Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2016 Cruze with 15" steel wheels for my daughter and I need to equip it with winter tires for next year. I have multiple questions that I'm hoping the community can help with. First I believe I have identified the wheels as GM#13434777 size 15x6 bolt 5x105 offset 39mm, would like to verify I am correct on specs. Second I'm trying to decide if winter tires on all four wheels is a must or if front two only is acceptable/advisable. Third I found a used set of 15" alloy wheels from a 2016 Sonic (p/n 5523 I beliveve) and am trying to determine if they will work on my Cruze. Fourth if Sonic wheels will work or if I go with steel wheels, is there an inexpensive TPMS relearn tool I can use to reset sensors when I change out wheels (EL-50448 or EL-50558 maybe?). Fifth if I buy a set of steel wheels what TPMS sensor do I need. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
1. Specs are correct.
2. Sonic wheels work.
3. Always...winter tires at all four positions.
4. EL-50448 is the correct tool.....put # in search bar....many different prices and it has come down dramatically since I got mine some years back.
5. Enter part# 13598771 in the search bar for tp monitors. This is the newest G.M. part number for the 315 mhz unit......usually sets of four can be found in the $50.00 range......a screaming deal.

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
5. Enter part# 13598771 in the search bar for tp monitors. This is the newest G.M. part number for the 315 mhz unit......usually sets of four can be found in the $50.00 range......a screaming deal.

Rob
$50.00 for four of these? Where? Haven't been able to find any of these for this price, not even close. Best I found was $30.00 each.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
$50.00 for four of these? Where? Haven't been able to find any of these for this price, not even close. Best I found was $30.00 each.
Enter the part number in the search bar....13598771......seller jkstore14.......$59.25 free shipping.
I purchased five sets of four last month.......he bumped the price $10.00......still a super deal.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
O.K. found it but will these fits my 2018 because according to the fitment, it does not.
Looks like your original part# is 13581558.........this# is updated to 13598771.
I might add the newest part number was preceded by, best as I can tell, five previous part#'s.
Best guess......GM is using multiple suppliers......same spec., different source.

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like your original part# is 13581558.........this# is updated to 13598771.
I might add the newest part number was preceded by, best as I can tell, five previous part#'s.
Best guess......GM is using multiple suppliers......same spec., different source.

Rob
So in the end, the 13598771 will fit the 2018?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's an update to this...I bought these on February 18 but only got to install my summer tires today April 21. I have tried every way that I know to program them properly for my car ( Cruze 2018). These TPMS sensors CAN'T be programmed with the tool that I bought (the EL-50448) brand new. It's like there is no communication between the sensors, the car and the programming tool.

I always get a message in the DIC that I need to re-learn the TPMS sensors. What can I do?? This is the first car that I own that has this option and after being very careful about buying the proper sensors and tools, all I get is an error in the DIC.

The relearn process will begin just fine but when I point the tool to the TPMS (yes the tool is pressed against the tire) I get nothing. The front left flasher is lighted, like it's supposed but the relearn process doesn't work. Did I get a bad tool or bad sensors...or both?

I'm wondering if the problem is the sensors themselves or the tool so how could I pinpoint the problem?

Help!
:blush:

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,317 Posts
I have learned that there are two frequencies used for TPMS. Gen 1 sensors operate at 315 Mhz, and Gen 2 sensors operate at 433 Mhz. Make sure you have the correct ones. Also make sure you are not near other vehicles that are also being taught as they can cross talk sometimes.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Rob
Well, I ended up making my decision because of this. Without drawing a final conclusion, it seems that these TPMS are not the good one for a 2018. From what I understood from this post from @ Robby, there would be no issues. I know that by looking at the application on the website that it is showing that they will not fit a 2018 but since I was guaranteed that they would fit, I trusted this information since I know nothing about this crap technology. Even before ordering, I asked the seller if these sensors would be a good fit for my car and he said there would be no problem so again, I trusted this information. Seemed like I was wrongly informed twice.

I learned a good lesson right there.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,414 Posts
GM switched from 315MHz sensors to 433MHz sensors in 2017. The learning tool will work with either (mine works with both the 315 MHz sensors on the Cruze, and the 433MHz sensors on my Volt).

The 13598771 sensors are 315MHz sensors and will not communicate with your 2018 Cruze.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
GM switched from 315MHz sensors to 433MHz sensors in 2017.
My 2016 gen2 was made in May 2016, I can pair it to the 433MHz sensors in 2017 wheels.
IIRC, the EPC shows the 433 sensors for 2017 model year and both frequencies for 2016 gen2, so I always assumed the change occurred during the 2016 model year.

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
It's possible the changed it on the Cruze in 2016, but on the Volt, the '16s (first year for the 2nd gen Volt, as well) had 315 MHz sensors, and 2017+ got 433MHzs.

Either way, a 2018 Cruze definitely​ has 433MHz sensors.

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
So I was misinformed twice. Thanks.

No matter what, I'm not spending one more dime on this. This stupid light will remain on in the summer time for the rest of this car life.
FWIW, the TPMS sensors I bought for the MSR wheels for the all-seasons (winter tires are on the stock wheels) either weren't compatible (should have been) or did not work. Any time they go back on, we get the TPMS light on, full-time.

Next time you change tires, swap the sensors then. That was my plan - until my wife blew both right side tires by running over a curb in a parking lot, haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts