Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

New to the forum here, I just wanted to share my pretty upsetting experience with my 2015 1.4L Cruze...

Bought the car new in 2015 right out of college from a GM dealer. I drive 130miles/day to work and back. Now jumping forward 2 years to the past 2 weeks. I just rolled over 100k miles, within a few hundred miles over my warranty I noticed my trans acting up, not shifting when it should, decrease engine power, etc. Just last week I was headed home and my check engine light came up. Pulled the code and it ended up being a P0299 - Power-train. Took it to the dealer I bought it from over the weekend. Yesterday I received a call from them and they told me the turbo has failed and it needs a complete replacement at $1750... Luckily GM was kind enough to help out in some of the cost but I am still having to cough up $900 for it. I am pretty livid that these things will fail so soon, less than 1000 miles past the warranty (Just my luck). Has this happened to anyone else, could I argue GM for a better settlement?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If they only want $900 from you I'd say that is pretty good, However if you have technical/mechanical knowledge I would do it yourself.
Were you burning Oil or loosing coolant? I find it kind of strange that people are being told the turbo has failed without any major indication that something has failed besides the car not having much power, which can easily be linked to a boost leak. When they said that the turbo has failed, did they go into detail about what exactly on the turbo failed?

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is my personal opinion that an early turbo failure would be a turbo failing around 10K or even 50K. Sounds like your Cruze should have been treated under the "Severe" Maintenece schedule. 50,000 miles/year is not normal and therefore warrants more frequent oil changes and upkeep etc. I'm not saying you caused the problem. I'm saying, I'm impressed the car held up to that type of abuse and you're still on the original turbo. Not all cars are going to make it to 300K, only the cars that were given the royal maintenance treatment and weren't abused make it to see high mileage and most of them required minor/moderate repairs along the way. I totally understand you're frustrated that your car broke, but honestly, the turbo/manifold kit itself is about $600-800 so under $1000 installed is a pretty decent deal. If I were you, I'd pay to repair the car, then promptly sell it and get a diesel. With the amount of mileage you put on, you really should have a diesel.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is that the only thing that has gone wrong in 100k miles? If so you should be happy almost every car will have more issues than that in 100k miles i don't care what make or brand it is. The fact they are helping out with the cost you should be happy. They really don't have to do anything since it is past the warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very tedious with my vehicles, all oil changes are on time with a filter, full synthetic (DEXOS approved). From the sounds of it, looks like I'm lucky to get this far without major issues (Pretty sad engineering for the consumers, perfect engineering for the company). Its very upsetting to me this happened right after the warranty was up, that's what got me. As for signs of coolant or oil loss, I saw no signs of that, this came out of no where. On top of the turbo failure, the dealer is going to fix a leaking rear seal while they are at it. I am very mechanically inclined but decided to let the dealer do it all, I would pay close to $900 for parts and tools, plus I get another 12 month warranty letting the dealer take care of it.

Chevrasaki - Diesel will be my next option, at the time I did not have the money for one, as of now I would be paying someone to buy my car, I owe more than what its worth. Gotta hold onto this thing until the wheels fall off.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I am very tedious with my vehicles, all oil changes are on time with a filter, full synthetic (DEXOS approved). From the sounds of it, looks like I'm lucky to get this far without major issues (Pretty sad engineering for the consumers, perfect engineering for the company). Its very upsetting to me this happened right after the warranty was up, that's what got me. As for signs of coolant or oil loss, I saw no signs of that, this came out of no where. On top of the turbo failure, the dealer is going to fix a leaking rear seal while they are at it. I am very mechanically inclined but decided to let the dealer do it all, I would pay close to $900 for parts and tools, plus I get another 12 month warranty letting the dealer take care of it.

Chevrasaki - Diesel will be my next option, at the time I did not have the money for one, as of now I would be paying someone to buy my car, I owe more than what its worth. Gotta hold onto this thing until the wheels fall off.
Just a slightly different way of looking at your situation. If you had bought a 2016 with same engine, driving and care and turbo went out you wouldn’t get any good will from GM because the drivetrain warranty is now 60k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am with you on this, i have a 2012 I had taken in with 42,XXX miles to the dealer. They told me the turbo needs to be replaced, so they did it under warranty. Fast forward to today. The car has 102,XXX miles. I have been getting the P0299 code. No loss of power, no funny shifting,just a code. I clear it and it stays gone for weeks. Then comes back at random. Still no signs of power loss or any shifting issues.
I drove the car to Colorado from California this past weekend. The CEL comes on on the way back in Grand Junction. I clear it. I drive it home long steep grades etc... The light never came back on. I even drove it to work.
I called GM corporate 2 weeks ago and told them it had been replaced 42,XXX and if it is bad again since the chassis is out of warranty the turbo should not be. They said take it in and pay for the diagnostic. If it is the turbo they will pay for the turbo a pay labor. I told them to pound sand. I will just replace the turbo myself pay the 700.00 for the turbo and save myself 200.00 dollars.
Anyhow, im not even sure this is my problem. Is there anything else that can cause random P0299 code to come up besides bad turbo? I tightened the clamps and still once in two weeks it might come back. Any ideas would help..

2012 LTZ RS 1.4 Stock. I do all of my own service full synthetic oil. every 5000 miles well before the light comes on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
$900 isn't incredibly bad for a turbo.... but I do understand the anger you must feel being 1000 miles over the warranty period. :-/

Sorry dude. Hopefully you can get another 100,000 miles off this one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im hoping so, but i need to figure out if this is the problem before i just throw parts at it. I know low boost is or can be a cracked turbo but it can also be a lot of other things....

900.00 isnt bad but if i can buy it and do it myself and spend 600.00 or 700.00 i would rather do this. It really isnt a bad R&R.....

·
2,170 Posts
I was nervous about my turbo failing before I even bought my Cruze. Turbochargers are incredibly complicated. They tie into literally every single life system of the car. They tie into intake and exhaust flow, coolant, and oil feeds. They have sensors and computers that control wastegate actuators, and there's two rotating pieces of mass with blades in there spinning and literally hundreds of thousands of RPM's constantly. Turbos generate a tremendous amount of heat which then cools down when you're done driving. Hot/cold cycles are harsh on machinery.

On top of that, GM is asking an engine with less displacement (1,364cc) than most Harley Davidsons to move around 3,500+lbs of payload. To put that in perspective, my dad's lawn mower has a 999cc engine. The secret is the turbo. It allows a tiny engine to produce as much power as a normal economy car's engine. The turbo forces a ton of extra air into the cylinders and creates a much more potent explosion. But this extra compression is hard on an engine.

I think about all of this while I am driving and I'm amazed the car even works at all with how many moving parts and components it has. It's my opinion that we take for granted how reliable cars actually are. That being said, if you don't like paying for repairs, a non-turbo car is a better option, but you'll pay for it in other ways. The fuel economy will be lower, the power will be less, and it will have a lower power/weight ratio. Naturally aspirated engines also lose a ton of power at altitude, so owning a turbo vehicle in the mountains makes a lot of sense.

The hardest reality is cars are very expensive to own. They require an initial purchase, fuel, insurance, wear and tear items like oil changes and tires, and repairs. It's usually a good idea to keep an emergency fund when you have a car because they do the darndest things.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
P0299 is an underboost code - the car failed to create the boost the ECM wanted. Some people have had problems with the wastegate pin. However, given the way it's constructed, the only "factory way" to fix that is to replace the turbo.

If you knew for sure that was the problem, BNR has a part that they claim will take care of that, but you have to get their tune. But you can do all that for less than $900 and have a tuned car to boot.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/93-bad-news-racing/212210-bnr-wastegate-actuators.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/113913-wastegate-pivot-pin-wear-clearance.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

New to the forum here, I just wanted to share my pretty upsetting experience with my 2015 1.4L Cruze...

Bought the car new in 2015 right out of college from a GM dealer. I drive 130miles/day to work and back. Now jumping forward 2 years to the past 2 weeks. I just rolled over 100k miles, within a few hundred miles over my warranty I noticed my trans acting up, not shifting when it should, decrease engine power, etc. Just last week I was headed home and my check engine light came up. Pulled the code and it ended up being a P0299 - Power-train. Took it to the dealer I bought it from over the weekend. Yesterday I received a call from them and they told me the turbo has failed and it needs a complete replacement at $1750... Luckily GM was kind enough to help out in some of the cost but I am still having to cough up $900 for it. I am pretty livid that these things will fail so soon, less than 1000 miles past the warranty (Just my luck). Has this happened to anyone else, could I argue GM for a better settlement?
My thoughts are that the oil inlet/outlet tubes are too close to the manifold, and the heat bakes the oil inside the tube, leading to reduced oil flow to the turbocharger. Would be foolish to replace the turbo without replacing the tubes also. From my perspective, this is a design flaw from General Motors. If your turbo goes out in this vehicle, inspect the inlet/outlet tubes. The baked in oil will look like tar, and you will not have enough oil getting to the turbocharger unit. Just my point of view, but cause and effect seem obvious to me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is my personal opinion that an early turbo failure would be a turbo failing around 10K or even 50K. Sounds like your Cruze should have been treated under the "Severe" Maintenece schedule. 50,000 miles/year is not normal and therefore warrants more frequent oil changes and upkeep etc. I'm not saying you caused the problem. I'm saying, I'm impressed the car held up to that type of abuse and you're still on the original turbo. Not all cars are going to make it to 300K, only the cars that were given the royal maintenance treatment and weren't abused make it to see high mileage and most of them required minor/moderate repairs along the way. I totally understand you're frustrated that your car broke, but honestly, the turbo/manifold kit itself is about $600-800 so under $1000 installed is a pretty decent deal. If I were you, I'd pay to repair the car, then promptly sell it and get a diesel. With the amount of mileage you put on, you really should have a diesel.
This is probably the worst advice. If he's driving 130 mile round trip to work it's probably almost all expressway which is the LEAST harsh on a vehicles engine. Engine reaches full operating temperature to burn off any moisture in the crankcase and staying at a more consistent rpm reduces wear. Not only that, it will be seeing less warm up cycles, which is again, less wear. I'm doing 140 miles round trip to work and back for a year and a half now. Do my oil changes regularly at 7k miles with Mobil 1 and ACDelco filter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello everyone!

My thoughts are that the oil inlet/outlet tubes are too close to the manifold, and the heat bakes the oil inside the tube, leading to reduced oil flow to the turbocharger. Would be foolish to replace the turbo without replacing the tubes also. From my perspective, this is a design flaw from General Motors. If your turbo goes out in this vehicle, inspect the inlet/outlet tubes. The baked in oil will look like tar, and you will not have enough oil getting to the turbocharger unit. Just my point of view, but cause and effect seem obvious to me.
Oil tube would get baked. Updated tube to prevent the leak it had common, now has a heat sheathing over it, and reprogram the ecm to run the fans for a several seconds after engine shutdown.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad to see 400k miles on a turbo Cruze considering it's got the same oil change interval I'm using on my 2012 currently. As well as running 87 octane.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

Your pretty lucky yours made it to 100,000 miles... mine just blew at 50,500 miles costing me $0 thanks to my extended warranty..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone!

Same whit happened to me but they quoted me 5 grand before labor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Evanman2010,

How did you get GM to help you cover the cost? My husband is having a similar issue right now with his 2013 Cruze. Did you contact Chevrolet Customer Support?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,609 Posts
Hey Evanman2010,

How did you get GM to help you cover the cost? My husband is having a similar issue right now with his 2013 Cruze. Did you contact Chevrolet Customer Support?
I doubt they would at this point for you. OP's car was two years old at the point of issue.

Reactions: Snipesy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts