Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys not sure if it's a new car thing but I'm keep getting this weird smell after an auto start from a stop sign or stop light that smells like nail polish remover or a really strong new car smell like overpowering new car. This car only has 300 miles on it so I'm not sure if it's just a new car smell or something else. Granite I don't smell this during a regular drive it's only after an auto start and then goes away after a couple minutes

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Hey guys not sure if it's a new car thing but I'm keep getting this weird smell after an auto start from a stop sign or stop light that smells like nail polish remover or a really strong new car smell like overpowering new car. This car only has 300 miles on it so I'm not sure if it's just a new car smell or something else. Granite I don't smell this during a regular drive it's only after an auto start and then goes away after a couple minutes
Are you running A/C?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you running A/C?
Yes it's when A.C. and Heater are going it comes out of the vents but then goes away after a couple min. But only when in auto stop.

·
17,486 Posts
Yes it's when A.C. and Heater are going it comes out of the vents but then goes away after a couple min. But only when in auto stop.
The compressor shuts down when the engine shuts down, so the evaporator core begins to warm up as it continues to blow air over it. Reach over and turn off the A/C button as you're driving down the road with the air on and see if that's the same smell. It can be kinda a funky smell, especially in a brand new HVAC system.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The compressor shuts down when the engine shuts down, so the evaporator core begins to warm up as it continues to blow air over it. Reach over and turn off the A/C button as you're driving down the road with the air on and see if that's the same smell. It can be kinda a funky smell, especially in a brand new HVAC system.
I did that and it was a light musky smell barley notible but the other one is like a new car + nail polish remover smell. Like when you smell a carfreshner when you first open it and kind of burns yours nose

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called a dealer and talked to the service manager and he told me they are 3 weeks out. I told him the issue and the dizziness from it and he said bring it in at 830 am and he wants a senior tech in it asap to access what's going on and the smell. He said just don't bring it in at 8 as that is there coffee time and they are waking up lol

·
17,486 Posts
I'm at a loss as to what could cause that smell intermittently without being there all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2016 gen 2 has had this since I picked it up. It never happens when I take it to service though. Dealer's checked for leaks, measured fluid levels, and they're stumped. LMK if you figure out what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2016 gen 2 has had this since I picked it up. It never happens when I take it to service though. Dealer's checked for leaks, measured fluid levels, and they're stumped. LMK if you figure out what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Is it usually after auto start when the air goes back to normal? Or is this all the time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update on a possible cause? I came across this thread while searching the net for the same exact issue. I bought the car last winter and didn't uncover this issue until I started using the A/C in the spring. The problem is very intermittent but when it happens it is a terrible acrid smell. Dealer could not replicate when I brought it in as well. I love this car otherwise, but this issue is frustrating and kind of embarrassing when I have passengers asking me what is wrong with my brand new car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts