Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plasti Dipped and removed lettering on my 2015 Cruze. Included a how to and pics.

This weekend, I went against my own intuition and took a spray can to my 2 week old Chevy. I wanted to turn the gold on the emblems black as well as remove the "Cruze"and "LT" lettering. I think it turned out great!

2015-03-22 15.13.36.jpg 2015-03-22 15.14.42.jpg

First, I first took off the lettering and here's how:
  • First, I simply warmed up the letters with a hair-dryer.
  • Once they become warmer, you will be able to wiggle them with your hand.
  • At this point, you can remove them one of two ways...
    • Twist the letter with your hand. They will eventually detach from the body of the car
    • If you cannot grip the letters well or prefer a different method, you can grab a hold of a piece of floss or fishing wire and slide it behind the letters when the glue is warm. They will pop off the same.
  • At this point, you will be left with the glue where the letters previously were. Peel off as much glue as you can with your hand. This makes the next step much easier. You may find that continuing to apply heat will help greatly.
  • To get the remaining glue off, I used Goof Off which is safe on painted surfaces. I just put some on an old t-shirt and lightly rubbed the remaining gunk until it was gone.
  • After the glue is off, you may see a shadow where the glue was, that is okay. Keep rubbing a bit.
  • Lastly, a coat of wax will polish and protect the paint. All in all it took me about 15-20 minutes.
Then I went to plasti dip my emblems. Be sure to practice before spraying your car.

First step is to tape off your car. Leave a big square around the emblem to make peeling easier. Add towels around the tape to prevent over spray. It WILL over spray. I even had a few specs on my C pillars.

2015-03-21 16.05.42.jpg

For 2015, Chevy moved the bowtie up in to the upper grill. This made it a big harder to tape so you can see that the tape got much closer to the center of the emblem. I tried to leave as much space as I could though.

2015-03-21 17.41.33.jpg

Once you have taped and covered the car, You will begin spraying. At this point, it is very important to move your hand swiftly and cover the entire square you have taped off. Even go over. I found the key was adding many thin coats. I tried to put thicker coats on the front but it ran and gunked up. It also did not keep the original texture of the emblem. Overall, I put on 7-9 coats front and back but they were very thin coats. I also only waited about 5-8 minutes between coats because after I sprayed, I put a fan on it to speed up the process.

2015-03-21 16.34.33.jpg

One tip for dipping is to try and spray from different angles. One coat may cover from a downward angle. One may be from an upper angel. This will help the dip stay connected. I noticed there was a gap between the dip on the chrome emblem border and the trunk lid. This would have made it harder to peel off together. Changing angles helped with this process.

Once I put all of my coats on, I let this round dry for about 20-30 minutes. That made it easier to peel off together.

When it came to peeling, I started by lifting the tape and that will get you an edge on your dip. I thought it may help to run over the border with an exacto-knife. DO NOT DO THIS. Plasti dip will lift on its own.

Once you have peeled, you may see over spray. Don't worry, it will come off. I was able to get everything by just rubbing it with a cloth. If you have trouble, you can use goof off or a similar product. I'll try to report back on the longevity of the dip. That has been one of my biggest worries. I may also be dipping more in the future so I'll be sure to throw up those pics!

Thanks for reading!

2015-03-22 15.14.37.jpg 2015-03-22 15.14.55.jpg

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Hey can I have yer cruze and LT Letters ? .. I collect em from all of you's guys that take em off .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks great!!

I used black outdoor vinyl and an exacto knife to black out my bowties! Took 10 min to do both front and back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was a little hesitant on the new 2015's front side but this white and black bow tie looks too ******* sweet
Thanks man! I wish I would have been able to get an RS which look even cooler but they didn't have any on the lot and it was one of those things where this just worked out great. They also stopped using the turn signals as parking lights in 2015. Now it is just the LED lights and the one orange marker ahead of the front wheels when the parking or night lights are on. Looks pretty sick when you remote start at night and you're walking up to the car. Nice and clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the positive responses! It's always fun to tinker around in the garage. Now that I'm feeling a bit more confident with dip, I may keep going with some small trim pieces. Another thing I did was replace the reversing lights and lights above the license plate with bright LEDs. The lights above the plates shine clean white light down the back of the car which really makes the white look nice at night. I got a set for $6 off amazon. Great upgrade for not much money. I'll have to take a pic this weekend and upload it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unfortunately I've really only had experience using plasti-dip on custom computer rigs/motherboards. It seems like you really can do no harm to your car's paint and can just peel it off. Is this correct? Also, and more specifically, when you began to peel the back "square" of paint off, what did you use to keep the emblem's plati-dip from peeling? What did you use to take the fine-line of paint off the silver/chrome portion of the emblem, but not the yellow? Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Plasti-Dip is great for this kind of thing! I saved all my old bed sheets from college and use them to keep the overspray at bay. Works great.

Nice job on your dippin'! :) These cars look so much better with black bowties

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our cars look like twins haha. But instead I used the carbon fiber wrap. Taking the badges off the cruze was very easy. I did the same thing to my Nissan Rogue and it was way easier to get the left over adhesive off. I guess domestics use that cheap **** lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I've really only had experience using plasti-dip on custom computer rigs/motherboards. It seems like you really can do no harm to your car's paint and can just peel it off. Is this correct? Also, and more specifically, when you began to peel the back "square" of paint off, what did you use to keep the emblem's plati-dip from peeling? What did you use to take the fine-line of paint off the silver/chrome portion of the emblem, but not the yellow? Thanks!
Yeah it's pretty easy on the paint it seems. You are actually better off the more you spray on it too. This makes it easier to peel off because dip sticks to itself. Surprisingly, I didn't use anything to help the tip stay on the yellow part and come off the chrome.

When you start to peel off the dip, it usually sticks to the tape if you let it dry enough. This is a good starting point. Once enough dip is coming up to grab only the dip, you can just pull at if from different directions which will make it separate from edges on your body. (I'm not sure of the best way to word that but the dip will like to separate from itself when it gets to a crease.) When I got to the chrome bit, i was able to pull it so that the dip continued to come off. I also made sure that when I was spraying the emblem, the dip was connected from the trunk lid to the chrome emblem. If it is not connected, you will see a small gap. To help with this, spray the emblem from many different angles. Dip Your Car has some great tutorials. I tried to put the dip on the front emblem in too thick of coats and was able to easily pull it all off to redo it, but you can also work the dip so that the crease in the emblem will separate it for you when you pull it off.

Sorry, that wasn't the best explanation but it's kind of hard to put in words rather than showing it. I had no prior experience but found dipyourcar.com to be a great resource. I'm a little nervous to do bigger portions of my car because it becomes easier to streak but I'll probably do some bumper bits soon and test that first.

Good luck dipping!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts