Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to make a long story short.. the top left valve cover bolt hole somehow stripped out. I started to see it seep a little bit from the top of the bolt, (not from the valve cover gasket). It was loose and it will not tighten up. When I popped the bolt and shank out I can see some of the threads are pulled out. I currently have the right helicoil kit at my house. In theory could I drill and put the thread insert in without removing the valve cover? I can fit the tap, insert tool, and drill bit in there just fine. I figured if I put a bunch of grease or antiseize on the drill bit it will help hold the shavings to it if I drill in small increments and wipe it off. I'm very strapped for cash so I can't afford the new parts it would require to remove the cover..

· The Nuclear Option
5,780 Posts
I would highly recommend removing the valve cover and performing the repair correctly. You can buy a new valve cover gasket and some ultra black for ~$20. If you don't have that, I've found that selling items with 24 hour auctions on eBay or donating plasma are very effective ways of quickly earning money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts