Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Diesel Cruze Second to third gear shift is mucked up, anyone else?

Try accelerating slowly, very slowly. for me its the 2nd to 3rd gear shift, it double shifts every time if I have a light throttle.
I can reproduce it every single 2nd to 3rd gear shift. Feels like a shift pattern problem on my car.
Brought it in 4 times and GM dealer came back as this is normal, I'm like wth are you serious.
Service manager says no one can reproduce it even though I can 100% of the time.
I have a 2015.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Take it in and tell them to have a tech ride with you. They will always give the "cannot reproduce" excuse if it's something they don't want to deal with. Have them ride with you, make the car do it, and have them give you a very clear answer whether they felt it or not.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The automatic transmission in the gas trims does this as well. The first shift is to third, where it then engages the torque lock to improve fuel economy. Watch your tach closely and I suspect you'll notice a 100 to 200 RPM drop on the second shift.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That IS normal. It's torque converter lockup.
It only does it from second to third no where else.
It shifts normally every other gear only second to third does this, it will never shift below 2000 rpm from second to third it shifts well below 2000 every other gear.
It does not do it from first to second either only from second to third.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
It only does it from second to third no where else.
It shifts normally every other gear only second to third does this, it will never shift below 2000 rpm from second to third it shifts well below 2000 every other gear.
Yep. Normal. 1st and 2nd do not lock up. 3rd engages with the torque converter slipping, then locks up. Other gears engage and lock-up the torque converter instantly.

On 4-speed automatics, you usually did not see torque converter lockup behavior until your 3rd/4th gears because the ratios were so wide, but they do it much earlier now for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yep. Normal. 1st and 2nd do not lock up. 3rd engages with the torque converter slipping, then locks up. Other gears engage and lock-up the torque converter instantly.
Why is it designed to shift below 2000 rpms except second to third?
I can get every gear to shift at almost exactly same rpm but second to third never under 2000.

The other thing I have to give alot of throttle to make it shift like there is a dead spot in the throttle programming.

·
17,488 Posts
Large ratio jump would be my guess (see table below). You can try it in manual mode and see if it says "shift denied".

It starts out using the torque converter like a slipping clutch to keep the engine in the powerband, then locks up to the true gear ratio once it's at a speed it can do so without bogging.

Gear ratios are listed below. Even on my manual 1.4, the 2->3 shift is an annoyingly wide ratio change that will leave me bogging in 3rd if I don't rev out 2nd enough.

Transmissions

Type:M32
6-speed manual
M32
6-speed manual
M32
6-speed manual
Hydra-Matic 6T40
6-speed automatic
Aisin AF40 6-speed automatic
Application:1.8L1.4L turbo - Eco1.4L turbo1.8L / 1.4L turbo2.0L turbo-diesel
Gear ratios: :)1):
First:3.824.274.274.584.15
Second:2.162.162.532.962.37
Third:1.471.301.471.911.56
Fourth1.070.961.071.441.16
Fifth:0.870.740.871.000.86
Sixth:0.740.610.740.740.69
Reverse:3.543.823.822.943.39
Final drive ratio:3.943.833.833.533.20

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I test drove a 2014 CTD and I didnt notice this behavior, was there a Software update only applicable to the 2015 CTD Transmission?

·
17,488 Posts
I test drove a 2014 CTD and did notice it - very quickly. Shrug. It's not an uncommon practice across any manufacturer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Now I see what you are talking about. I also believe you are feeling the torque converter lockup. On my car it will go from 1st to 2nd, and if I'm not giving it a ton of throttle, will lock the tc before shifting to third gear (which almost sounds like it is shifting to 3rd, but it's not) then it will shift to 3rd. This is normal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just drove a used 14 and got first gear to shift before 2000 but second would not, shift feel was softer but had three times the mileage.
Side note the idle was so loud it was uncomfortable.
So ya ok its irritating to be honest.

Thanks for the reply s.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
2015 Diesel Cruze Second to third gear shift is mucked up, anyone else?

Try accelerating slowly, very slowly. for me its the 2nd to 3rd gear shift, it double shifts every time if I have a light throttle.
I can reproduce it every single 2nd to 3rd gear shift. Feels like a shift pattern problem on my car.
Brought it in 4 times and GM dealer came back as this is normal, I'm like wth are you serious.
Service manager says no one can reproduce it even though I can 100% of the time.
I have a 2015.
I suppose mine does this sometimes under light throttle. It feels like a jerking motion, for lack of a better term. I just attributed it to transmission characteristics.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ive stopped worrying about the trans in my diesel. She is just a weird character, really cannot compare it to older 4 speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I have one of the last 15 CTD produced, has 15k miles on it and the transmission is a bit different than other autos I have had I just don't pay that much attention to it, I am very happy with the performance of the car and the transmission. My only concern and all is the short regens, I am at 10 grams in 25 miles, I think that is insane. I am getting 225 to 250 miles with in town driving. Better on the highway, it seemed to get much worse with Summer Diesel fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I know how to avoid that awquard stage. when you feel second give it a little more gas then usual. this will keep the rpms a little higher and will be in 3rd locked when it does shift..

as others have said this is normal. or shift in manual mode and hold till 3k rpm and you will see it doesent do it.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I'm noticing this, too, on my new-to-me 2014 diesel, and it really seems to be by design.
What I'm learning (and liking) is that a light foot will get you out of the the first two gears in a hurry, then you can put your foot down and it will make long, hard pulls in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. That's where the magic happens.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I have a diesel with the 6T45 transmission and it is smooth almost all of the time and any roughness felt can be blamed on turbo lag in the lower speeds. The only surprise was being unable to select 6th, even manually, below 80kph and even at 80 it won't change up. Having said that at 80 in 5th it is doing 1,500rpm.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a diesel with the 6T45 transmission and it is smooth almost all of the time and any roughness felt can be blamed on turbo lag in the lower speeds. The only surprise was being unable to select 6th, even manually, below 80kph and even at 80 it won't change up. Having said that at 80 in 5th it is doing 1,500rpm.
The af40-6 allows you to bump up to 6th at 71kph

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.