Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the forms. Mechanic for my wife's 2015 Chevy Cruze LT AT on the East Coast. Going to probably be tackling an engine swap in the future that I'll likely be exploring the forums for. Feel free to reply with links to any relevant links. I'm already checking out the DIY Tutorial Section. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,230 Posts
Hello! I'm new to the forms. Mechanic for my wife's 2015 Chevy Cruze LT AT on the East Coast. Going to probably be tackling an engine swap in the future that I'll likely be exploring the forums for. Feel free to reply with links to any relevant links. I'm already checking out the DIY Tutorial Section. Thanks!
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Use the search bar, there are at least three threads on actual engine swaps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't find that one yet. Looking up "engine swap" has something like 420 records so it's taking a bit to comb through them all. I found the one for 2012 -> 2014 MT but that's a pretty high level but still useful. Fortunately I have the time to dig through the posts. I have a line on a used engine with 43k miles($800) on it does anyone have any recommendations as to what things to look for when buying a used engine?
EDIT:
Here is one, but a bit different:
Thanks for the link!

·
Super Moderator
7,230 Posts
If I remember correctly, try to stick with 2014-2015 engines. Bring a endoscope with you and look at the pistons for any evidence of wetness and/or no carbon - indicates an internal coolant leak; cracking, holes or metal pieces - indicates piston failure; look at the condition of the oil and coolant if possible, turn it over to see if it is seized, look at the plug conditions - melted, excessive wear, fouled etc. Look for the orange nipple ( 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues ) - dosen't make the engine bad if it's gone, but can be used to negotiate a better price as you will need a new manifold or better yet the fix kit, a new valve cover and possibly the crank seal.

That's off the top of my head - others hopefully will add to the mix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly, try to stick with 2014-2015 engines. Bring a endoscope with you and look at the pistons for any evidence of wetness and/or no carbon - indicates an internal coolant leak; cracking, holes or metal pieces - indicates piston failure; look at the condition of the oil and coolant if possible, turn it over to see if it is seized, look at the plug conditions - melted, excessive wear, fouled etc. Look for the orange nipple - dosen't make the engine bad if it's gone, but can be used to negotiate a better price as you will need a new manifold or better yet the fix kit, a new valve cover and possibly the crank seal.

That's off the top of my head - others hopefully will add to the mix.
Whew that's a lot of stuff. Looks like I'm going to have to do some googling.

Thanks for the other link. That was the other one I found. I didn't find the 3rd one you mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
7,230 Posts
Whew that's a lot of stuff. Looks like I'm going to have to do some googling.
Not as much as it seems. Some are more likely than others. I added a link above for a cheap endoscope as well. Many of the issues are talked about on the forum along with many possible fixes. Most aside from replacing pistons are fairly easy and inexpensive, well worth doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts