Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been looking at purchasing two HID conversion kits for my 2015 Cruze LTZ; one for my low/high beams and another for the fog lamps. While I already know fitting an HID bulb into a reflector housing is not the wisest idea, I plan to proceed anyways. So please, those who disagree save your keystrokes. I have a friend from school who designs headlight assembles for a living and in August he is assisting me with a full retrofit, so this is to be temporary.

Regardless the same question remains. As my car does not use the headlight bulb for a DRL will I need the added relay necessary for the older models? Also, do our cars require a CANBUS system or can I get away with a traditional system?

Thank you in advance for any input on the topic.. Also, just for giggles I'll post photos of his work. He may be willing to build setups for others.

If you can't tell, he works for Neon LED Lights | LED Accent Lights | LED Lights For Cars | Xkglow

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
While I already know fitting an HID bulb into a reflector housing is not the wisest idea, I plan to proceed anyways. So please, those who disagree save your keystrokes.
Thankfully, you're far enough away I won't have to worry meeting you on a dark road.

As my car does not use the headlight bulb for a DRL will I need the added relay necessary for the older models?
You won't need the filtering required to deal with the DRL, but I'd imagine because of the current draw you'd still need the relay. Keep in mind that the low beams are driven directly off the BCM. An overload or inductive kickback from the HIDs could lead to an expensive repair bill. A relay would be cheap insurance.

The high beams are driven by a relay, so no issue there (unless you're exceeding the current rating of the relay).

I don't recall anyone reporting a CEL for adding the relay, but there might be some codes the dealer will find if they scan your car. So if you really want to be sure, treat it like a CANBUS.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts