Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2016 Cruze on Monday. I love the car. I want a locking gas cap. The dealer tells me no locking gas caps available? Says its because of emissions. Locking gas cap will set off check engine light? Anyone know of a locking gas cap for my cruze?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'll guess that the dealer folks are assuming emission control may be why Chevy doesn't offer the part......but it also may be that Chevy doesn't want to be in the gas cap business.

Regardless, see if something is available through a traditional auto parts store.....most commonly seen locking caps are marketed by Stant Corp.

Congrats on the new ride.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Stant website shows one for the '14. I figure it should fit the '16. They had a chart with different part numbers for part interchange (whatever that means)
CARQUEST10504
CARQUEST35067
Gates31780
Gates Canada31780
General Motors12495845
General Motors15070013
General Motors15070014
General Motors15763228
NAPA703-1720
Stant10504
Stant (Carded)11504
Stant (Small Card Retail)11504

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
OK,
Just got off the phone....doing a bit of legwork for you.

I first went on the Stant site and entered your car......no coverage for 2016 locking cap.
Then, I tried a earlier year, same car......2011,2012,2013,2014,.......locking cap available......2015,2016, no coverage.

Next, I called my dealer.......they checked all year Cruze, 2011 through 2016 and as I suspected, same cap, all years.

This means the aftermarket has not updated their catalog's......a very common occurence with aftermarket since most parts are under factory warranty and aftermarket movement is almost non-existant.

Regardless.......all that gobblygook to let you know, a Stant, part# 10504 is the locking cap that fits your new Cruze.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I just went to the dealer and they tell me the CEL will go on if I put on a locking cap.
If it does then the cap isn't seating properly. A properly seated cap doesn't matter if it's locking or not.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I just went to the dealer and they tell me the CEL will go on if I put on a locking cap.
Good grief!

Stant and others have been making sealed fuel system caps (locking) from the beginning of sealed (non-vented) systems.
The system on the Cruze has not changed from 2011.

The only thing that should be considered is, IF a check engine light was set, AND it was a fuel system integrity test, AND the cap failed the vacuum test, it would not be a covered repair.
But that is only because the part was not supplied, as original equipment, by Chevrolet.

So, get a aftermarket cap from Stant, and try it out. I'm confident it'll be fine, but if it did set a light, put the original cap back on and the light will reset after about ten start/run cycles if it was caused by the cap.
If the light goes out, return the cap for credit.

I have never had a CEL caused by a locking cap.....I have had CEL's from, lose caps, or folks refuelling while the engine is running, or caps that won't hold vacuum......locking type or not.

The dealer is the last place to ask about anything not installed on the car by the manufacturer......they will always recommend against it because they have no information available.

Myself, I don't like them because sometimes the lock freezes here in the snowbelt and then you have to get the car somewhere warm to get the cap off.
You however, may be operating where that is of no concern.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Them them not to talk to my car. I've gone though a few tanks of gas with a locking cap - no error codes.

Oh - and find another dealer.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
You can get the gm locking cap for a 5th gen Camaro and you can key it to your cruze key. I have been using this cap for over 1 year no problems at all and I have only 1 key. The cap is $60 but is worth it to me because it uses your original key.
ACDELCO GT344 {#22790846, 23159210}
CAP,fuel tank FIL w/PARTS package(BAG) or LOCKING FUEL FILL CAP(KPL)

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Don't bother with a cheap aftermarket locking gas cap, it's defeated in about 4 seconds with a small pocket knife since its a very simple lock.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Daughter's cheap $13,000 Kia Base model Soul came with a locking fuel filter door.

Really no concern about someone trying to siphon gas out of these things, next to impossible, but is concern about some dingbat pouring crap in your fuel tank, like some pimple faced kid that your good looking daughter doesn't want anything to do with. Also concern about someone stealing your gas cap.

Other two vehicle I have, have locking fuel cap doors, Cruze does not, so very concerned where I park it. Other vehicles have stamp steel doors, Cruze is a cheap piece of plastic. Did study it for while, like mounting a file cabinet like lock or a spring loaded pin I could pull from inside of the trunk, but couldn't come up with any brain storms.

One way to get around this is by leaving it in the showroom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts