Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys could give me some help. My 2017 Cruze USB port doesn't work even after I replaced it.
I've tried multiple cables, including the one that came with the phone, I tried the AUX side of that part and it works 100.

The device shows the lightning charging symbol for about 3 seconds, and then it disappears. The same issue occurs on my S21, Note 20 Ultra, and S20+, I've also tried to use a USB Stick, but the same problem occurs I purchased one of those USB voltmeters to see if the port was getting power and it was but when I plugged the devices into it, it said that it was getting less than 1A of power. I thought that maybe it might've been a loose wire so I took the head unit out and all of the wires were firmly placed.

However, when I tried both a Moto G Fast and a Samsung Galaxy S9, the phone charges, it doesn't connect to the head unit for Android Auto.

I've looked at the fuse it looks fine. Any suggestions? I'm really confused.

Thanks

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,794 Posts
Sounds like a software/headunit issue. Try to reset all settings on the radio, connect it to Wifi through the MyChevrolet app, and see if there's an update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have a solution yet? I have the same issue and don't wanna waste the dealer's time replacing the part, if that has nothing to do with the solution...?

My particulars are that I have a 2018 Cruze Hatchback (not sure trim level) and Samsung phones. I've used the projection with no issues for years and this shift happened randomly with no outside changes creating it. I use the my Chevrolet ap on the phone, I've tried multiple cables etc. The phone will charge, but projection is just no longer recognized. I'm doing a long drive this weekend and would really like to have my familiar projection available.

Basically, is there any way to know if this is hardware or software?

·
17,794 Posts
Anyone have a solution yet? I have the same issue and don't wanna waste the dealer's time replacing the part, if that has nothing to do with the solution...?

My particulars are that I have a 2018 Cruze Hatchback (not sure trim level) and Samsung phones. I've used the projection with no issues for years and this shift happened randomly with no outside changes creating it. I use the my Chevrolet ap on the phone, I've tried multiple cables etc. The phone will charge, but projection is just no longer recognized. I'm doing a long drive this weekend and would really like to have my familiar projection available.

Basically, is there any way to know if this is hardware or software?
Does it recognize anything else plugged into the USB port?

If so, delete your phone(s) from the AA settings in the radio. Turn the ignition off, open the door, and start over pairing the phone to the radio again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does it recognize anything else plugged into the USB port?
In what way do you mean?

If I connect the phone to the cable plugged in the USB port, it will charge the phone and popup a message on my phone saying to check the cable connection. My interpretation was that the cable wasn't transmitting data, only power (due to damage or whatever) and I tried other cables (a gas station replacement and a known working cable) and get the exact same response. When I click the Projection icon on the infotainment center, it gives the message someone else wrote (here or somewhere else, now I can't remember! ack!)

I'm not sure what the AA settings on the radio are either, but I can look for that in a little bit, see if I can do what you say. Thank you for responding!!!

·
17,794 Posts
In what way do you mean?

If I connect the phone to the cable plugged in the USB port, it will charge the phone and popup a message on my phone saying to check the cable connection. My interpretation was that the cable wasn't transmitting data, only power (due to damage or whatever) and I tried other cables (a gas station replacement and a known working cable) and get the exact same response. When I click the Projection icon on the infotainment center, it gives the message someone else wrote (here or somewhere else, now I can't remember! ack!)

I'm not sure what the AA settings on the radio are either, but I can look for that in a little bit, see if I can do what you say. Thank you for responding!!!
Have a USB stick or something around to dump a couple music files on to test? That may help you rule out whether the USB port in the car is damaged or it's just being finicky with the phone.

When I had Android Auto issues, I just got the message that there was no device connected or something, but it would charge the phone. The unpair/repair thing usually worked for my Galaxy S8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a USB stick or something around to dump a couple music files on to test? That may help you rule out whether the USB port in the car is damaged or it's just being finicky with the phone.

When I had Android Auto issues, I just got the message that there was no device connected or something, but it would charge the phone.
Ah ha!!! Thanks! Things just clicked into place! I understand the troubleshooting steps and will be trying them soon. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! fingers crossed that it's an easy fix (aka just a software thing).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah ha!!! Thanks! Things just clicked into place! I understand the troubleshooting steps and will be trying them soon. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! fingers crossed that it's an easy fix (aka just a software thing).
The thumb drive I tried was recognized, but it only had movies on it, so I couldn't actually see the data. So I'm pretty sure that's indicating the USB port itself is fine. I deleted the phone from the android auto setting (and the two previous phones) but it wouldn't recognize the phone again when I attached it again. So I'm gonna try again in the morning with a different cable. Thank you so much for your help on this!!! (Can't say it enough!)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not! Good suggestion though!
Mine randomly started working when all the elements were in alignment. I was waiting for a valet to return my car during a trip to NYC and while waiting, I thought I'd pull up the app on my phone. I think with the other troubleshooting options already done (removing the phone from the in-car application especially) it re-set everything correctly. A couple blocks from getting the car and the option became available for me again.

So key steps, for my particular issue, were to go into options in the infotainment center and remove the paired phone from the application there. Turn off car (open & close door). Log in to the application on my phone, then start the car again. The software took over from there and re-paired automatically.

·
17,794 Posts
So key steps, for my particular issue, were to go into options in the infotainment center and remove the paired phone from the application there. Turn off car (open & close door). Log in to the application on my phone, then start the car again. The software took over from there and re-paired automatically.
Yeah, I had to re-pair my Galaxy S8 to mine every here and again. Sometimes I'd see an error, sometimes it would just refuse to connect whatsoever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In what way do you mean?

Mine is grayed out the usb is there in settings or while screen is in audio playing but it’s grayed no matter if phone charging or not doesn’t matter oem Apple or droid cords. Charge both types but no connection via i guess you say data. Reason why you need oem or actually data cable for your phone to work for projection. In also replace my aux/usb put in my 2016/2017 cruze. I have drained the electrical current from cat over night etc no fix yet and my dealer i wont start So I just won’t go in to update cause I ask for over a year while talking in for maintenance so I finally put a rca port for amp in and since I cut the speaker wire they now voided my warranty so I don’t go in not even for my recall about fuel something cause I got some cosmic work needed and they didn’t want to do it unless I had the quarter panel up to par. Let me know status of your car if you found a fix I think software up date with port replaced would work but maybe just unplugging module and resetting radio might have a shot after drawing current from head unit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts