Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2016 Cruze Clunking noise after releasing the brake

25K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  GMCwantsLS1 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a 2016 Chevy Cruze LS and everything is good so far except for this one problem. When the car come to a stop, the car automatically turn off (auto stop feature) and then when I let go of the brake, the car turn back on but after the car turn on i hear this clunking noise (almost like a gear being shift or a knocking noise). This noise does not occur all of the time so I am assuming it is a problem :(. Does anyone know what the issue could be? so that when I call the dealership I can explain to them better. Thank you.

#5 ·
First, we need to confirm the exact model of your car. Is this a 2016 Cruze Limited LS Automatic or a 2016 Cruze LS Automatic. The Limited is a 1.8L engine and the other trim is a 1.4T direct injection engine.

In the case of the LS Limited, this is the nature of the beast but most people who hear it report this every single time. The generation 1 automatics have a shift to neutral feature that some people can hear reengaging.

If it's a generation 2 LS then I'm going to guess that the times you don't hear the clunk is when the auto-stop feature didn't engage. When the auto-stop restarts the engine this is a light but noticlble clunk.

In both cases I suspect your car is operating normally.

#8 ·
Two A/C modes. ECO mode the A/C stops and the blower switches to low. Full mode the engine doesn't stop.

#16 ·
Hey there TuanWoodruff,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Cruze! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this knocking noise concern. If you'd like assistance in setting up a diagnosis at the dealership, let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#19 ·
My 2016 LS is doing the very same thing. I have 400 miles on the car and just about a week ago started noticing the "clunking" sound as I let off the brake and engine starts up. It's also accompanied by an extremely subtle jolt. So from what I'm reading in these replies it's normal? Also the gas mileage seems very low from the 30-42 I was expecting. It's really only getting around 20 mpg and the computer is saying 25. Maybe it's just me I'm not sure yet. I'm taking it to the dealer this weekend for a recall on the battery and I will voice my concerns.

#22 ·
Stop and go

I found in my stop and go heat with it on Eco mode it was actually making a clunking sound and could feel it in the car from the passenger front area. With the car on full A/C the sound never came back. For me that was all the clunking issue as it does it at slow speeds. Probably a limit of the system riding the line. Its a nasty clunk to be sure.

#23 ·
I have 2016 and have the noise too. Its mainly when going slow. Of course the dealer said its normal but its not because i another exact 2016 that didn't make the noise at all. Its most noticeable going slow over bumps or when auto stop starts the engine and it engages the transmission. Its not horrible but is shouldn't be there. I think something is just not tight enough. I'm going to look at tightening the swaybar bolts, sway bar links and the strut bolts this weekend to see if goes away. I thinks its the sway bar bolts because of the way it sounds. I will respond with my findings once i'm done.

#24 · (Edited)
Mine does this as well when auto start engages after taking my foot off the brake, but only after stop and go traffic, and it needs to be hot outside, >85F. Otherwise it remains quiet w/ no clunk when I start to go again.

Auto Stop is probably the only thing I don't like about this car. I didn't notice it during my test drive, but I think that was because the Max AC was on, which won't allow Auto Stop to engage until it's got enough cold air circulating in the cabin (comfort trumps mpg?). Wish there was an option to turn it off.

Auto stop annoyances:
- When parking, you press the brake to stop and when putting it in park, car turns back on... sometimes only a half second after stopping and turning off. Sounds like I stall out to everyone else, and car will lurch if I park and realize I can inch up when I remove foot from brake and car turns back on. When parking now I keep the gear selector in L to disable auto stop.
- Engages immediately when stopping. It'd be nice to have a 1-2 second grace period. i.e... parking, stopping at a red light that just turned green. *Stopping and turning right on red*. Sometimes if my foot is barely on the brake pedal, it won't engage, but I'd rather not find that happy medium and risk overshooting a stop line.
- A/C blower when on max feels like it goes to 1 setting before off when auto stop is on.

I'll be happy in the winter, as I read auto stop doesn't engage when temp is below 32F. Hope that's true.

#25 ·
I did find tightening one of the sway bar bolts help with some of the noise. I didn't have the correct tool to get to the second bolt because its so close to the firewall. but what i'm getting from this is whoever is putting the right side of the suspension doesn't have the right torque settings for the bolts. Its also possible the strut is not fully tight either. So if your mechanically inclined you can tighten these up your self or tell the dealer to just retighten everything.

#26 · (Edited)
Mine has the same noise from under the passenger floor board. I took it in to my local service department. They had it for about 4 hours and said it is a know issue with the new Cruze. Tie rod is bad. They said in cooler weather or when you first drive the vehicle it is not noticeable, but after the part heats up do to climate or use it starts the noise. They informed me they are on National backorder and that they have 4 other new Cruze with the same issue, 2 of which are their loaners. Service manager said the part has changed numbers twice and now has a final part number. The order screen does show 0 on hand. I have had my car a month now and it started out just doing it when reengaging from the auto stop feature, but now does it intermittently during normal driving as well.

#28 ·
Said it's okay to drive but if I feel the car start to pull or shaking in the steering wheel to bring it in or call roadside assistance. They said if that happens I will be put in a loaner at no cost.

#30 ·
I would like to chime in hear. My premier RS started to make a clunking noise at 500 miles at slows speeds. I just thought it was a tight suspension needing break in. After 2500 miles I took it in to my chevy dealer in central Florida and told them in detail about the clunking noise. I also had researched for any technical bulletins and could only find the front bearing bolts not torque properly but my cruze was built after the notice went out. The chevy dealer could not find anything wrong and tighten everything. The next day of driving the noise was still present. I called and took it back. Told them I would like a ride along with a tech. We drove the car on smooth surface at slow speeds and the noise was present. I left the car for more diagnostic and the dealer called be back with the results. They told be bad tie rod ends. This was on Saturday 9/10/2016. They ordered the parts that same day. The tie rod ends are to arrive today 9/14/2016. I will keep everyone up to date when I get the car back. Should be Thursday. This maybe another hush hush problem that chevy is having with the new cruze.

#34 · (Edited)
Yeah they just called me today and set me up to have mine replaced next week. Sorry for not chiming back in (pontiacgt) but they didn't give me a work order, so I called today and she said that the work order sheet will be generated when the part is replaced. The one they have right now has my vehicle info and the customer stated issue info but not the repair information. The head tech here at Regal Chevy in Lakeland, FL is the one that initiated the service bulletin and has requested for it to be investigated for recall status. He is a pretty cool guy that has been in the business for a while and showed me his emails with the company. I also asked him and he said he'll work on trying to get his hands on the OEM fog light kit for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.