Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving a 2012 Chevy Cruze and have been cross shopping the new 2016 Cruze and Malibu. The way I figured it out, I can either afford a base Malibu LS or a nicely equipped Cruze LT with the sunroof/Bose package. Has anybody else cross shopped these vehicles, and what was your decision? Does anyone else think the Cruze actually has a nicer interior than the 'Bu? The Malibu is obviously larger inside, but I thought it felt more cheap and the materials weren't as nice (this was the base LS of course). Is it me, or does the Cruze feel more upscale than the Malibu?

By the way, I just clicked 50,000 on my '12 Cruze. It's been a great car! I had one major repair (a leak in the coolant reservoir) that was fixed under warranty. Otherwise it's been a reliable and comfortable car for the past 4 years, but the gas mileage could be better. I have a light foot and I'm still averaging only 29 MPG in mixed driving.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm currently driving a 2012 Chevy Cruze and have been cross shopping the new 2016 Cruze and Malibu. The way I figured it out, I can either afford a base Malibu LS or a nicely equipped Cruze LT with the sunroof/Bose package. Has anybody else cross shopped these vehicles, and what was your decision? Does anyone else think the Cruze actually has a nicer interior than the 'Bu? The Malibu is obviously larger inside, but I thought it felt more cheap and the materials weren't as nice (this was the base LS of course). Is it me, or does the Cruze feel more upscale than the Malibu?

By the way, I just clicked 50,000 on my '12 Cruze. It's been a great car! I had one major repair (a leak in the coolant reservoir) that was fixed under warranty. Otherwise it's been a reliable and comfortable car for the past 4 years, but the gas mileage could be better. I have a light foot and I'm still averaging only 29 MPG in mixed driving.
I feel an equipped car is more worth the price than a base Malibu, however having a larger car would be nice !! I only average 24.9 keeping a REAL light foot, under 2K rpms !!

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
2,254 Posts
Malibu all the way, for sure my next one. More room, similar fuel economy, dual note horn (lol). If you do shopping around you can get a well equipped Malibu for the same price. We have one for $24k I've been eyeballing.

·
2,254 Posts
I encourage you to test drive both of them though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Malibu all the way, for sure my next one. More room, similar fuel economy, dual note horn (lol). If you do shopping around you can get a well equipped Malibu for the same price. We have one for $24k I've been eyeballing.
Thanks Sparkman! I have test driven both. The Malibu is definitely "smoother", but I keep coming back to the Cruze, probably because I'm used to driving a compact. I agree, I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on a 'Bu, especially for the 2016 closeouts later this year. $24k is indeed my limit, but I'd really like the Bose system, which I can only afford in the Cruze.

·
2,168 Posts
Both were in my price range when I was shopping for a new vehicle and I went with the Cruze because I could get it with a manual transmission.

Reactions: nobog

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would choose the cruze since it has more options and gets better MPG(3MPG City, 5mpg hwy, 4mpg combined). By those numbers most will average 4mpg better with the Cruze, based on my average yearly miles driven, I would need 77 extra gallons to drive the mailbu, $2.50 a gallon that's Almost $200 fuel saving a year with the cruze for me.

Compare Side-by-Side

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, my son an inch taller than me tells me he likes his minivan and SUV, can finally get in without ducking his head. But when it comes time to bring my grandkids here, complaints about the cost of fuel, can use four gallons, but when go to his home, closer to two gallons.

No choice but to look at new stuff, considered a compact to a so called mid sized vehicle, foot is exactly 12" long, mid size is about a half a foot longer, but getting behind the wheel, a mid sized hood seems a lot larger. What kills me is the EPA fuel economy on these things with a lot of extra HP you can't even use.

Can always look at the specified interior dimensions, we sure did this with new grandkids, appears the rear seat width is 53" for all vehicle, including SUV's, this is what our Cruze was.

Sure putting on the miles on my 88 Surpa, use to always average 28 mpg, last three tanks dropped down to 24 mpg. Is in perfect tune, but for years the heating value of a gallon of gas was 120,000 BTU's just reading figures on the net,dropped down to more like 103,000 BTU's per gallon. So not only getting screwed at the pump, but additional screwing with poorer fuels. In effect actually paying about 17% more per gallon than what the pump says.

Sure was a huge difference between a Caddy and a Chevy, my old 73 Fleetwoood was five foot longer than a Chevy, today, all about the same, just about a couple of inches.

Dealers ask me why am I on my hands and knees looking under the vehicle, say I am looking for tow hooks, all are missing, nobody seems to know why. Did a net search, only find other guys asking the same question. Started prying on the plastic, was told to be careful, might break it.

Was doing work on my motorhome, dug out my 18" breaker bar and even have a four foot extension. On this new stuff, looking for my plastic pry bar and a pair of tweezers. They don't make em like they use to. Talk about sticker shock, for a piece of plastic!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I hate ducking inti and crawling out of a car. I'd take the hit in fuel mileage everytime.

Reactions: sparkman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts