Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I picked up a second gen brand new Cruze. I know have 750 miles on it and am curious about the mpg. This morning I filled up at 320 miles on the trip and got a hand calculated 33.47 mpg for this tank. All my driving is 60% highway 40% city. Trip 2 that I reset before I left the dealership is a 35.6 "lifetime" mpg. I drive conservative and am not doing any wot or driving hard nor do I have interest in that. Does the mpg seem low to you guys? Does it improve once I get more mileage? This is my first new car so I didn't know if they get one mpg after the break in.

Also tire pressure is set at 37psi at all corners.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I edited the title for you.

Can you do this for us?. Next time you're actually on the highway and not in stop & go traffic, reset one of your trip odometers. What does it say when you exit the highway, regardless of distance. Do this in both directions to eliminate terrain (hills) as an issue.

Get a Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG account and track all your fill ups. Tank to tank MPG can vary widely. I've had mine vary as much as 35 MPG from one tank to the next. However, over time a much better picture will appear.

Finally, the gen2's have been out for such a short time we don't really know if your MPG is low, high, or average.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Is the LS the 1.8 liter version of motor?
The Gen 2 Cruzes all have 1.4T direct in-line engines. OP's numbers are right on target for the 1st gen LS with the 1.8 engine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
After driving the second generation ad the first I feel like the 2016 LS with no frills gets slightly better milage then my 2012 LTZ RS. Roughly 2 to 4 MPG. I'm willing to bet most of the extra milage is coming from the start stop feature. I wouldn't call this a disappointment as Chevy managed to do this with a slightly larger model.

I find myself torn though between the 2017/8 Cruze Hatchback and the new Malibu however anyone for sure in the market or the segment the Cruze represents would be well served to stick with the Cruze in the second generation. It is a very nice update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i also have new gen 2 and thats on par with what I've been getting for mileage. we've been getting a few hot days here and i have also noticed the MPG dramatically decreases with the A/C on. By dramatically i mean from 29MPG do to 20-21MPG

·
Registered
561 Posts
i also have new gen 2 and thats on par with what I've been getting for mileage. we've been getting a few hot days here and i have also noticed the MPG dramatically decreases with the A/C on. By dramatically i mean from 29MPG do to 20-21MPG
That is fairly standard for any vehicle. A sunshade might help also when you first get in open the windows to let the hot air out then put them up and run the AC. If you have a sun roof you can open that to let it allow the heat to go out of the car while the AC is on a little lower to cool the air inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i live in connecticut so the very few HOT days we have per year i can deal with lower MPG and the other "warm" days i just use the windows and don't sacrifice the lower MPG lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016 Premier RS here with 250 miles on the odo. Average mpg is 19.1 currently, mostly city driving and flooring it often. My old 2013 Cruze averaged 25 mpg with a 6sp manual given the same driving conditions, and I'm assuming the 2016 mpg's will come up after the motor gets broken in more

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is fairly standard for any vehicle. A sunshade might help also when you first get in open the windows to let the hot air out then put them up and run the AC. If you have a sun roof you can open that to let it allow the heat to go out of the car while the AC is on a little lower to cool the air inside.
Window tint is your best defense against heat. Its help protect the interior, keep things cooler, and shade blinding headlights at night. Not mention it makes any vehicle look much better and personalized. I order pre-cuts on ebay for $25, normally 200-400 for a professional job. Running the A/C creates more drag, thus the motor has to work harder and will lower the MPGs on any vehicle. Any turbo charged vehicle will also be negatively impacted by hot weather. I experience all of this in my gen 1 as well.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Window tint is your best defense against heat. Its help protect the interior, keep things cooler, and shade blinding headlights at night. Not mention it makes any vehicle look much better and personalized. I order pre-cuts on ebay for $25, normally 200-400 for a professional job. Running the A/C creates more drag, thus the motor has to work harder and will lower the MPGs on any vehicle. Any turbo charged vehicle will also be negatively impacted by hot weather. I experience all of this in my gen 1 as well.
Tinted windows also help the A/C run more efficiently, because less heat inside from the windows means less actual "run time" for the compressor, which means less drag for a vehicle already running the A/C. The down side to window tint IS night driving, and if you're like my wife, she doesn't like the dark tinted windows. Because of that fact, with my most recent vehicle purchase, I went with Mesa brand window tint, and I believe it's "Mesa 5" tint, which is virtually colorless ... and it's quite pricey, but WOW does it block heat! I'm amazed and wish I could install it on the windshield because it's so awesome at blocking heat and I think it was money well spent.

Your vehicle should see some mpg improvement as it breaks in ... and as a prior Eco owner, myself and others can attest to the fact that you might see slowly steady increases in mileage until you get 10 to 15 thousand miles on that engine. Driving style and fuel octane also make a noticeable impact on mpg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry for the extremely late reply. I've been watching the mpg and I have noticed its started to go up some. I'm going on a roughly 700 mile trip leaving today. I plan on keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a gen2 with 1600 miles on it and my mpg is great on the highway and not so great in the city from the DIC i get about 45-46 hwy and 30-31 city i tend to have a lead foot and my 450 mile average is 33 i do mostly city driving with a good amount of idling (I drive for uber part time) im happy with the milage i'm getting, compared to the v6 impala I traded for it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just got back from a 1,900 mile trip and my mpg was awesome. on the DIC the 450 mi average is 43.7 while i was on the highway i was trying to max out the 25 mile average i did with a insane 55.1 (it was mostly down hill with the cc set to 67 mph). i saved all the fuel slips and did the math my average is pretty close to the DIC at 42.2 for the entire 1,900 mile trip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's some awesome mpg! On my 750 mile trip I averaged 39.0 mpg on the dot. However my speeds were between 75-80 on the highway with probably 60-70 miles of the trip being city. I'm now up to right around 37 on my weekly commute, it seems to be getting better mileage the more miles I rack up.

Is there really a break in period? I've heard that new cars don't get there full mpg under 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thought I'd jump in with my perspective on mileage as I've just hit 10K miles.

Best I've gotten on a 50 mile stretch (per the on-board measurement) was 63.3 mpg. This was a long, flat stretch of road at 60 mph.

Lifetime combined average (per fuel-up receipts) is 32 mpg. ($0.066 per mile)
Stop-n-go & city traffic = 28 mpg ($0.074 per mile)
Country roads and highway = 38 mpg ($0.052 per mile)

Average price per gallon $2.02, with 213 miles between fill-ups

Also, average tire PSI (at fill up, not cold) is 35 psi.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got almost 700 miles and I'm getting 26MPG in the city with my foot in it. I also have heavy 18 inch rims with sport tires.. I can get 34 highway right now going 80MPH and I only run shell premium.

*EDIT* You know what just really turned me off is the fact my tank is only 13 gallons compared to 15 gallons on my 2012.. Means I need to fill up more on my 65 mile commute a day..

·
Registered
44 Posts
mostly highway average around 5.4 L/100 (think that's 43 mpg). best tank was roughly 900 km trip and 5 L/100 with city being between 5.6-5.8 L/100. Car has just over 9000 km on it.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,228 Posts
Averaging 35 MPG on a 2016 LT automatic. About a 50/50 split over 700 miles.

I'm impressed. I'd probably get ~32-33 in the same, but I'm a leadfoot.

City was ~26, but I kept zooming around and winding it out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts