Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2015 Cruze LT - Very low power, no smoke, no CEL, loud ticking from purge valve

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  RoninDusette 
#1 ·
I put on an intake the other day. I was very careful not to bend/break anything. It was a cheap one. I did everything right. No power at all and no check engine light.

I decided to look into it today and upon driving around, I could hear a loud hiss like it was leaking under boost, I could feel it retarding timing and just not having any power. Again, no check engine light, traction control light, stability control light, nothing. Just no power. Then I could hear a loud repetitive ticking sound. I noticed it wasn't rising/falling in speed with the engine, so I figured EGR or something like that. Sure as shi*, I get under the hood and the purge valve is going crazy and I can hear a definitive hiss.

So, I checked everything I could think of. PCV was first. I did all of the testing and inspection I could find on here (I can see the little nip in the hole on the IM, checked the diaphragm, etc). I checked cabling (ticking goes away upon unplugging the purge valve connector). MAF was handled VERY nicely, not dropped, and is in perfect condition (at least it looks as such). I reverted the intake system back to 100% stock, plugged the battery back in, same issue. No CEL, still no power, hissing and ticking like a mofo, and leaking a f*** ton of pressurized air into the engine compartment. I just cannot figure out where.

I reset it (the ECM) a few times, thinking that the computer was just being dumb, but yeah. Nothing. I also have a tiny bit of oil in the intake side of the turbo, but nothing that I haven't seen from other cars with a purge line going to that side (and from searching, it seems common to have a little bit.).

So, I got an ELM bluetooth adapter and hooked it up to Torque Pro, reset the ecu again, drove it, and scanned for codes, and of course, it through an error for the purge valve (which is clearly not functioning correctly).

So, my questions are, besides the PCV:

Where else are common air leak points?
I mostly hear the hissing coming from the back of the engine, but I am hard of hearing. Could the purge valve be causing all of this?
Does anyone have a detailed diagram or writeup regarding the vacuum system? I don't have a shop manual.
What could cause the purge valve to do the ticking if it's not the valve itself? I don't have rough idle issues (it does surge a LITTLE after it's warmed up, but is also super slugging off the line and again, gets like, no power, even though I can clearly hear the turbo compressing and subsequently leaking air out of somewhere.

I tried to do as much research as I could, and I frikkin hate dealerships. Any advice would be great. Not smoking, no other check engine lights, hissing and ticking. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
So yeah. I fixed it. Luckily one of my buddies brought a boost leak kit over and we found that both pipes to the intercooler had almost blown off. I just replaced them as they looked a bit haggard. The purge valve just happened to be coincidental and loud, but I ordered a new one which will be here today.

After I reset the ECM and all of that, the car runs fine. Pretty happy now. :) Now to debadge the boot. I will likely post pics too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.