Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently got a 2015 Chevy Cruze used it had around 91,700KMs on it when I bought it. Im now sitting around 97,000KMs. When I first got the car a 2.5 hour highway trip had me get around 5.5L/100KM. Now that same trip consistently gets 7L+/100KM. I should mention that traffic wait times are all very similar so that shouldn't be playing a 1.5L/100KM difference. When looking at the real time fuel eco meter it bounces between 4-7L @ 40km an hour. However from a deadstop accelerating to 40KM an hour it bounces between 15-36L/100KM. Even when accelerating extremely slowly to try and factor out "flooring it" despite not doing that it still bounces between 15-30L/100KM

Now I tried to find some fixes I read about the spark plug issue and according to my manual my plugs should be replaced now anyway so thats what I recently did. The plugs and gap are all to manual spec. I did not see any fuel eco performance increase. I did check my engine air filter and it is dirty but didn't look horrible to me. So my question there I suppose is how dirty warrants a replacement?

Now as for what gas I am using I am using regular gas and I get it exclusively from Petro-Can as I have the fuel savings card there. As far as I know Petro-Can has no issues with their gas and the gas im putting in is just fine for what the car requires to the best of my knowledge.

Any suggestions or ideas as to how I can go back to getting my normal fuel eco would be greatly appeciated! Also if you would like me to provide any other information please just ask and I will provide it ASAP. I can go convery to MPG upon request.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,949 Posts
Regap your plugs to .028, torqued to 18 ft-lbs, no anti-seize if stock type, ensure the boots have no rips / tears or holes in them.

From
Hesitation...GONE!

UPDATE: For those that don't want to read through the 2348972347892 pages of this thread, we have found that the following plugs seem to work best in the 1.4-Liter engines:
-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

As I mentioned in my original post the spark plugs are not the issue. They are gapped to .028 already and torqued correctly. The boots are also fine.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Could it just be bad driving habits? Like always flooring it at the stoplight. Sometimes when I’m running late or just feel like driving a little heavier on the pedal I’ll see my mileage drop quite a bit on the next fuel up.

also recently I was getting horrible gas mileage, around 200 miles / tank. I replaced both oxygen sensors since b1s1 was bad. Figured it wasn’t a bad idea to just do both and be done.

With both sensor replaced now I’m back to getting 450-500 / tank of gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it just be bad driving habits? Like always flooring it at the stoplight. Sometimes when I’m running late or just feel like driving a little heavier on the pedal I’ll see my mileage drop quite a bit on the next fuel up.

also recently I was getting horrible gas mileage, around 200 miles / tank. I replaced both oxygen sensors since b1s1 was bad. Figured it wasn’t a bad idea to just do both and be done.

With both sensor replaced now I’m back to getting 450-500 / tank of gas.
I did look into if it was my habits so I drove like a grandmother with zero difference. How much do the oxygen sensors cost?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I did look into if it was my habits so I drove like a grandmother with zero difference. How much do the oxygen sensors cost?
I had a few engine codes pertaining to b1s1 and I watched the live data Confirm the faulty sensor.

autozone has Bosch sensors for around $200

or

rockauto has the Acdelco sensors for around $80

I purchases mine from rockauto. I rarely purchase from local stores anymore unless an emergency.

Also keep in mind your sensors may not even be bad. Just because it fixed my poor gas mileage doesn’t mean it’s what is causing your issues.

use a bidirectional scan tool and watch the live data on the oxygen sensors. If you don’t have one oreillys has one that they can lend in the parking lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a few engine codes pertaining to b1s1 and I watched the live data Confirm the faulty sensor.

autozone has Bosch sensors for around $200

or

rockauto has the Acdelco sensors for around $80

I purchases mine from rockauto. I rarely purchase from local stores anymore unless an emergency.

Also keep in mind your sensors may not even be bad. Just because it fixed my poor gas mileage doesn’t mean it’s what is causing your issues.

use a bidirectional scan tool and watch the live data on the oxygen sensors. If you don’t have one oreillys has one that they can lend in the parking lot.
Well I do have a code sensor device and it didn't detect any issues so im going to assume my sensors are ok. Im starting to wonder if its the engine air filter.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Try the filter then. What are they like $20? Can’t go wrong either way with a new filter. Drive it around for a week and reply back with some results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the filter then. What are they like $20? Can’t go wrong either way with a new filter. Drive it around for a week and reply back with some results.
Well filter at Canadian tires are like $40 but still cheap and easy enough to change on my own so ill try that and see if theres any difference.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,949 Posts
Hello,
The plugs and gap are all to manual spec.
Hello,

As I mentioned in my original post the spark plugs are not the issue. They are gapped to .028 already and torqued correctly. The boots are also fine.
This is what I read and .028 is not in the manual as far as I know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

Recently got a 2015 Chevy Cruze used it had around 91,700KMs on it when I bought it. Im now sitting around 97,000KMs. When I first got the car a 2.5 hour highway trip had me get around 5.5L/100KM. Now that same trip consistently gets 7L+/100KM. I should mention that traffic wait times are all very similar so that shouldn't be playing a 1.5L/100KM difference. When looking at the real time fuel eco meter it bounces between 4-7L @ 40km an hour. However from a deadstop accelerating to 40KM an hour it bounces between 15-36L/100KM. Even when accelerating extremely slowly to try and factor out "flooring it" despite not doing that it still bounces between 15-30L/100KM

Now I tried to find some fixes I read about the spark plug issue and according to my manual my plugs should be replaced now anyway so thats what I recently did. The plugs and gap are all to manual spec. I did not see any fuel eco performance increase. I did check my engine air filter and it is dirty but didn't look horrible to me. So my question there I suppose is how dirty warrants a replacement?

Now as for what gas I am using I am using regular gas and I get it exclusively from Petro-Can as I have the fuel savings card there. As far as I know Petro-Can has no issues with their gas and the gas im putting in is just fine for what the car requires to the best of my knowledge.

Any suggestions or ideas as to how I can go back to getting my normal fuel eco would be greatly appeciated! Also if you would like me to provide any other information please just ask and I will provide it ASAP. I can go convery to MPG upon request.
What's wrong with 7 l/100 km? That's about 33 mpg. 5.5 l/100 km is 43 mpg. I think that was a flawed reading. And don't expect the "instantaneous" value shown on the display to be meaningful; it varies with speed, throttle position, incline/decline of the road, etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If the air filter is really bad it may also require cleaning the mass airflow sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts