Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firstly please accept my apologies if I've got this in the wrong section.

Hi
I have a 2016 Holden Barina RS (same as the Chevrolet Sonic 1.4 turbo) 6 speed manual gearbox version (Engine A14NET). Keep in mind that I have two of these with both being the same but only one year apart so I've been able to swap over parts from a known good car that doesn't have this fault.

The fault is when you are accelerating from 1st to 2nd (more noticable) and onwards to 3rd gear. In between each shift the car hesitates and jerks a little between gears and loses power. It's more of an annoying problem and I'm not imagining this either as I have two of these cars and my other car (identical year/model) doesn't do this. It's almost like the engine hesitates between gears before applying the power again which causes the jerking sensation.

I've done the following to check things out.

Note: No Fault Codes either and the car has traveled only 39,872kms (24775 miles).

• Replaced the 4 spark plugs (BKR7E (4644) gaped to 0.7mm as per GM’s recommendation)
  • Removed coil pack (was found to be ok)
  • Swapped coil pack with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change)
  • Checked air filter (was found to be clean)
  • Removed throttle body and cleaned (was found to be mostly clean)
  • Swapped over throttle body with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change)
  • Removed air mass sensor (was found to be clean)
  • Swapped over mass air sensor with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change)
  • Checked 2 engine mounts (drivers side and centre subframe mount – both are ok)
  • Swapped out the accelerator pedal with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change) (26-09-2022)
Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,850 Posts
Firstly please accept my apologies if I've got this in the wrong section.

Hi
I have a 2016 Holden Barina RS (same as the Chevrolet Sonic 1.4 turbo) 6 speed manual gearbox version (Engine A14NET). Keep in mind that I have two of these with both being the same but only one year apart so I've been able to swap over parts from a known good car that doesn't have this fault.

The fault is when you are accelerating from 1st to 2nd (more noticable) and onwards to 3rd gear. In between each shift the car hesitates and jerks a little between gears and loses power. It's more of an annoying problem and I'm not imagining this either as I have two of these cars and my other car (identical year/model) doesn't do this. It's almost like the engine hesitates between gears before applying the power again which causes the jerking sensation.

I've done the following to check things out.

Note: No Fault Codes Either!

• Replaced the 4 spark plugs (BKR7E (4644) gaped to 0.7mm as per GM’s recommendation)
  • Removed coil pack (was found to be ok)
  • Swapped coil pack with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change)
  • Checked air filter (was found to be clean)
  • Removed throttle body and cleaned (was found to be mostly clean)
  • Swapped over throttle body with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change)
  • Removed air mass sensor (was found to be clean)
  • Swapped over mass air sensor with other Barina (as this is a known good car - no change)
  • Checked 2 engine mounts (drivers side and centre subframe mount – both are ok)
Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
Are there more than one generations of this vehicle? I mean have they ever done a significant change in body style?

When was the last time you changed the trans fluid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there more than one generations of this vehicle? I mean have they ever done a significant change in body style? When was the last time you changed the trans fluid?
Transmission fluid was changed 2 months ago to Redline: MT-LV 70W/75W GEAR OIL. I doubt this is a transmission fault as the jerky behavior would seem to be more engine power related I would suspect as the gearbox feels fine and shifts well,

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you changed the spark plugs did they all look the same? How did they look overall? How do I "read" a spark plug? - NGK Spark Plugs

It sounds like the hesitation is right as you tipping into the throttle during a gear change in you manual transmission. Is that correct?

Does it hesitate when you tip into the throttle after coasting in gear, and then get back on the throttle hard?

This is a shot in the dark. Have you tried swapping the throttle pedal? Since everything is drive by wire if there is a voltage hiccup from the peddle it might cause the throttle body to do weid things.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you changed the spark plugs did they all look the same? How did they look overall? How do I "read" a spark plug? - NGK Spark Plugs

It sounds like the hesitation is right as you tipping into the throttle during a gear change in you manual transmission. Is that correct?

Does it hesitate when you tip into the throttle after coasting in gear, and then get back on the throttle hard?

This is a shot in the dark. Have you tried swapping the throttle pedal? Since everything is drive by wire if there is a voltage hiccup from the peddle it might cause the throttle body to do weid things.

Thanks and an excellent suggestion. I'll swap the one from the other car and see if that helps. The old spark plugs came out clean and looked fine and I replaced all 4 with new ones in a process of elimination to see if that was the problem but new plugs made no difference. I'll try swapping the accelerator pedal and see if that helps and report back to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and an excellent suggestion. I'll swap the one from the other car and see if that helps. The old spark plugs came out clean and looked fine and I replaced all 4 with new ones in a process of elimination to see if that was the problem but new plugs made no difference. I'll try swapping the accelerator pedal and see if that helps and report back to the forum.
Tried swapping out the accelerator today and unfortunately that didn't make any difference.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,850 Posts
Transmission fluid was changed 2 months ago to Redline: MT-LV 70W/75W GEAR OIL. I doubt this is a transmission fault as the jerky behavior would seem to be more engine power related I would suspect as the gearbox feels fine and shifts well,
Are there more than one generations of this vehicle? I mean have they ever done a significant change in body style? I am trying to determine if this thread is in the correct area.

·
Registered
9 Posts

These questions were posted above, but I didn't find a response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

These questions were posted above, but I didn't find a response.

Hi

Yes you are correct it happens just after you change gear and then go back on the throttle and yes there is a brief hesitation when you are coasting along and then go hard on the throttle again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts