Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to this site and I am looking to get some stories from people who have already purchased the new Cruze Diesel. Would like to know why you bought? What did you come out of? What is your impression so far?

Thanks for participating!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I drove one with the 9-speed auto.

If you interested in first impressions:
-Super quiet. Slight diesel clatter at idle from outside the car; mostly inaudible from inside.
-Sounds almost like a gasser when it revs inside.
-Very peppy from a stop (and through the first few gears) and none of the exacerbated throttle lag from the earlier 2.0 TD
-Transmission's very good about knowing what gear to be in *except* when you do sort of a rolling stop (like to make a left turn). Very smooth gear changes compared to the old Aisin in the 2014-15 CTD.
-Not a ton of top-end or 50+ MPH power, but there is tons of torque to scoot you along, up hills, and to pass moderately quickly. Flooring it and dropping gears doesn't deliver much additional acceleration than lower RPMs.
-There is not as much sound insulation as the 1st gen CTD, but at the same time, the car doesn't feel massively nose heavy like the 1st gen. Aside from the additional torque, it is much like a gas Gen 2 from behind the wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I've had mine for a little over 2 months and have put a little over 5000 miles on. As you'll probably see from my signature, I'm averaging 54 or so after several fill ups. My best tank is the one I just had was 60.9, which was almost all highway which was cruised at 70-75 except during construction. I came over from a Jetta after a deer rendered it undrivable. My Jetta was too old to have been a part of the 'Dieselgate' thing, and honestly if VW had still been making diesels I would have considered it.

When I was looking for new cars, it was either a Cruze diesel or a Prius. The wait for the diesel to become available was pretty painful, as I was stuck driving an old minivan in the interim. I had mine ordered through the dealership, having never once driven a 2017 diesel, and I can say now it was a great decision. It has its annoying things, and I think we discussed that in another thread, something about impressions after XXXX miles.

Edit: Found the post: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/418-...n/205474-my-impressions-after-5000-miles.html

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm on danielfox's 5000 miles thread as the 10k guy. Mine's sitting at 12k miles today. It's also sitting at the dealer with a broken flywheel.

Mine also had an exhaust sensor that was unhappy, but that issue didn't require an extended stay at the dealer and was taken care of at my first oil change.

I came from a 2009 Jetta TDI that has so far been my favorite car of any I've owned.

I like my Cruze. I bought it for the fuel economy and it has delivered above and beyond my expectations. The service writers were going on and on about how I have over 70MPG on my best 25-mile average MPG. The dealer loaner I'm in is a LOADED Sonata Sport model. It has a lot of features I'd like to have on my Cruze, but I'd rather have my Cruze without the options than the Hyundai with all its bells and whistles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tgbcruze, I have just over 5300 miles on my 6-speed manual 2017 Cruze TD Sedan. This is my first Diesel vehicle I've owned. I am very pleased with the car so far! It has plenty of torque and can chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift if you aren't careful. The shifter works well and I enjoy it. I added DEF fluid once so far at just over 3300 miles, and my average fuel economy has been excellent. I filled up for the 9th time today and got 53.57 MPG. One interesting thing is that the Driver Information Center (DIC) reads low for fuel economy. It read 51.1 MPG for today's fill-up. I'm keeping a spreadsheet for the fuel and the DEF consumption, just for fun. I'm averaging 4.45 cents per mile in Diesel fuel costs so far. $260.38 is the total spent on DEF and Diesel during my ownership (Six weeks). I suppose that's pretty economical!

Issues: Only one of consequence. I had a really noticeable buzzing sound in the 2000-2500 RPM range from the top center of the dashboard near the center speaker grill. I mentioned it to one of my dealerships where I work (as a product trainer for Cadillac), and they found that there is a bulletin for just such a buzzing issue. The cure apparently is to install new bolts for the speaker; six of them. They ordered the bolts and installed them, and the buzzing is MOSTLY gone, but on some surfaces it still happens. I may have another dealership check it out if it becomes any worse. But besides this item, occasional Apple CarPlay hiccups (which are now gone, it seems), fairly staid styling and a somewhat average sound system, I really love this car!

I had a 2013 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback prior to this for just under 160,000 miles (which I had bought new). That car was a bit more fun to drive (The Sonic chassis was tuned by the Corvette chassis team, which many people do not realize!) in the corners, but the Cruze is no slouch in the handling department. The ride of the Cruze TD is definitely smoother and softer (and a bit floatier over bigger bumps). I also have just 16" wheels and 205/55R16 tires (vs. 205/50R17 tires on the Sonic RS) and no lowered sport suspension. I'd love to get larger wheels and tires on my Cruze, if for no other reason than they'd fill the wheel wells better. But I'm not ready to drop $2500 on those at this point!

As I posted in other places on this forum, I got this car because my Sonic RS needed a new cooling fan which was not available and I found my new car in stock at the Chevy Dealer in Oxford, MS while traveling for work. I'd have loved to get one with more equipment (like the Side Blind Zone Alert), but I just took what they had in stock at that moment in time. It's my third Summit White Chevy in a row, following a 2011 Malibu 1LT sedan and the Sonic RS. If I could do it all over again, but a year from now, I MIGHT choose a Cruze Diesel Hatchback, because I love hatchbacks and wagons, but I'm thrilled with my new Cruze TD Sedan.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
By all accounts it's better than the gen 1 but I still want to take out the diesel terrain . That's what I would really like to get

·
Registered
299 Posts
Issues: Only one of consequence. I had a really noticeable buzzing sound in the 2000-2500 RPM range from the top center of the dashboard near the center speaker grill. I mentioned it to one of my dealerships where I work (as a product trainer for Cadillac), and they found that there is a bulletin for just such a buzzing issue. The cure apparently is to install new bolts for the speaker; six of them. They ordered the bolts and installed them, and the buzzing is MOSTLY gone, but on some surfaces it still happens. I may have another dealership check it out if it becomes any worse.
Would you happen to know the service bulletin number on that? Mine's at the dealer right now and I've mentioned it to them, but if I can point them right at the service bulletin, that would help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 2017 diesel Cruze manual this weekend - so far so good. I drive 75 miles one-way to work and got 50.3 this morning. I'm expecting that to get better over time. Car drives well, manual shift is smooth, car runs quiet. I'm a previous VW Golf/Jetta diesel owner - loved those cars - so disappointing that VW screwed us and themselves with their diesel car scandal. I think the Cruze is a good alternative. I haven't seen any Cruze diesel commercials yet. The radio/speakers are adequate in the Cruze - I'm hoping there is a way to upgrade the speakers/add a sub eventually. For a daily commuter car I think the Cruze will be great (much better than a Prius!)

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
I just got my 2017 diesel Cruze manual this weekend - so far so good. I drive 75 miles one-way to work and got 50.3 this morning. I'm expecting that to get better over time. Car drives well, manual shift is smooth, car runs quiet. I'm a previous VW Golf/Jetta diesel owner - loved those cars - so disappointing that VW screwed us and themselves with their diesel car scandal. I think the Cruze is a good alternative. I haven't seen any Cruze diesel commercials yet. The radio/speakers are adequate in the Cruze - I'm hoping there is a way to upgrade the speakers/add a sub eventually. For a daily commuter car I think the Cruze will be great (much better than a Prius!)
Couldn't agree more. Congrats on the new diesel and welcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did not drive my Cruze myself a lot yet. but at almost 4500 miles lifetime average is 47 mpg. My wife got 52 mpg+ doing 75 mph where allowed. This was an almost 4000 mile trip all freeway basically. I myself drove on the I-15 in Utah from Salt Lake City north for about 50 miles. I drove strictly 55 mph on cruise. Best 25 mile average was 75.4 mpg.
Its a 2017 Diesel Auto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry I did not reply sooner! I just saw this, and I do not have the receipt with me right now (traveling for work). I'll try to check it when I get back. It improved things, but not completely. It looks like I'm going to have to have the dash top removed from the car to really fix it. My selling dealership will probably do this the next time I visit them for my day job (about five weeks).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry I did not reply sooner! I just saw this, and I do not have the receipt with me right now (traveling for work). I'll try to check it when I get back. It improved things, but not completely. It looks like I'm going to have to have the dash top removed from the car to really fix it. My selling dealership will probably do this the next time I visit them for my day job (about five weeks).
No worries. My dealer folks might find it on their own. They've had plenty of time. Today marks two full weeks mine's been in the shop.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Update on this? I hope you have it back by now!
Yes, I got it back that day. Still has some interior buzzy noises and the clicky noise I hear on the driver side when I drive with the windows open. But aside from those little annoyances, it's back to eating miles and sipping fuel just like it should.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Over the weekend the wife and I went on a trip that was 600 round trip. I filled at 400 miles and hand calculated and got 58.4 mpg. This included some city driving. These cars are kick ass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, I got it back that day. Still has some interior buzzy noises and the clicky noise I hear on the driver side when I drive with the windows open. But aside from those little annoyances, it's back to eating miles and sipping fuel just like it should.
The clicking sounds you hear is the def injector firing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a Gen 1 2014 diesel and traded it for a 2017. Here is what I have found: The gen 1 had many good things that were eliminated or changed on the gen 2.
The gen 2 only has a seat back pocket on the passenger seat gen 1 had it on both seats. The seats were for me more comfortable on the gen 1.
They eliminated the cup holders on drivers door panel storage and in a driving seat position I can not get my hand into it without leaning forward then if I lean back my hand gets caught in the storage bin. This is a safety hazard.
The gen 2 is much noisier both road noise and an an engine hum that is not there in the gen 1. The ride on the gen 2 feels more like an economy car than the gen 1. I suspect the small wheels may have something to do with it.
Moving the DEF tank and providing a spare tire was a much needed improvement and one of the reasons why I upgraded but the gen 1 got 10-12,000 miles on a fill and the gen 2 is only projected to get 3500-5000 miles on a fill.
The engine shut off and restart at a stop while in gear is extremely annoying... for example I normally pull into a parking space and stop about 3-5 feet before being fully in place then creep up so I do not damage the spoiler. On the Gen 2 the engine stops when the car stops. Same thing happens when I stop and wait for the garage door to open and why on that subject there is still no garage door opener built into the Cruze. Also, I suspect the wear and tear on the starter motor and etc. may be a problem when the car gets older. There should be a way to turn it off.
And, since there is now no need to use a key to start the car why didn't they provide a system to automatically lock the car when walking away I still have to dig out the key for that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Moving the DEF tank and providing a spare tire was a much needed improvement and one of the reasons why I upgraded but the gen 1 got 10-12,000 miles on a fill and the gen 2 is only projected to get 3500-5000 miles on a fill.

And, since there is now no need to use a key to start the car why didn't they provide a system to automatically lock the car when walking away I still have to dig out the key for that.
I didn't have to fill my DEF tank until 6,000 something. So those estimates seem to grossly underestimate. I also don't know that my DEF tank was filled completely on purchase.

As for the key fob mention, I think it might be something you have to turn on, but mine locks as I walk away. It's something that has left me hugely spoiled.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts