Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Was wondering if someone has a go to replacement for a 2014 diesel cruze, I cant seem to find the thread size so I can make sure what I buy is the proper replacement.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi all,

Was wondering if someone has a go to replacement for a 2014 diesel cruze, I cant seem to find the thread size so I can make sure what I buy is the proper replacement.
On gmpartsdirect.com , I found p/n 55588255 as the oil drain plug for a 2014 diesel Cruze. But no specs.

Rockauto lists NEEDA 654236 for the 2014 diesel Cruze with specs of M14-1.5 , which seems about right for a drain plug.

Autozone lists several Needa M14-1.5 oil drain plugs, but not the 654236 <head bang>

Anyway, hope this helps.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just finished the oil change. It seems the M14-1.5 is incorrect as I bought a replacement that size and it didnt work. Went up to a M18-1.5 and fit just find will be watching for leaks for the time being and probably ordering the factory replacement part.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Just finished the oil change. It seems the M14-1.5 is incorrect as I bought a replacement that size and it didnt work. Went up to a M18-1.5 and fit just find will be watching for leaks for the time being and probably ordering the factory replacement part.
Sorry about that. I apologize. I went back and checked - Rockauto gave us a bum steer on the M14-1.5.

I now wish I had cross checked gmpartsgiant . I hope this doesn't cause you too much trouble :(

Doug

·
Registered
433 Posts
I really don't like the stock plug on these becuase of the holes in it. Causes oil to spray in all sort of direction.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've thought about it. However, the idea of driving down the road and something knocking it off scares me.
With all the low hanging plastic covering well below the pan. Probably pretty slim. I'm thinking about it. Will have to investigate.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I've never had problem with the oil drain spraying ewverywhere.

The filter on the other hand.....

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I've never had problem with the oil drain spraying ewverywhere.

The filter on the other hand.....
It doesn't really spray everywhere, it just doesn't come out in one solid stream like it should! Why couldn't they just put on a removable plug like it should be?

.And yes I would like to talk to the person who designed that engine! Surely they could find a easier to reach place to put that filter!

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
It doesn't really spray everywhere, it just doesn't come out in one solid stream like it should! Why couldn't they just put on a removable plug like it should be?

.And yes I would like to talk to the person who designed that engine! Surely they could find a easier to reach place to put that filter!
Youre suppose to access it by taking the tire off but ain't nobody got time for that.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,410 Posts
I didn't have an issue with the drain plug either - drained out beautifully down into my pan.

Regarding the filter, also didn't have too much of an issue with reaching that, though I'm not sure if it's because the drain gutter is sitting in the garage after it fell off and took out the CV boot. 1/2" drive ratchet with the same 1 1/4" socket (shallow) that I use on the Cobalt's filter cap fit right down there and was easy to loosen the cap. I don't remember if I took the filter out the bottom (I had the aeroshield off) or out the top. It's down there, but it wasn't too bad to get to.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I didn't have an issue with the drain plug either - drained out beautifully down into my pan.

Regarding the filter, also didn't have too much of an issue with reaching that, though I'm not sure if it's because the drain gutter is sitting in the garage after it fell off and took out the CV boot. 1/2" drive ratchet with the same 1 1/4" socket (shallow) that I use on the Cobalt's filter cap fit right down there and was easy to loosen the cap. I don't remember if I took the filter out the bottom (I had the aeroshield off) or out the top. It's down there, but it wasn't too bad to get to.
Yeah my drain gutter fell off too, but I still had the shield on and oil ran everywhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
An oil extractor will solve most if not all of the issues with changing the oil on these cars. I plan on installing a magnetic drain plug next oil change and doing extractions from now on.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,410 Posts
Yeah my drain gutter fell off too, but I still had the shield on and oil ran everywhere.
I just got a form-a-funnel, so I am hoping I will be able to get that under the filter during the next oil change, so that doesn't happen. Even with leaving the shield on it still made a mess all over the subframe. But getting to, and removing the filter wasn't too bad - at least with the shield off (though I don't remember if having the shield off made a difference there).

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just park my rear tires on a couple 2x4 blocks, so just that small 1.5" lift is all I need so the built in oil funnel under the filter drains perfectly through the hole. I also stick a wide funnel in there, through the wheel well, so any that may miss gets caught by the wider mouth of the funnel.

But yeah, the drain plug on the pan has holes in it so when I back it out the oil comes out in 3 or 4 different directions. And because there are holes in the plug there's no way to hold it against the pan and pull it at once, it starts draining like that when it's only backed out a few turns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts