Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2017 CTD vs. 2015 CTD - comparisons

806 13
While I was very happy with my 2015 CTD I may look into purchasing a newer version of what I have now, so I would like to hear impressions of how reliable (emissions - mechanical - electrical related) is the newer CTD model, is the 2nd CTD generation much better than the 1st CTD generation or vice versa?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
504 Posts
While I was very happy with my 2015 CTD I may look into purchasing a newer version of what I have now, so I would like to hear impressions of how reliable (emissions - mechanical - electrical related) is the newer CTD model, is the 2nd CTD generation much better than the 1st CTD generation or vice versa?
I'd say you would get more comments if u posted this in the second gen forum.

·
Super Moderator
7,353 Posts
One of the technicians at my dealership has owned both Gen1 and Gen2 diesel Cruze.

He told me that he preferred Gen1 because it was a more powerful engine.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the technicians at my dealership has owned both Gen1 and Gen2 diesel Cruze.

He told me that he preferred Gen1 because it was a more powerful engine.
that's true, Gen1 is 2.0L while Gen2 is a 1.6L engine. Are the transmissions the same?

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,021 Posts
that's true, Gen1 is 2.0L while Gen2 is a 1.6L engine. Are the transmissions the same?
No - Gen 1 has a 6-speed Aisin trans while the Gen 2 had either the 9-speed GM/Ford automatic, or the 6-speed M32 manual. The Gen 2 is considerably lighter, but the Gen 1 is much more powerful and more than makes up for the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have owned both gen 1 and 2. The gen 2 has more passenger room. The gen 2, 9 speed auto transmission is much smoother operating. The power is slightly less but the better shift points mostly make up for the power difference.

I get much better fuel mileage with my gen 2 as well. Also seems to be fewer emissions issues.

I do not miss or regret trading my gen 1 for the gen 2 diesel.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,805 Posts
The Gen 1 sounds like a diesel, and has a healthy punch of torque. It’s very quiet inside from all the extra sound deadening specific to the diesel model. It feels extremely heavy on the road, and the transmission programming is pretty unrefined/clunky.

The Gen 2 diesel masks it’s diesel clatter pretty well outside the car, and from the inside you’re very hard pressed to tell it’s not the 1.4 turbo gasser. Torquey from a stop (probably gearing), kinda spunky, but doesn’t have the grunt the 2.0 does from 40+. It doesn’t have all the sound deadening material so it’s not as quiet, but it isn’t that much heavier than the gas model either. The 9AT is an absolute gem paired to the diesel - better than it is even paired to the 3.6 V6 in other GM products. There have been a small number of transmission issues with the 17s I’ve seen around here.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,021 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Happy with my 2018, a few transmission quirks that you learn about like the occasional slow up shift when taking off from a stop. Good mpg, I avg in the 50ish+ range. (Do a lot of hwy driving though).

So far reliability has been good, did notice an exhaust leak (soot) around the wastegate actuator rod about a year ago but it hasn’t gotten worse. Glad I scotch guarded the carpet & seats.

Pros: many, a couple favorites:

Mileage! Mileage! Mileage!
Quick, Easy oil changes -filter & drain together and access is good

Cons:
Seats - GM could have done better.
Fuel Filter - you have to be careful with the housing. Cap is Not the easiest to get off either.
Cabin air filter - really GM? Have to Take 1/2 the dash apart to change it

Oddest quirk: center display being too bright at night unless you shift into reverse long enough for the backup camera to engage. GM has stated that this will NOT be fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
The second generation runs 30* cooler then the first gen. And is a direct injection vs. Mpi.

The cooler temperature makes it a better car. You won't have the usual problems of the first gen.
I think you are talking about the petrol models as the gen 1diesel runs a lot cooler than the petrol model. My daughter has a 1.6T petrol hatchback Cruze and it runs at around 105C whereas my 2.0L TD runs at around 80C.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts