Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't noticed any talk about real world numbers for fuel economy on this new drivetrain. Seems like it should do a lot better than the previous generation. My previous 2012 LTRS did a best of 45 mpg on the highway for me and a best tank of 1009 kms on 54 litres of fuel.

I have a 2016.5 premier. It has 150 miles on it and am wondering what i can expect. Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the Generation 2 has a smaller gas tank, so even with better MPG its range will not be as good as your old car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
3500 mi on mine. ~30 MPG average with what I'd say is a 80% city driving/short trip bias. My MPG on trips hasn't been that amazing...35 or so highway, but I either drive fast or I'm stuck in traffic, and haven't had a chance to do any super long road trips away from I-95. I used to see ~40 in my 2012 1LT manual, so hoping that improves after winter is over and the car is broken in. The wide tires and heavy wheels definitely make a difference vs my old car.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The wide tires and heavy wheels definitely make a difference vs my old car.
A friend picked up 2mpg taking off his heavy LTZ cruze wheels in favor of 1LT wheels. The coasting difference on my 2015 sonic LTZ 17in wheels vs my cruze 1LT 16in wheels is major. I would say hills I gained 8-10MPH down in the cruze I only gain 2-3mph on the sonics larger tires. Much more controlled feel but definitely is hurting my MPG.

I may end up buying a set of 16in aluminum wheels for the sonic, I see GM sells them for $125 MSRP as an official accessory, will be nice to have back some sidewall rubber for all the potholes around here.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. This time around i did not get the heavy RS package wheels and will likely put my tires up to 40 psi cold. They are at 35 psi now. Mine definitely needs to break in before i see good fuel economy. The manual says 500 miles is the break in period where you are not to drive one consistent speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the 2016 premier with RS package. I had a 2011 LTZ, mileage is better but not by much so far i'm averaging about 34 mpg mixed city, rural road. On the highway it gets about 36 or so. It seems if you get much over 65 the mileage drops. Its gets its best mileage around 60-65 mpg. I have about 7500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 premier with a RS package with 2238 miles and it only gets about 35 highway and 26 in town. I hope it is going to get much better. I only had it on the road once. My old car was a 2013 LS Cruze and it was getting 21 in town and 34 on the highway.

·
16,983 Posts
I have a 2016 premier with a RS package with 2238 miles and it only gets about 35 highway and 26 in town. I hope it is going to get much better. I only had it on the road once. My old car was a 2013 LS Cruze and it was getting 21 in town and 34 on the highway.
Oh good, it's not just me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a 2016 premier and i had 40 mpg on the trip meter the first tank but im averaging 35 right now with 900 miles. we had a cold snap so that might have brought it down a bit cause i tend to baby my car and let it warm up some

·
Registered
17 Posts
so weather got a bit nice here and took the car out on a longer trip . it was 55 degrees and i was on the hyw doing 70 mph for 120 miles and looked at my readout and it said 44.6 mpg so this is the best i have gotten so far. i am very happy with it and i know the digital read out may not be a direct reflection of true mpg. i filled up and it was close to 40 mpg. this is with regular 87 octane. would i get better if i burned 92 octane? thank you

·
16,983 Posts
I seem to get slightly better mpg on 89 and 93 seems to make no difference. These DI engines don't really seem to need high octane at stock power levels - at least when it's not summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm only getting about 25 mpg average. But even doing the math when filling up is telling me I'm only getting around 23. I'm currently at 1600 mi on the hatch RS. Seems a bit sad going from the mileage I had with my 14 manual 1.8.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I'm only getting about 25 mpg average. But even doing the math when filling up is telling me I'm only getting around 23. I'm currently at 1600 mi on the hatch RS. Seems a bit sad going from the mileage I had with my 14 manual 1.8.
Auto or manual?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have averaged about 25mpg on a Cruze Premier with Auto. Not good. Last 500km was roughly 20mpg. Dealer has contacted GM, will see the outcome.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts