Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2016 Chevy Cruze LS and everything is good so far except for this one problem. When the car come to a stop, the car automatically turn off (auto stop feature) and then when I let go of the brake, the car turn back on but after the car turn on i hear this clunking noise (almost like a gear being shift or a knocking noise). This noise does not occur all of the time so I am assuming it is a problem :(. Does anyone know what the issue could be? so that when I call the dealership I can explain to them better. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
If the electronics are the same in these units that is the ABS Auto Self Check which occurs once per start up and can be heard and felt in the pedal as a grinding, squealing sound at around 8 to 12 mph. However I could be wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the electronics are the same in these units that is the ABS Auto Self Check which occurs once per start up and can be heard and felt in the pedal as a grinding, squealing sound at around 8 to 12 mph. However I could be wrong?
This clunking noise occurs right after the car start (not at around 8-12 mph) from auto stop and it happen multiple times in one trip. do you think it is the same issue still?

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
This clunking noise occurs right after the car start (not at around 8-12 mph) from auto stop and it happen multiple times in one trip. do you think it is the same issue still?
No I don't. I didn't even like my original answer, time to schedule a service trip!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
First, we need to confirm the exact model of your car. Is this a 2016 Cruze Limited LS Automatic or a 2016 Cruze LS Automatic. The Limited is a 1.8L engine and the other trim is a 1.4T direct injection engine.

In the case of the LS Limited, this is the nature of the beast but most people who hear it report this every single time. The generation 1 automatics have a shift to neutral feature that some people can hear reengaging.

If it's a generation 2 LS then I'm going to guess that the times you don't hear the clunk is when the auto-stop feature didn't engage. When the auto-stop restarts the engine this is a light but noticlble clunk.

In both cases I suspect your car is operating normally.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Can someone tell me how the a/c is driven in a stop start engined car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
First, we need to confirm the exact model of your car. Is this a 2016 Cruze Limited LS Automatic or a 2016 Cruze LS Automatic. The Limited is a 1.8L engine and the other trim is a 1.4T direct injection engine.

In the case of the LS Limited, this is the nature of the beast but most people who hear it report this every single time. The generation 1 automatics have a shift to neutral feature that some people can hear reengaging.

If it's a generation 2 LS then I'm going to guess that the times you don't hear the clunk is when the auto-stop feature didn't engage. When the auto-stop restarts the engine this is a light but noticlble clunk.

In both cases I suspect your car is operating normally.
Hi, my car is 2016 Chevy Cruze LS Automatic (gen 2). Sometimes when I dont hear the clunk, the auto-stop feature did engage, I had checked this multiple times. Also, the clunking noise is fairly loud and noticeable

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Can someone tell me how the a/c is driven in a stop start engined car?
Two A/C modes. ECO mode the A/C stops and the blower switches to low. Full mode the engine doesn't stop.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
That makes stop start pretty useless in an Australian summer.
Ditto here in the Southern US. But it makes for excellent EPA City mileage calculations. EPA testing is done with all accessories (radio, A/C, daytime running lamps, etc.) off.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Two A/C modes. ECO mode the A/C stops and the blower switches to low. Full mode the engine doesn't stop.
Full mode does not disable the autostop it just make it stop less and for shorter periods of time it will still stop with the AC on max. it senses the temp in the car and after a raise of so many degrees it starts the engine driver comfort trumps fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Ditto here in the Southern US. But it makes for excellent EPA City mileage calculations. EPA testing is done with all accessories (radio, A/C, daytime running lamps, etc.) off.
And they smashed VW for cheating, two faced it seems.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,207 Posts
Clunk might just be the transmission engaging once the engine starts. Transmission goes into neutral, engine shuts off, engine restarts, transmission puts itself back in gear.

Sounds like what you're describing, anyway.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
And they smashed VW for cheating, two faced it seems.
TOTALLY different scenarios.
VW was caught cheating on emissions. This would be a MPG cheat, but only if it is shown to bring the car's fuel economy down significantly below the rated City MPG. Given that GM is rather conservative with their fuel economy numbers I doubt that the A/C being on all the time will bring this number down far enough to cause an issue.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I just recently bought a 2016 Chevy Cruze LS and everything is good so far except for this one problem. When the car come to a stop, the car automatically turn off (auto stop feature) and then when I let go of the brake, the car turn back on but after the car turn on i hear this clunking noise (almost like a gear being shift or a knocking noise). This noise does not occur all of the time so I am assuming it is a problem :(. Does anyone know what the issue could be? so that when I call the dealership I can explain to them better. Thank you.
Hey there TuanWoodruff,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Cruze! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this knocking noise concern. If you'd like assistance in setting up a diagnosis at the dealership, let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey there TuanWoodruff,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Cruze! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this knocking noise concern. If you'd like assistance in setting up a diagnosis at the dealership, let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thank you but I have already set up an appointment with the closest Chevrolet dealership. I hope it goes well (finger crossed).

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thank you but I have already set up an appointment with the closest Chevrolet dealership. I hope it goes well (finger crossed).
Sounds good, TuanWoodruff.

Please keep us updated on how it goes at the dealership and let us know if you need any additional assistance in the meantime!

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 LS is doing the very same thing. I have 400 miles on the car and just about a week ago started noticing the "clunking" sound as I let off the brake and engine starts up. It's also accompanied by an extremely subtle jolt. So from what I'm reading in these replies it's normal? Also the gas mileage seems very low from the 30-42 I was expecting. It's really only getting around 20 mpg and the computer is saying 25. Maybe it's just me I'm not sure yet. I'm taking it to the dealer this weekend for a recall on the battery and I will voice my concerns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a 2016 LT yesterday and notice a slight clunk when releasing the brakes and also the A/C blower completely stops unless the car is moving, even when the eco setting is off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts