Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between a 2014 vs 2015 Cruze Diesel?

Is the front fascia and LED running lights the only significant difference? Or were there other refinements/changes that are more than skin deep?

All other things being equal like mileage, price and options is there a general preference between the two model years?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
What are the differences between a 2014 vs 2015 Cruze Diesel?

Is the front fascia and LED running lights the only significant difference? Or were there other refinements/changes that are more than skin deep?

All other things being equal like mileage, price and options is there a general preference between the two model years?
2015 has the same engine, same body, same mileage as 2014. The front end as you said has the LED DRLs. As for the interior, it has the interior trunk release switch and door lock/unlock on the driver and passenger door instead of the dash. The 2014's do not have interior trunk release and have the lock/unlock on the dash. The radio buttons may be a little different, not sure on that one.

If you're shopping for one, it'll all come down to personal preference and price range (most 2015's will likely be priced higher than the 2014's simply because they're a model year newer) and whether you like the front end on the 2015 or not. I personally do not and decided not to wait for its release and went ahead with my purchase of my 2014 back in August 2014.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
There were no mechanical changes published.

Just the new facia and front lighting near as I can tell.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
IIRC someone mentioned that the backup camera on the '15 has the guidance lines. Whereas my '14 does not.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I did not know about the lock buttons and trunk release...

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Thanks Guys. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I did not know about the lock buttons and trunk release...
I am used to the door lock/unlock being on the dash now, not that big of a deal but definitely something that'll need a bit of an adjustment period to remember. As for the trunk release, that's one that I would have found useful. The trunk release on the trunk lid itself is kind of hidden and hard for someone to find if they haven't used one on a Cruze before. I installed a small switch myself into my 2014 and mounted it beside the ODBII port. Works great.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am used to the door lock/unlock being on the dash now, not that big of a deal but definitely something that'll need a bit of an adjustment period to remember. As for the trunk release, that's one that I would have found useful. The trunk release on the trunk lid itself is kind of hidden and hard for someone to find if they haven't used one on a Cruze before. I installed a small switch myself into my 2014 and mounted it beside the ODBII port. Works great.
My 2006 Jetta TDI has trunk release on the door or on the remote, but DOES NOT have it on the outside of the car on the trunk!!! It is very dumb that VW removed it from the late 2006 TDIs and 2007 gassers probably to save a few bucks but it is very dumb! Especially since they are known to have driver door wiring issues and now the only way I can open the trunk is to fold down the seat and release it from the anti-kidnap lever...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I don't think the buttons on radio are different, the MY LINK I think provides some additional info and will also create a HOT SPOT for internet access on the 2015. I have a 2015 Diesel, I haven't used the HOT SPOT thing yet and probably wont. I had a 14 ECO, I really like the trunk release button on the 15.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
How does the wifi in the vehicle work anyhow? Do you have to add it (the car/truck) to your regular cellular package or is it billed some other way???
I am not really sure how it works to be honest, I don't plan on using it even though it is free for first 3 months. I am so connected everywhere in my life as it is I don't see much value in it for my lifestyle.

Reactions: PanJet

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not really sure how it works to be honest, I don't plan on using it even though it is free for first 3 months. I am so connected everywhere in my life as it is I don't see much value in it for my lifestyle.
I looked it up to answer my own question... pay service that most everyone already has in their pocket... probably not too popular beyond the free period

Reactions: PanJet

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I looked it up to answer my own question... pay service that most everyone already has in their pocket... probably not too popular beyond the free period
It could be useful for passengers to surf the web while on long trips.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It could be useful for passengers to surf the web while on long trips.
Why would that be any different than surfing the web on your cell phone, which would probably be at a less expensive data rate? It's not faster or anything. I do not see an advantage at all...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why would that be any different than surfing the web on your cell phone, which would probably be at a less expensive data rate? It's not faster or anything. I do not see an advantage at all...
I would think a passenger being able to use a laptop or tablet while on a trip would be better than using a cell phone for reading on the internet...or the kids playing a game on a laptop would be much better than on a cell phone...that said I most likely wouldn't pay for the service either...heck I really liked the On Star when I had it for the free trial...but I think it's just too pricey for the amount I would really use it.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think a passenger being able to use a laptop or tablet while on a trip would be better than using a cell phone for reading on the internet...or the kids playing a game on a laptop would be much better than on a cell phone...that said I most likely wouldn't pay for the service either...heck I really liked the On Star when I had it for the free trial...but I think it's just too pricey for the amount I would really use it.
Correct, but most cell phones can act as a wifi hotspot to share data as well... Again, it seems odd to me to pay more for something I already have in my pocket!!! For this same reason, I will not pay extra for a car with navigation now that we all have and use smartphones for navigation and doesn't require updates that are expensive from the dealer. Granted many of the Diesel Cruzes were optioned with navigation, so I may buy a car that has it, but I will not pay extra for it and if I were to buy new again I would not pay for navigation...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, I just turn the hotspot on my iPhone on, and my daughters use it. This wifi in the car is overpriced, also gives an opportunity for your car to be hacked.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Correct, but most cell phones can act as a wifi hotspot to share data as well... Again, it seems odd to me to pay more for something I already have in my pocket!!! For this same reason, I will not pay extra for a car with navigation now that we all have and use smartphones for navigation and doesn't require updates that are expensive from the dealer. Granted many of the Diesel Cruzes were optioned with navigation, so I may buy a car that has it, but I will not pay extra for it and if I were to buy new again I would not pay for navigation...
if you have Onstar it provides turn by turn navigation and comes up on radio or DIC display, it is very nice to use. I have a trip coming up soon to Chicago and it works very well.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To nudge back on topic... Are there any other differences between an 2014 and 2015 Cruze Diesel? Any ideas on production numbers for each year?

·
Registered
208 Posts
My wife loves the wifi. Uses it all the time on trips. I think it is new for 15. Is the belly pan the same on the 14 & 15? If anyone know production numbers that would be great.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,179 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I used it for the free term and thats it. not worth the price they charge. they want like 50$ for 4 gigs and you burn through it fast, for 500 minutes on the cruze phone they want 150$. i honestly would have preferred the 4glte crap was never in my cruze so i can have a normal or shark fin antenna vs the giant mast i have

1 - 20 of 26 Posts