Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2016 Cruze with around 100,000 KM on it and I just started getting a squeaking type noise when coasting. The problem only occurs once I have accelerated to speed (around 40 to 50 km/hr) and then let off the gas. As soon as I let off the gas I hear this squeaking sound. If I press back on the gas the noise either goes away or I can no longer hear it do to the noise of the engine. If I press on the breaks the noise is still there.

The noise is cyclic with wheel speed so as I coast down to a stop or slowly apply the breaks the squeaking noise slows down. It also appears to have a two hits per revolution: do-do; do-do; do-do; At first I thought it was a typical wheel bearing problem since it has all the usual symptoms but rather then a grinding or wow - wow - wow sound it sounds more like rubber squeaking. Almost like a kids squeak toy. So I was thinking I could rule out wheel bearing. Since it is not a grinding type sound (metal to metal contact) I want to rule out rocks stuck between rotor and backing plate. Pads are also in good shape so I find it hard to believe it would be the wear indicator on the brake pads. There is some rust forming on the edge of the front rotors so I know this needs to get fixed but again I think this would be a grinding type noise.

The sound to me sounds like a squeaking control arm bushing or some type of suspension related problem but since the noise is cyclic I find it hard to be suspension related. I have shaken all 4 corners of the car and I do not hear any noise when the car bounces.

The last thing I noticed is that the rear drum brakes have a tight section. If I put the car on the lift and rotate both rear tires (one at a time) for about 270 degrees of rotation the tire spins without any resistance and then for the last 90 degrees (approximate) the wheel becomes harder to turn. It does not lock up but it does take some effort to turn past this section. From this I would guess my rear drum brakes need to be adjusted but I do not see this being the cause of the noise.

Anyways I thought I would post my problem here to see if anyone else has heard this type of noise before and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to pull off, clean and adjust the drum brakes. My right rear drum on my 2012 would let out a horrible shriek when it needed cleaning and it had gotten cool enough overnight to form dew on it.

If you STILL hear something, I have heard GM wheel bearings squeak rather than your typical bearing drone noise. Granted, that bearing in question was on an 87 Buick; they're a sealed hub now I think.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd look and make sure the CV boots are in good shape. Also check the torque on all of your wheel nuts. They can make an odd sound as they work themselves loose.

But based on what you've said, I'm going to go with rear brake drum. That's not right and the speed difference in doing it by hand might be the difference in hearing the noise or not. But here's a quick test: When you hear the noise, pull up just a bit on the hand brake. If it goes away, that points to rear brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Wheel covers or aluminum wheels?

If wheel covers, remove them and drive the car. If aluminum wheels, air the tires about 5psi higher than door specification and see if sound changes or disappears.

If sound remains, consider having the drums machined and then clean and adjust. You may be hearing the brake shoes moving on the backing plate(s) as they follow the out of roundness.
The out of roundness can be caused by setting the parking brake too tight against a hot drum. The slight deformation that occurs remains after the drum cools.

My recommendations are based on the assumption you have verified the front pads and rotors are in good working condition.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it turns out I tighten the lug nuts by setting the torque to 100 lbs and the problem went away (so far). I had about a 45 degree turn of the torque wrench before it beeped. Not sure why they were loose. I will drive it a few days and see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts