Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on GM media's site.

The 2016 Cruze will be equipped with the 1.5L Normally Aspirated engine, and the new 1.4L turbo.

Interesting article from Tom Read.

I thought this was the guy that Xtreme met at GM powertrain.

Maybe this article is already posted somewhere.

2016 Chevrolet Cruze Features New Ecotec Engines

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Something similar to that technology has been around for years. The GM 3.5L LX5 engine that was soposed to fully replace the 3800 back in 2000 had something similar.

The exhaust and the coolant both flowed through the water outlet off the cylinder head. When these seals got older, leaks developed due to concentrated hot spots where the exhaust came into the crossover.

A very tight engine bay led to many Intrigue's being sold, because of the labor requirements to repair these gaskets.

Hopefully if this is done as part of the head assembly itself we won't see gasket leaks.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
One engine test I didn't see was thermal cycling. Start it up, reach operating temperature, shut it down. Let it cool. Repeat.

Ever notice how the plastic tanks on radiators always give out on the engine outlet (hot) side and not the cold side? Or that plastic coolant outlet part on the Cruze giving out?

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to that article, the ratio spread on the M32 in use for the new engines is 7:1. Looking at the gear ratios for the standard and the eco M32, the eco has a 7:1 overall ratio while the standard cruze has a 5.7:1 spread, so it appears the new powertrain might retain the gear ratios from the eco.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
No matter how you cut the mustard, aluminum is far cheaper to manufacture than cast iron, for one thing, a heck of a lot machining is reduced. Plastic is even cheaper.

Ha, back in 1962 purchased a Rambler station wagon so I could carry everything I owned in it, had an aluminum engine, worthless up north, if the temperature dropped below freezing, pistons would lock up, couldn't even start the darn thing. But aluminum is not aluminum, over 500 different grades and alloys of this stuff, maybe today they have something better?

Sure sounds like a load of BS to water cool the aluminum exhaust manifold for emissions, cat and O2 sensors are worthless until they warm up, unless they came up with something new. Can see one good reason to cool it, with an average of 1,400*F exhaust temperatures, it would melt to a blob. List this as another throwaway part if you have engine cooling problems. Forget about using brass and copper for cooling, more aluminum and plastic is used for this. Even neoprene hoses can take a much higher temperature than plastic.

One thing I didn't read is if they moved that oil filter to the intake side where it should have been located in the first place so if it did leak, wouldn't pour on a red hot exhaust manifold causing an engine fire. But maybe they feel that since the exhaust manifold is water cooled, won't have this problem. That cutting a hole in the under engine shield is still the dumbest thing I ever heard of.

Also did not read if this new engine underwent a million miles of testing under all conditions, or is this something they will dump on us like other major GM disasters where you learn your resale value is less than zero. Ha, like MS dumping all that crap on us for years, but at least given four years will correct it for free, forget about all this misery we had to get through.

With a car, sure take a beating, took one with that 62 Rambler, was worthless on a trade in, so been a tad more careful since then. Guys that purchased the Caddy diesel and 8-6-4 also took a beating not to mention the Corvair or other pieces of crap.

Ha, if you want to save 50 pounds of dead weight, take that off of your gut if you have one, not only feel better, but will live longer. Same with our vehicles. With this DOT demanded crushable unibody, whole unibody is one huge large throwaway part. Call this progress, I call it regression.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
2016 Cruze Eco CVT?

2016 Cruze Eco with CVT Transmission?

Earlier today Trifecta posted a bit of eye-catching direct-from-GM information on their Facebook page about various 2016 Cruze models. The 2016 Cruze Eco is shown being equipped with a CVT transmission.

Comments ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts