Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2012 Cruze is in the shop for coolant loss, turns out it is the turbo coolant tube. So it is getting a new turbo and coolant tube and thankfully it is all under warranty. It only has 47k on it but will be 5yrs old in Sept.

I got a 2017 Premier as a loaner. Kind of have to say, I was not a fan at first of the look but it is growing on me. White in color is also growing on me considering I have owned nothing but black vehicles myself, other family members other colors.

I like the placement of the cup holders beside the shifter now instead of behind, that never made sense to me.

Layout of interior seems efficient. Door unlock button on door finally and a trunk button on driver door as well.

One thing I don't like is the brake pedal is way to close to the gas pedal. My big mud stomper keeps hitting it. My 2014 diesel has enough space that I can rest my foot between them when on the interstate and have cruze on.

Parking brake moved to floor gives more room in center console.

Seems to have more power. Pulled out into traffic and under estimated the oncoming traffic, it picked up nicely and I was impressed.

Radio isn't a MyLink but is easy to use and hooks up to phone with ease.

Heated steering wheel, no need now that it is summer but found it interesting it is on the vehicle.

Missing the memory seat option, which I really like. I'm 6' and wife is 5'6". Hate eating the steering wheel when I get into the vehicle. My 02 Silverado has memory seats. LOL

AC cools really well, I'm sure the car being while helps.

The leather seats are not as comfortable as my 2014 and don't seem to have as much adjustment up and down as my 14.

That pretty much covers it in the two days I have been driving it. Will be turning it in tomorrow to pick up our 2012.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,877 Posts
The radio on a Premier should be either the 7" MyLink or 8" MyLink units.

And yes, regarding the cupholders, it looks like a better spot, though the Gen 1's were at least out of the way - you just had to bend your arm/shoulder a bit weird to get to your drinks. I prefer my Cobalt's, which are forward of the shifter, and do not require such contortions.

My Volt's are behind the shifter, but are next to each other cross-car (like my Cobalt's), rather than fore-aft like the Cruzes. Other than having to reach around anything I might have in there (normally driving home I have my coffee mug and my water bottle - on the way into work, it's just the mug, so this isn't an issue), they're in an easily accessible spot.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I guess it is a Mylink, just isn't similar to my 2014 Cruze or our 16 Suburban. Didn't notice if it does the MyLink sign when you first crank the car. To busy enjoying the newness. LOL I could do without the push button start and auto start/stop.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Yeah, it's a new verison of MyLink (2.0) without some of the slowness and glitches the old systems had. They still have their issues at times, but it seems to be much better sorted.

My first impression of the new Cruze was...this is VERY different to drive compared to the Gen1. You get used to the auto stop after a while, and you get used to the sightlines after a while (the small rear window and high beltline of the sides of the car - but forward and side visibility is pretty good).

I wasn't too impressed with the motor until I had it out on the highway and stomped it to get around a bunch of slowpokes. I had been expecting what my 1st gen Cruze and 1st gen Cruze automatics could do - but it actually picked up speed and got around pretty quickly. The powertrain is still one of my favorite things about the car - there's gobs of mid-range to the little 1.4 when you lay into it, but at light throttle applications, it's very laid back and actually feels detuned.

How long did it take you to get used to the super touchy brake pedal?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that brake pedal just about put me through the windshield. :) My daughter said the same thing. It took about four stops before I realized I liked staying in my seat.

My daughter also noticed the difference in the rear window and sight lines. She is pretty observant I have to admit for a 20yr old. She really likes it. Unfortunately she will have to keep her 12 for a few more years. At least until she gets out of college and gets a full time job.

I also notice that there is more tire road noise than on her or my Cruze. Maybe just due to the Michelin's on this Premier. Seems to handle well at least. Now that one said it is lighter I does seem to feel that way.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Yeah, that brake pedal just about put me through the windshield. :smile: My daughter said the same thing. It took about four stops before I realized I liked staying in my seat.

Hahaha. Yeah, my dad did the same thing a couple times when I let him drive it. It's even touchier than their Honda, which I always did the same in after driving my Gen 1.

I also notice that there is more tire road noise than on her or my Cruze. Maybe just due to the Michelin's on this Premier. Seems to handle well at least. Now that one said it is lighter I does seem to feel that way.
Yes - I am not much of a fan of the Michelins - they are loud and bumpy (40 profile; old LTZs were 45). The Gen 2 LTs have amazing ride quality and road noise, but at the same time, they don't like to corner nearly as well as the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Premier. Haven't driven a Premier with the 17"ers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts