Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 2.0 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, and I finally joined. Sadly, I wish for better reasons.

Before last Tuesday (last week), my '15 CTD ran fine. Zero issues. Parked it. Drove my Wrangler the next couple of days, and when I went to start my Cruze, early Friday morning, it wouldn't start. Specifically, it'd spit and sputter for about five seconds, before dying.

Current mileage 76,510, and the extended warranty/service plan ran out at 75k (ouch!). As this is going to have to paid completely out of pocket, I'm trying to pinpoint what the issue might be, as close as possible, before getting it towed to the dealer.

Some things to consider:

• I can hear the pump energize, when I turn the key to on.
  • I disconnected the fuel line and connected a pressure gauge. Am I right that there isn't published data on actual recommended fuel pressure? Gauge pegged (>200psi) when attempted to crank the car, and stayed on 30psi, when I released the key.
  • I also took the gauge off and turned the key to on. The pump IS definitely working, when it energizes/primes, but as the engine can't start, fuel only gushes out, for the moments the pump is energized. (fire extinguisher was at my side, throughout)
  • New fuel filter was replaced, April of last year. Had plenty of life left.
  • No SES light was on, when I parked it. Unfortunately, I don't have a reader to see if a code just happens to be stored in the memory.
Earlier today, I called and got an estimate for replacing the fuel pump ONLY, and it was ~$850 P+L, and I could add another $150 for inevitable filter replacement to go along with that. But, as the pump is definitely working (albeit, possibly not well enough), what would be the next logical choice? Fuel rail or (ugh) injector(s)? Or am I missing something else, entirely?

Rock Auto has best price for AC Delco rail around $275 and $208 for each injector.

I'm competent on my engine top end wrench turning abilities, and I've replaced a fuel rail on gas engines before. I'd imagine a diesel isn't much different? Same for injectors?

(Point being, worst case scenario, dealer costs will likely be >$300/ea for injector + >$400 for rail + $100/hr labor, I'm guessing)

Anyway, any ideas on what may be causing the fuel delivery issues?

Thank you, in advance, for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Since fuel seems to be getting there, how about air and spark? How do the spark plugs look? Coil pack? Battery terminal?

Did something crawl into the air intake and build a nest while it was sitting?

Hopefully it's actually something very simple.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
your egr valve is probably plugged

stuck egr valve will not allow car to start

very common

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Since fuel seems to be getting there, how about air and spark? How do the spark plugs look? Coil pack? Battery terminal?

No spark plugs our coils in a diesel.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 2.0 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your egr valve is probably plugged...

stuck egr valve will not allow car to start...

very common
Oh, let's hope that's the issue! I was gonna say "why not just buy a new one?"... but I just priced one.

I'll try cleaning it, and give up update later today. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,466 Posts
I'm gonna guess EGR stuck open as well - ours is getting a little rough on the idle on a cold start, and taking an occasional extra revolution to "catch" when starting, so I'd bet it's starting to get a touch sticky again.

It's something I consider maintenance at this point, and not all that often or difficult to do. Usually hit the throttle plate at the same time since it's right there.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 2.0 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp, y'all just saved me a few hundred dollars! That's exactly what it was. Car has been idling fine for 20 minutes now. Getting ready to take it down the road. Before and after pics included ("Clean" pics were after going over once. Was gone over a second time.)

Genuine THANKS for steering me in that direction

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
do yourself a favor and clean the throttle body as well, removal and cleaning is described in the links i posted

and set a reminder to redo the egr valve in say 40,000 miles to avoid this happening again

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 2.0 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do yourself a favor and clean the throttle body as well, removal and cleaning is described in the links i posted

and set a reminder to redo the egr valve in say 40,000 miles to avoid this happening again

Will do! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
im waitin for someone to tackle removing the whole intake manifold and cleaning it out, to see what crud is in there
Christ, I have nightmares of what kind of mutant creature is going to come crawling out of that thing...

Reactions: Rivergoer and boraz

·
Registered
4 Posts

There probably won't be any spark plugs on his Diesel

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Christ, I have nightmares of what kind of mutant creature is going to come crawling out of that thing...
Most soot is just mangled chains of carbon. But sometimes interesting things happen. The correct combination can create life....

You joke but it’s a non zero chance. Some people think it’s already happened and we just haven’t looked hard enough.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I mean, technically we're (as in all life on this planet) all carbon-based...it already did happen...a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I mean, technically we're (as in all life on this planet) all carbon-based...it already did happen...a lot.
Yes... But were a specific form. A very ubiquitous form down to even universally accepting which enatiomers are standard.

Ignoring someone snapping their fingers and making it all happen, it all came from one specific point. And there’s lots of theories on what that one point is, some better than others.

Of course I don’t believe in dice rolling. If something happens once it follows it will happen again. The question is what happen to these alternative forms of life? Did they just die out?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Of course I don’t believe in dice rolling. If something happens once it follows it will happen again. The question is what happen to these alternative forms of life? Did they just die out?
The dinosaurs evolved to populate the planet. It appears some sort of cataclysmic event occurred, wiping out most life, and things started all over. In 8 billion years, that cycle can recur several times.

My take is that things like asteroid impacts are largely to blame for most of the kill-offs.

Doug

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The dinosaurs evolved to populate the planet. It appears some sort of cataclysmic event occurred, wiping out most life, and things started all over. In 8 billion years, that cycle can recur several times.

My take is that things like asteroid impacts are largely to blame for most of the kill-offs.

Doug

but they also brought us mushrooms, and their effects on our brains brought us religion

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,059 Posts
im waitin for someone to tackle removing the whole intake manifold and cleaning it out, to see what crud is in there
I've actually got an intake manifold gasket sitting on the shelf in case I ever get around to doing that. Had hoped it would be this summer, but with the backlogged list of repairs needed for getting our old Suburban ready to sell, I think I'm going to run out of good weather and have to wait until spring for the intake removal. I much prefer dealing with intake manifolds on a V8, where it's conveniently right on top, than on the back side placement of a 4 cylinder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts