where they need to then it sounds like something inside the trans is binding up not allowing it to get to 5/6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So driving around the other day I went to grab 5th gear and it was like I was hitting the far right side of the throw for my shifter. So no 5th and 6th gear. Got home and popped off the grey shift linkage bushing in the engine compartment. With the linkage disconnected the shifter had full range of motion. When i manually moved the arm it attaches to at the top of the transaxel (sry dunno what its called). It would move into 2 distint positions but not far forward enough that ot would allow the shifter to reach 5th and 6th if the bushing was attached......any clues anyone? Im pretty handy and want to fix it myself but what am i in for?
Hi did you ever figure out what was going on with your cruze mine does the same thing and it won't go in to reverse also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it out after much hair pulling. On the top of your transaxle. Where the shift linkages connect to what looks like an upside down soda can. On said soda can there is a little black plastic piece. That plastic piece has 3 positions. If you pull it outward to the outer most position you can use all gears. The middle position means you can only use gears 1-4. And it inner most only lets you use 1 and 2 if I remember correctly. I somehow bumped that little switch and moved it to the center position. I was able to easily with my hand pull it back out to the outer position. Youll hear it click into place.

Not idea what its for or why it would be needed. But thats what fixed my issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bro you save me 3000 bucks thank you

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,936 Posts
I figured it out after much hair pulling. On the top of your transaxle. Where the shift linkages connect to what looks like an upside down soda can. On said soda can there is a little black plastic piece. That plastic piece has 3 positions. If you pull it outward to the outer most position you can use all gears. The middle position means you can only use gears 1-4. And it inner most only lets you use 1 and 2 if I remember correctly. I somehow bumped that little switch and moved it to the center position. I was able to easily with my hand pull it back out to the outer position. Youll hear it click into place.

Not idea what its for or why it would be needed. But thats what fixed my issue.
Bro you save me 3000 bucks thank you

It sounds like your transmissions might take a lot of abuse. I would consider changing the fluid too.
How-To: Change the Manual Transmission Fluid
AMSOIL Products for the 2011-2015, 2016 Limited Gen1 Cruze

1 - 6 of 6 Posts