Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
They did it across all their product lines, if I'm not mistaking. Definitely did the same thing on the Corvette.

My guess is to save money, by not having to fix issues for all those additional miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow...that's almost 50%, that's telling me there is a serious bug in their 2016 tranys.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Wow...that's almost 50%, that's telling me there is a serious bug in their 2016 tranys.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Probably just the opposite.

2011's and some early 2012's had problems due to an anti rust additive that was added during production. The transmissions have largely been trouble free.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
They did a market study which apparently showed that a 100K PT warranty was not a major purchasing decision for new car buyers.

Typically most major powertrain problems do happen fairly early in a car's lifetime anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Powertrain, and even bumper-to-bumper coverage is available to 100,000 for purchase via GMEPP.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My tranny went at 80,000 and was covered.

Not sure what the out of pocket cost would have if I had to pay, but if I did...last Cruze I would have bought.

Now, when I'm ready for a new car, the new powertrain will come into play for my decision.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Yes, same transmission.
Gearing is the same, but the transmission itself is a new number entirely for the Cruze (6T35 vs 6T30 (1.8) or 6T40 (1.4)).

The old design has been updated to lose a bunch of weight, support start/stop, and shift more smoothly.

I feel like the ratios are much better suited to this version of the 1.4 as well. What the old engine might have needed 2 downshifts for, this one does with a single downshift and burst of torque.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Gearing is the same, but the transmission itself is a new number entirely for the Cruze (6T35 vs 6T30 (1.8) or 6T40 (1.4)).

The old design has been updated to lose a bunch of weight, support start/stop, and shift more smoothly.

I feel like the ratios are much better suited to this version of the 1.4 as well. What the old engine might have needed 2 downshifts for, this one does with a single downshift and burst of torque.
Still an Aisin-Warner transmission, correct? I don't anticipate any issue with it.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Most auto manufacturers have reduced their powertrain warranties as of 2016. It's usually a matching game for whatever reason they claim, but I would think it'd be more beneficial to sales if your warranty was better than the other guys. Bean counters on the other hand say "Why are we giving up more than the other guys? It's going to cost us more in the long run." In actuality, that cost of a lengthier standard warranty is most likely built into a cars MSRP based upon statistics of how often failures occur and at what cost to the manufacturer so that the end result is no additional costs are actually thrust upon the manufacturer ... unless a higher failure rate occurs than what past and projected statistics indicated. Just a thought ...

Reactions: MRO1791

·
10,712 Posts
My tranny went at 80,000 and was covered.

Not sure what the out of pocket cost would have if I had to pay, but if I did...last Cruze I would have bought.

Now, when I'm ready for a new car, the new powertrain will come into play for my decision.
Mine went just shy of 50K and then some other items in the 60K range. I'd have to see what happens with the 16-17 years to fully make a decision to stay with GM. 100k is still around for fleet purchase and the other brands like GMC.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts