Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife just bought a used 2015 Cruze LT. When she brought it home I was surprised when she said it didn't have a backup camera as I figured it would being a newer car with a big touch screen. Well her plate came in and when I was putting it on, low and behold there is a backup camera back there...It just doesn't work for some reason. I've read where people have issues with a black screen but I don't even get that. The screen stays on whatever screen it was on before shifting to reverse, no beeps, no warnings, nothing. I don't know much about these cars but they wouldn't have the camera back there if it wasn't part of her package would they? Any help here?

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Not every CRUZE has a Camera. My 2014 doesn't beep or warn, has a Camera. My Doctor just picked up a 2015 Malibu LTZ. No Camera but cool interior lighting. Your new CRUZE might have certain parts for a Camera without the optional available electronics. Same with the sensors, probably in my LT but not wired for my model. Seems that safety comes at a cost $$

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that just seems stupid. Install the camera but keep it disabled by software or a certain wiring harness unless you pay the extra $$$.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Well that just seems stupid. Install the camera but keep it disabled by software or a certain wiring harness unless you pay the extra $$$.
It's easier during production. The wiring and proper electronics are what you pay for, what you believe is a camera might just be the outer lens with no 'guts' inside it?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Not all Cruzes come with a backup camera, but I'm not aware of a "dummy" housing.

Pop open the glove compartment. Inside the door, you'll see a list of RPO codes. Check for the code UVC. If it has it, it should have a backup camera. If the car has less than 36,000 miles, it's still covered by the bumper to bumper warranty - take it to a dealer.

If I had to guess, the display may not switch if the radio doesn't see a video signal - so if the camera fails or becomes unplugged for any reason, it won't switch to a blank screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts