Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 the rear door is not aligned properly along with the rear bumper. I saw this has happened before on a few occasions to other members in here. It has been about a month since I took it to the dealer and they took several pictures to send to GM. Yesterday I called and was told that they are still waiting on GM and that they would get back to me. He said that for body and paint issues they have to go back to where the car was made and it takes time etc..... Is this normal? I am not ain that big of a hurry right now but I would at least like a time line for how long it will take.... How long have some of you waited on GM to allow a warranty repair?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Many cruze doors don't line up as is the same with many GM cars. Look at the door alignment on the Caddy SRX. They have not fixed the panel alignment on that car for 4 years now. I have had 2 cruzes now and on the second one I had look through 40 cruzes to find one where the doors lined up. Replacing the door will not fix it. The problem is poor quality control on the stampings and the mounting hole measurments at the factory durring body construction. They need to slot the hinges.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With my rear disc caliper problems, first dealer wouldn't do anything without permission from someone at GM and they kept on telling him to change everything except the calipers. Said, if he didn't obey, he would get struck with the repair bill.

Second dealer had no problem with this, just went ahead and changed them. So I can only guess, is this a GM policy or is it because your service manager is paranoid?

But what was changed was done in front of me with the service manager on the phone talking directly to some tech service place. Didn't have to wait months.

My advice from upper GM service reps was to try another dealer.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
We're very sorry to hear this, tommyt37. I understand that you have been in contact with your dealership and you are waiting for a response about your vehicle concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name and we will look further into your concern. We look forward to helping!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
This makes no sense to me. The doors are aligned when the car comes out of the paint shop. Then they are removed from the car for installation of interior work. Finally they are put back on the car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Kind of reminds of the service manager of my old Toyota dealer where I purchased my Supra. Was even afraid of going to the restroom without calling Japan first.

What's your history? Assumed you purchased a brand new Cruze with a misaligned rear door and bumper and you accepted it this way?

Let's just talk about the door, can you even close it? With mine is a very even 1/8" around the front, bottom, and rear edges of the door. Four bolts hold it on, two man job, one to align it, the other to loosen and tighten the bolts. At most, a two minute job and should be less than a 1/32nd inch of error.

If this cannot be done, is it the door or the body? Can be either, if the body, need a new car.

Bumpers have slots in them and can be bend to align properly, no big deal, unless the body is also bent. In this case, another reason to get a new car. Surprised it passed inspection, unless you had a rollover.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I have seen a few cruze around here with very poorly aligned doors. I will try to get a picture of one in the next few weeks. Its obvious when you see one as the chrome strip along the door edge doesn't line up like it should with the plastic triangle chrome strip. The one car I will try to get a picture of looks to be off 1/4-1/2in, bad enough I spotted it while driving by.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen a few cruze around here with very poorly aligned doors. I will try to get a picture of one in the next few weeks. Its obvious when you see one as the chrome strip along the door edge doesn't line up like it should with the plastic triangle chrome strip. The one car I will try to get a picture of looks to be off 1/4-1/2in, bad enough I spotted it while driving by.
Yup mine was obvious when you look at it from the rear. It looks like it doesn't shut all the way yet the door is shut. I watched the guy open and slam it shut a few times then they broke out the camera. Also the bumper cover looks bad as well

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're very sorry to hear this, tommyt37. I understand that you have been in contact with your dealership and you are waiting for a response about your vehicle concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name and we will look further into your concern. We look forward to helping!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks PM sent

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People will tell you if your Car is out of commission for longer than 30 days you might qualify for the Lemon Law. Personally I don't think a misaligned Door will qualify under the law?
Nope I would say no lemon law. Car drives fine just waiting on a call back from dealer.... but if it was I would get leather seats next time! lol

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kind of reminds of the service manager of my old Toyota dealer where I purchased my Supra. Was even afraid of going to the restroom without calling Japan first.

What's your history? Assumed you purchased a brand new Cruze with a misaligned rear door and bumper and you accepted it this way?

Let's just talk about the door, can you even close it? With mine is a very even 1/8" around the front, bottom, and rear edges of the door. Four bolts hold it on, two man job, one to align it, the other to loosen and tighten the bolts. At most, a two minute job and should be less than a 1/32nd inch of error.

Yes closes fine.... I thought it would be an easy fix for dealer as well but was told "Cruze" doors can't be aligned you have to replace the door.... it sticks out from the body a bit.... do I guess you could call it a "depth" issue? i'll take pics later

If this cannot be done, is it the door or the body? Can be either, if the body, need a new car.

Bumpers have slots in them and can be bend to align properly, no big deal, unless the body is also bent. In this case, another reason to get a new car. Surprised it passed inspection, unless you had a rollover.
yes brand new didn't notice it till after a week or 2....

Yes closes fine.... I thought it would be an easy fix for dealer as well but was told "Cruze" doors can't be aligned you have to replace the door.... it sticks out from the body a bit.... do I guess you could call it a "depth" issue? i'll take pics later

no roll over noticed after 1000 miles or so.... again i'll take a few pictures

Yeah maybe that is why it is taking so long? I dunno kinda odd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts