Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Spied, Closely Resembles 2014 Malibu

We have seen several different sets of pre-production photos of the next-generation Chevrolet Cruze, but these latest shots from Indian Autos Blog reveal the most production-ready 2016 Cruze yet. Previous photos showed the second-generation compact sedan with a conventional Chevrolet two-tier grille, but now it appears to be sporting a grille closer in design to that of the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu.

The Malibu similarities continue past the front end. The rear haunches are more defined than the current Cruze’s, the taillights appear to have two-separate sections and it has adopted a third, trunk-mounted brake light.

The launch of the second Cruze was originally scheduled for 2014, but has since been postponed until the second half of 2015. We’re sure the looks are still subject to change, but it seems the new Cruze is starting to look more like a downsized Malibu every time we see it.

Sources:
GM Authority & IndianAuto Blogs

·
Registered
246 Posts
Projector headlights, daytime led lights, and C7ish tail lights. And the interior pictures look great as well.

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh say it ain't so! The more they try to make a mini malibu, the more it looks like a dart.
Yeah, and the Dodge Dart has been a MAJOR FAIL in the marketplace.

Gosh, if I wanted a blooming Malibu then I'd buy a Malibu. If the powers that be at GM ruin our beloved Cruze, then I'll reluctantly move on to another marque more deserving of my time, money and attention.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I have found it a good policy not to guess what a disguised car will look like until it is revealed. You can always buy something else or keep your old car.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This article just out this morning says GM will be revealing the new Cruze this year. It also gives some insight into potential new engines with likely a new 1.4L turbo or 1.5L turbo.

The new 1.4L turbo produces 140 hp but a much beefier 173 lb. ft of torque, and one of the engines (it doesn't say which one, but I'm assuming it will be a 1.5L turbo) has numbers as high as 165 hp and 184 lb. ft. of torque. If they roll out that bad boy with a good manual tranny, I think they're going to loose a few diesel buyers to gas motors.

That said, I'm glad I got my 2014 and didn't wait for the next gen. I'm not fond of the styling as it looks so far.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Hopefully it will have the 1.6T engine with start/stop technology.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
This article just out this morning says GM will be revealing the new Cruze this year. It also gives some insight into potential new engines with likely a new 1.4L turbo or 1.5L turbo.

The new 1.4L turbo produces 140 hp but a much beefier 173 lb. ft of torque, and one of the engines (it doesn't say which one, but I'm assuming it will be a 1.5L turbo) has numbers as high as 165 hp and 184 lb. ft. of torque. If they roll out that bad boy with a good manual tranny, I think they're going to loose a few diesel buyers to gas motors.

That said, I'm glad I got my 2014 and didn't wait for the next gen. I'm not fond of the styling as it looks so far.
My diesel has 161hp and 266ft/lbs of torque, I won't be getting a petrol engine any time soon.

Reactions: PanJet

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,359 Posts
Hopefully it will have the 1.6T engine with start/stop technology.
Ford is phasing out their new-ish 1.6 in favor of a 1.5 turbo (for the global market - engines under 1.5L offer tax breaks in the Chinese market).

With the power numbers posted above (165/184), I guarantee that's not Opel's 1.6T.

Still, the power bump will bring much-needed power to the Cruze. I'm thinking the Eco model will maintain the 1.4 (a la Corolla Eco, 140 HP and more torque)...while other models will get the 1.5.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
This article just out this morning says GM will be revealing the new Cruze this year.
Thanks for posting this I had not seen info on the new 4 cylinders. Article mentions this new engine family made their debut in the opel adam with a 3cylinder but does not give any details of that engine.

Yesterday I was actually reading about it, its a 1.0T 3 cylinder with 113hp/122lb-ft of torque. Was thinking it would make a good engine for the Chevy spark to compete with the fiesta 1.0 ecoboost which gets 45mpg, might do better MPG wise considering this new GM engine is less powerful.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My diesel has 161hp and 266ft/lbs of torque, I won't be getting a petrol engine any time soon.
Very true, and neither will I. My diesel (U.S.) has a little less power than yours at 151 hp and 264 lb/ft of torque before overboost.

However, if the new gasoline Cruze can crank out ~20% more hp and ~25% more torque than the current 1.4L turbo, and if you can put it to the ground with a manual transmission (not available on the diesel in the U.S.) and keep the mileage at least comparable to the existing gas Cruze, there will likely be a few people looking for more power who may have looked at the diesel, but will take a better gas motor instead.

·
Registered
747 Posts
How's this for being closem 2014 Cruze, 2014 Malibu?

View attachment 66434

Well I guess the colors are different.
Funny, I had the same thought.

Honestly, we'll know more when the camo comes off, but I feel like the new Cruze has a Malibu back but a hybrid Malibu/Impala front.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
As much as I like the current cruze looks, I'm more about the way the car drives. Power, MPG, handling, ride/comfort, & the stereo are all higher on my list than a cars looks, not necessary in that order.

I would like 160-175hp with the current cruze weight. Torque is fine, but needs HP to back it up. 0-60mph is to slow, even more so if you have to accelerate 0-60mph from the bottom of a hill.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hmmmm depending on the power of these new ones, and overall everything else, I may have to consider a new one for the Wife.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The rear end looks ok, but if this is what the front looks like I'll pass.
Those renderings paint a whole different picture in my mind than the camo shots did (probably their intention). Aside from not being wholly in love with the front, I kind of like it.

If the real deal is close to that, and the new engines have numbers close to what's been speculated with maybe 40 mpg or better on the non-Eco models, I might actually regret not waiting for the 2nd gen Cruze.

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Next-Gen Cruze Mule Side View

German Registration Plate GG-FS671
(GG indicates prototype licensed in the Groß-Gerau district, the home of Adam Opel AG and its' Rüsselsheim facilities).

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 38 Posts