·
Super Moderator
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is for the bodymen out there...

What is the likely hood that a body shop will follow this procedure? I unfortunately got hit at a stop sign a few weeks go, and am awaiting my car back with a new quarter panel, bumper, and wheel (She admitted fault, bless her). I took it to my dealer and they sent it to the body shop they use; the dealer is not actually doing any body work.

My insurance wanted to use reconditioned parts for these, they got them from the junkyard and it is not color matched, so they will be repainted as well. In this case since the parts are not OEM, is the repair procedure still to cut any replace, rather than just remove and replace the old quarter panel? Should I ask if they are taking the steps mentioned in your post? I am a bit worried about the structural integrity following the hit.. is this method of cutting and replacing a more structurally sound method of repair? So far no one has said if my car has structural damage.

Thanks
IMG_20190830_160800.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the shop they use is reputable, you should have no worries. Most reputable shops give some type of warranty on the work. As far as used parts, usually that is not an issue and saves money to boot. Occasionally there are no more new parts depending on the item and age of the vehicle.

To remove a quarter panel on a Cruze is a cut and weld job as they are not bolt on or plastic. If underlying structure is removed due to damage or ease of installation, it will be replaced.

For your peace of mind, if it is not too late, you can ask the body shop for in progress photos so that you can see what they are doing before the paint or filler goes on. Once it is finished, ask the dealer to put it up on the lift so you can inspect the workmanship. If at that point you see something out of the ordinary, say so before accepting it back, but more than likely it will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts