Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chevy Dealer has been giving me a Fully Synthetic Oil Change. I would like to switch to a less expensive oil change service.
Is it OK to run Semi-synthetic or Regular oil in the Cruze 1.4 Turbo engine?

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
My last G.M ACDelco fully synthetic oil change turned out to be $24 with the Rebate, I had posted the link here, You need to use fully synthetic oil, it used to be semi synthetic for some owners and G.M, changed the requirement. It's up to you?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's recommended to only use an oil that meets or exceeds dexos1 oil specifications. You're not going to find a conventional oil that meets them, and are very unlikely to find a semisynthetic. A dealer is also not obliged to change oil with one that isn't dexos certified, nor is it a good idea to ask them too.

All that said, Walmart sells Supertech 5w30 Full Synthetic High Mileage oil in 5qt just for UNDER $14 at many stores. It's a quality oil at an amazing price. Find a shop that will let you supply your own oil, and supply them that. Or learn how to change your own oil and invest in the minimal amount of tools required to do it safely if you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's recommended to only use an oil that meets or exceeds dexos1 oil specifications. You're not going to find a conventional oil that meets them, and are very unlikely to find a semisynthetic. A dealer is also not obliged to change oil with one that isn't dexos certified, nor is it a good idea to ask them too.

All that said, Walmart sells Supertech 5w30 Full Synthetic High Mileage oil in 5qt just for UNDER $14 at many stores. It's a quality oil at an amazing price. Find a shop that will let you supply your own oil, and supply them that. Or learn how to change your own oil and invest in the minimal amount of tools required to do it safely if you can.
Please DO NOT run high mileage oil. It is only useful if you have main seal leaks or timing cover seal leaks. It will cause seals AND gaskets to expand and if you stop using it they will contract and you will leak like a sieve. My Cruze only has 4 quart capacity--lots of heat because of turbo-use full synthetic, period. Twice the change interval and usually twice the price so it costs THE SAME PER MILE as conventional oil (3000 mile interval vs 6000). You do not want coked/burned oil build up in your engine.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You can buy good quality synthetic for under $25 at Walmart. Pennzoil is all I use. Dexos1 labeled.

Anything less is not recommended.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use amsoil 5w30 signature series. You can go 20k miles... just change the filter around 10k miles. It's more pricey but the longer intervals makes up for it and it's better protection

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. I am also using Amsoil. Many people comsider it the best you can buy. In the long run it is cheap insurance for engine durability. Longer change interval too makes the more expensive price easier to handle. Since my last change not the slightest decrease on the dipstick. Living in south Florida it is also better for hotter ambient temperatures. Also use the WIX gold filters.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Please DO NOT run high mileage oil. It is only useful if you have main seal leaks or timing cover seal leaks. It will cause seals AND gaskets to expand and if you stop using it they will contract and you will leak like a sieve. My Cruze only has 4 quart capacity--lots of heat because of turbo-use full synthetic, period. Twice the change interval and usually twice the price so it costs THE SAME PER MILE as conventional oil (3000 mile interval vs 6000). You do not want coked/burned oil build up in your engine.
Please do not dismiss others recommendations if you haven't researched.
The oil I recommended is a fully synthetic, API SN+, ILSAC GF5, dexos1 gen2 certified oil. (Mobil1 High Mileage isn't dexos or GF5)It's high mileage status is inconsequential as it is licensed at the most current spec for GM oil.
You have no proof that it's additive package causes seal swelling. The bottle for the oil doesn't state it that it affects seals, and it approvals mean it meets or exceeds all specs for the OPs vehicle and GMs(or any aftermarket ) warranty.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm a fan of Amsoil as well. It's great stuff, to be sure. But it's $12/quart.....
Super Tech is $2.80/qt.

It's MORE than 4X the price, it's less convenient(by a HUGE margin) to source, and wouldn't likely save the OP any money. This is a huge problem for someone concerned with the price of a typical menu board synthetic oil change price.

Additionally, one of two things happens....
A: Susan continues to go to her chosen garage at regular 5000mile(or whenever )intervals in order to get tire rotations and have the vehicle looked over. This further adds cost to the Amsoil model by eliminating any LOF/Rotate/vehicle health report deals they may take advantage of, doesn't save ANY time, and adds a new level of planning/tracking in order to keep up with the modified Amsoil extended OCI service schedule.

B: Susan only goes to a shop half as much, only at filter and oil/filter changes. Loses tire life due to improper rotation schedule, ends up having filters and fluids go beyond their recommended intervals, and potentially suffers additional loss of money/vehicle uptime due to half as many inspections resulting in potentially small repairs growing to large ones, or worn parts become failed parts since they aren't being inspected.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm a fan of Amsoil as well. It's great stuff, to be sure. But it's $12/quart.....
Super Tech is $2.80/qt.

It's MORE than 4X the price, it's less convenient(by a HUGE margin) to source, and wouldn't likely save the OP any money. This is a huge problem for someone concerned with the price of a typical menu board synthetic oil change price.

Additionally, one of two things happens....
A: Susan continues to go to her chosen garage at regular 5000mile(or whenever )intervals in order to get tire rotations and have the vehicle looked over. This further adds cost to the Amsoil model by eliminating any LOF/Rotate/vehicle health report deals they may take advantage of, doesn't save ANY time, and adds a new level of planning/tracking in order to keep up with the modified Amsoil extended OCI service schedule.

B: Susan only goes to a shop half as much, only at filter and oil/filter changes. Loses tire life due to improper rotation schedule, ends up having filters and fluids go beyond their recommended intervals, and potentially suffers additional loss of money/vehicle uptime due to half as many inspections resulting in potentially small repairs growing to large ones, or worn parts become failed parts since they aren't being inspected.
Good point, I figure anyone who uses amsoil signature series is more of a enthusiast and does their own work. I use the trip 1 and 2 to track miles. I reset trip 1 when I fill up on gas to track the miles on a tank and I reset trip 2 with every amsoil change.

Normally check oil level once a week for oil consumption and around 5k miles rotate the tires in my driveway, you can use the spare compact tire to do this easily.

I've had 2 different places cross thread my lug nuts and I had to snap them off to remove the tire... granted I called the places and they replaced the snapped stud for free, but it was inconvenient.

Cruze uses aluminum and calls for a specific torque on lug nuts... most places just use pneumatic air and drill them on... can warp your rotors and I'm sure not applying even pressure.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've had 2 different places cross thread my lug nuts and I had to snap them off to remove the tire... granted I called the places and they replaced the snapped stud for free, but it was inconvenient.

Cruze uses aluminum and calls for a specific torque on lug nuts... most places just use pneumatic air and drill them on... can warp your rotors and I'm sure not applying even pressure.
It's hard to fathom this in 2020, but, no doubt, there are some dinosaurs out there - not just individuals, but corporations - that don't understand the importance of getting this right.

Discount Tire has always impressed me because they use a torque wrench to put the final touches on the lug nuts. I avoid any places that don't do this. One big tire and battery company comes to mind. Furthermore, it's not enough to have a corporate policy - it has to be taught and made part of the corporate culture.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
969 Posts
Discount Tire has always impressed me because they use a torque wrench to put the final touches on the lug nuts. I avoid any places that don't do this.

Doug

Discount Tire has been great to me, on my new set of tires in and out in less than an hour. No scratches on aluminum wheels and torqued correctly. Reason I know is I dind't have to phone superman when breaking the front lugnuts loose later on.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I never owned a torque wrench in my mechanic days.

Still down own a torque wrench.

Never lost a tire in 12 years wrenching. Or 38 years on my own cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts