Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016.5 hasn't had the piston issue yes, but there are several people have had the issue. Any updates to stop this issue? Post below if you had this issue and the year and mileage at replacement. Thanks!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
So in your first three posts you have asked if anyone has had problems with their new Cruzes. You must have spent too much time in loaners from your VW dealerships.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wondering if GM has a fix that is all. We here people having the issue and getting there vehicle fixed, but no real reason why it happening.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Just wondering if GM has a fix that is all. We here people having the issue and getting there vehicle fixed, but no real reason why it happening.
This sounds like an early run manufacturing issue. Later engines haven't been having this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats interesting because we do have people on here with 2016.5 with no issues and have close to 40000 miles. I am at 14000 and my car runs great. Just had the O2 replaced for the P015B code that seems to be popping up. Was the O2 sensor and this code causing this issue of running lean and burning up pistons?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
This sounds like an early run manufacturing issue. Later engines haven't been having this issue.
17's have had it happen too. Not sure whether there's any correlation between Mexico/US assy for the 17 model year.

Thats interesting because we do have people on here with 2016.5 with no issues and have close to 40000 miles. I am at 14000 and my car runs great. Just had the O2 replaced for the P015B code that seems to be popping up. Was the O2 sensor and this code causing this issue of running lean and burning up pistons?
GM's TSB for piston replacement specifically calls out looking for leaks or conditions that may cause it to run lean. I haven't yet had an O2 sensor issue on my 16.5, but I could see that as doing it.

I think they'll release an ECU reflash in the near future given the rate some cars have been continually taking out O2 sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a copy of the TSB? Also how many miles do you have on your 2016.5? Mine runs great, it has had a little rough idle a few times but nothing big.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Cruze with 8k miles—check engine light came on along with “service stabilitack message”. I was just told yesterday they have to replace the pistons. I’m not happy about this....

·
Registered
9 Posts
2016.5 sedan (ohio) with 24K cyl #2 misfire - getting new engine - gave me a loaner
hope it is better than the first - no other issues on this babied car
no real signs other than gas mileage getting worse it seemed - then P0302 and rough running

·
Registered
69 Posts
We had a 17 Cruze towed into the shop Thursday with damaged pistons. Teardown and repair will happen this coming week.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts