Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT warranty. I will be getting the car in a few days. The car is used with 21000 km on it ( used to be a daily rental). I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on purchasing the extended warranty? I was told it would be for 6 years or up to 120,00 KM. He said the normal price is $3800 but that because i'm a teacher they offer it for a $1000 off for $2800. I am financing the car so the $2800 will actually end up being quite a bit more. Thoughts? The car has a touch screen and back up camera so i'm not sure if that makes it worth it. I'm on a budget but I do have an emergency account if something were to go wrong with the car. If the warranty is very valuable then I am happy to get it i'm just not sure if its better that I run the risk.

Any information would be very helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would put that $2800 into your emergency acocunt and not into an extended warranty that has a $100 deductible.

Not sure the difference between the US and Canada but when we bought our '15 Cruze new we were offered an extended warranty of 6 years/75k for $1000

·
Registered
46 Posts
FWIW I have never, ever bought an extended warranty and (knock on wood) have never needed it. I would also put the money into a special account. It's like you're paying for a major repair whether you need it or not with an extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
In my opinion that is not needed and is a total waste of money, the 2015 comes with a 100k 5 year power train warranty anyways and is the last model year for that warranty. All you are doing is providing a huge commission for someone. Just my 2 cents. I just bought a 2015 Diesel with 3700 miles, they started to chatter about extended warranty and I just said NO WAY.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Hello,

I just bought a 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT warranty. I will be getting the car in a few days. The car is used with 21000 km on it ( used to be a daily rental). I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on purchasing the extended warranty? I was told it would be for 6 years or up to 120,00 KM. He said the normal price is $3800 but that because i'm a teacher they offer it for a $1000 off for $2800. I am financing the car so the $2800 will actually end up being quite a bit more. Thoughts? The car has a touch screen and back up camera so i'm not sure if that makes it worth it. I'm on a budget but I do have an emergency account if something were to go wrong with the car. If the warranty is very valuable then I am happy to get it i'm just not sure if its better that I run the risk.

Any information would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Unless you are, or have available to you, a capable, trusted, and inexpensive mechanic, I have to go against the others and strongly recommend a extended warranty.
That being said, only a warranty that is underwritten by GM........used to be called the GM protection plan (GMPP) it has a new name.

You have directed your question to a enthusiast forum....a large number of the members have the ability to perform their own repairs and service.......I suspect, by the way you worded the question, you do not fall under this capability.

Yes, the car has a extensive powertrain warranty......however, things like air conditioning, power windows, the radio, the heating system as well as the various computers/ modules and all the other things that make a car more than an engine and transmission can, and do, fail at the most inopportune times.

So, I strongly recommend a extended warranty that, at very least, mirrors the length of time as your auto loan to prevent additional extreme expenses during that time.......Example: A/C compressor failure bumps against the $1000.00 door with parts/labor.

A warranty should be thought of as health insurance for the car......like any insurance, it limits your financial exposure to a unplanned event.

The Cruze is a very good car.....actually, all cars are very good anymore.....but, they are machines, assembled by humans......and, sometimes they break.

Read some of my posts.....you'll figure out I'm a mechanic.......but the repair parts have grown so expensive, even I buy warranties for every one of my cars.

I'm fascinated that folks will put a warranty on a laptop that often is a quarter to a third of the price of the unit, yet a policy for a car, in the five to ten percent of the purchass price range, is considered a poor value.......and a car has a lot more going on than a laptop.

Good luck......do some price shopping....only buy a manufacturer backed plan if you chose that route.

Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to go against getting the extended warranty. You could do the a/c work nearly 3 times to pay for that warranty. It comes with a 100,000 mile warranty anyways so what's the point. Even if you're not a car enthusiast who can fix your own problems it's still a big waste of money. I'm sure the statistics is probably 90 some percent of people never use it. The warranty salesman used the same a/c compressor crap to try and sell it to me. I told him I would replace th a/c compressor for 1/4 the price. I'm wondering if you're a insurance salesman. But if you get a huge piece of mind by getting the warranty then by all means go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts