Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My younger brother has a 2016 Cruze with around 90k miles on it. He has owned the car for almost 2 years and in that time hasn't had any issues, until recently. About 6 months ago he took his car to get an oil change and long story short, they left the coolant cap off. Fast forward and to keep things short, here is what he has done to his car since then:

Replaced water pump
Replaced the engine coolant water outlet (the old one broke at the main line in, which I have come to find is somewhat typical on these?)
Transmission fluid change (old fluid was burnt as I suspected due to the few times his car has over heated now)

What he is saying now is that when he tries to accelerate even somewhat moderately the tachometer will sort of jump up and down rapidly and he doesn't accelerate like he should. The problem happens in all gears and is worse if he really tries to hammer down on the gas. At first he thought this was the tranny slipping but it doesn't quite sound like it.

This brings us to today. He had his car back in the shop and they plugged in and found three codes; p0236 p0237 and p2227. Because of these they replaced his boost solenoid but he is saying that he is still having the same issue. At this point I am wondering if this is a fuel delivery issue or a miss fire or something else of the sort?

Thoughts?

Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure @Shroomie got that from me ;)馃憤It means: Kaboom! It's going to be expensive.

How long did he drive it without a coolant cap?
Oh boy... I can't really say how long he drove it without the coolant cap. According to him, he was driving along and looked down and noticed the temp gauge was much higher than it should have been, so he pulled over and let it cool down. He started it back up and watched it go fly up again (obviously, being the system was empty) and shut the car off. After that he had it towed and then had the water pump changed because that got screwed in the process.

Fast forward a month or 2 of the car running fine and he runs into an issue off running way too hot again. So again, shuts car off, has it towed. That's when we found the faulty coolant outlet and replaced it. Topped off the system, he ran it, everything was fine, no leaks or issues.

About 2 weeks after replacing the outlet is when he mentioned to me this new issue. At first he said "I think my transmission is slipping" - but by the sounds of it and the fact that it happens in every single gear, I don't think that's it.

ALSO, I forgot to note this in the beginning. I did an oil change for him and noticed that when the car is idling, if I pull the dip stick and leave it out for more than 5 seconds or so the car will start to idle very roughly. I can also hear what sounds like air pulling through the dip stick port, is this normal for these cars? I have never experienced it before.

Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
Has it been gone over to make sure everything is plugged in correctly on the charge pipes and intake manifold? Those codes are all boost related it seems. Also, why on an oil change was the coolant cap left off, kinda weird???

Reactions: JLL

Premium Member
When an engine overheats alot a things can become damaged in the process.

If you can prove that the shop left the coolant cap off (although it kinda sounds like you can鈥檛) I would get a lawyer and threaten to sue the shop to get the problems fixed for free.

For future reference, ALWAYS, check a shops work after service the same day. That way it's more believable that the shop performed service incorrectly.

As for the transmission, When I was upgrading the intercooler in my 2015 Cruze, I found that the transmission cooler is built into the radiator assembly. I know other years are different. Some of them have separate transmission coolers. I guess, the transmission could have overheated if there was no coolant and the cooler was integrated into the radiator???

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
When an engine overheats alot a things can become damaged in the process.

If you can prove that the shop left the coolant cap off (although it kinda sounds like you can鈥檛) I would get a lawyer and threaten to sue the shop to get the problems fixed for free.

For future reference, ALWAYS, check a shops work after service the same day. That way it's more believable that the shop performed service incorrectly.

As for the transmission, When I was upgrading the intercooler in my 2015 Cruze, I found that the transmission cooler is built into the radiator assembly. I know other years are different. Some of them have separate transmission coolers. I guess, the transmission could have overheated if there was no coolant and the cooler was integrated into the radiator???
We told him right after he found out about the cap that he needed to go back to them right away and let them know what happened so they would make it right, well he never did. Thats an entirely different argument that we won't bother to touch haha.
Has it been gone over to make sure everything is plugged in correctly on the charge pipes and intake manifold? Those codes are all boost related it seems. Also, why on an oil change was the coolant cap left off, kinda weird???
The shop he went to does routine checks on fluids and other basic stuff. He hasn't gone over the pipes and manifolds, no.

Premium Member
We told him right after he found out about the cap that he needed to go back to them right away and let them know what happened so they would make it right, well he never did. Thats an entirely different argument that we won't bother to touch haha.

The shop he went to does routine checks on fluids and other basic stuff. He hasn't gone over the pipes and manifolds, no.
I think he was referring to when the water pump and outlet were replaced?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I think he was referring to when the water pump and outlet were replaced?
After the water pump was replaced the cap was installed and all was fine until he developed the leak at the outlet a few weeks later. I replaced the outlet and he hasn't had any leaks since.

Premium Member
After the water pump was replaced the cap was installed and all was fine until he developed the leak at the outlet a few weeks later. I replaced the outlet and he hasn't had any leaks since.
When did the codes come up then?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
When did the codes come up then?
Well this stuttering issue started a few days after the outlet was replaced. I don't think that would have anything to do with it?

As for the codes, he never had a check engine light but the shop i guess plugged in and found them stored. That was within the past couple of days.

Premium Member
Did you unplug anything to change the water outlet or inadvertently pull on any wires or get coolant on electrical connectors?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Did you unplug anything to change the water outlet or inadvertently pull on any wires or get coolant on electrical connectors?
Not that I know of. Install seemed to go just fine. I told him I could double check things for him but to my knowledge nothing was missed or possibly fried.

Premium Member
Not that I know of. Install seemed to go just fine. I told him I could double check things for him but to my knowledge nothing was missed or possibly fried.
Ok. I wanted to ask some follow-up questions. @Thebigzeus had a good point about those codes being boost related. I wouldn't think you would get those codes with overheating and coolant issues. But as I said before, when things overheat, especially multiple times, different things could get damaged.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. I wanted to ask some follow-up questions. @Thebigzeus had a good point about those codes being boost related. I wouldn't think you would get those codes with overheating and coolant issues. But as I said before, when things overheat, especially multiple times, different things could get damaged.
Completely understand. Is it possible a coil pack issue or spark plugs? I would think if it was either of those causing this much of a problem he would have a check engine light on, though.

Premium Member

Registered
If it overheated could it have cooked the oil in the turbo oil line and caused a plug which in turn is killing the turbo?

That wouldn鈥檛 necessarily cause the stuttering though, just slowness. Unless the turbo was working intermittently.

Registered
Oh boy... I can't really say how long he drove it without the coolant cap. According to him, he was driving along and looked down and noticed the temp gauge was much higher than it should have been, so he pulled over and let it cool down. He started it back up and watched it go fly up again (obviously, being the system was empty) and shut the car off. After that he had it towed and then had the water pump changed because that got screwed in the process.

Fast forward a month or 2 of the car running fine and he runs into an issue off running way too hot again. So again, shuts car off, has it towed. That's when we found the faulty coolant outlet and replaced it. Topped off the system, he ran it, everything was fine, no leaks or issues.

About 2 weeks after replacing the outlet is when he mentioned to me this new issue. At first he said "I think my transmission is slipping" - but by the sounds of it and the fact that it happens in every single gear, I don't think that's it.

ALSO, I forgot to note this in the beginning. I did an oil change for him and noticed that when the car is idling, if I pull the dip stick and leave it out for more than 5 seconds or so the car will start to idle very roughly. I can also hear what sounds like air pulling through the dip stick port, is this normal for these cars? I have never experienced it before.
air through the dipstick sounds like a vacuum leak that wouild also explain studdering. i would check the valve cover (pcv valve)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts