Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Cruze Diesel that I purchased new in sept, 2017 and have 20800 miles on it. The car has been back to the dealer 4 times with the same problem and in fact it is there right now and has been there since Dec 18, 2018. They replaced sensors #1 and #2 they ran it through several regents cycles and still no luck. I reported the problem to GM so it is on record that this is an ongoing problem that they can't fix. I get a call from GM every 3 or 4 days asking if the car has been repaired yet. They told me that they are working with GM engineers to solve the problem. The had to order parts from GM and the GM rep called me today and said they installed the parts but the check engine came back on.I don't know how involved it is but I asked them why they don't just replace the whole system. I got no reply to that, so they have my car for one month and still can't figure it out???? Funny thing is I bought the Cruze on the rebound from a 2012 VW Jetta TDI. I didn't want to have any problems later on with the VW fix that was available so I took the buyback. It looks like I might be doing it again with the cruze.

·
Registered
157 Posts
software.
ignore it unless it goes into limp mode.
consider keep driving and watch mpg and oil level.
let GM try to fix occasionally or it at every oil change, on their dime, with a nice cadillac or corvette loaner/rental for you if you can swing it.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
software.
ignore it unless it goes into limp mode.
consider keep driving and watch mpg and oil level.
let GM try to fix occasionally or it at every oil change, on their dime, with a nice cadillac or corvette loaner/rental for you if you can swing it.
It's a new car dude, that is definitely not something to ignore. It has warranty for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would lemon law and get a buy back, if gm can’t fix in a reasonable period of time they need to buy it back. From my perspective a car is just a tool to get a job done, this car they don’t know how to fix, get out and get something else. I was lucky and had great luck with my gen 1, I don’t have time to deal with the problems your having.

Reactions: johnmo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked the GM rep about a possible buy buy backend was told that when you apply for a buy back, the have 3 attempts to correct the problem. If they can't fix it GM would review your request for a buy back and then they would decide if your eligible or not.Also I live in SC and the lemon Law is applicable for the first 12 month or 12,00 miles. Go Figure???????

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dear OP yakboy, I wish you the best with your diesel cruze. If the car is annoying you excessively, you know you must trade/unload it asap. GM will likely agree buy it back or let you apply full price you paid to another vehicle, after they flub the third repair attempt, by their own policy, regardless of lemon law or drivability.

Lemon law may require an actual drivability problem. Hopefully it won't get that far for you .

Did you enjoy driving it before the error light was lit?

Does it drive differently when/after the error/OBD light is on?

Please do tell us what is the rental/loaner that dealer has provided, and how it all turns out.

ps - here's more about my diesel stickshift cruze:

My 2017 gave OBD error messages regarding DPF sensors recently, long after recall was done for DPF sensors. It happened while my daughter in law was driving the car and the messages persisted for a few days and I ignored it because its software that doesn't affect drivability and it disappeared a few days later. Weeks later at oil change dealer said no code was stored.

My car is still under warranty but is nearing 36k miles. It sure is the DPF/SCR/DEF stuff which makes me more likely to consider the no-deductible 8/84 extended repair insurance but I doubt I will opt for any extended repair insurance. Local mechanics can deal with the DPF/DEF stuff if any issues after 36k.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I asked the GM rep about a possible buy buy backend was told that when you apply for a buy back, the have 3 attempts to correct the problem. If they can't fix it GM would review your request for a buy back and then they would decide if your eligible or not.Also I live in SC and the lemon Law is applicable for the first 12 month or 12,00 miles. Go Figure???????
I am not sure about your specific state law, however if the problem started before 1 year or 12,000 miles, then maybe you would still be eligible for a lemon law claim? I believe that the 3 attempts start with the first visit, not after you file a claim? Being that you have not had your car in a month and it has been in for repair 4 times for the same thing, I would say you definitely have a good case for a claim.

If that is not possible and you do not wish to keep the car and/or continue waiting for a repair, you may try to work a deal with GM to get a Really good trade value towards another car.

As for the trouble itself, it seems to be an unusual issue. I am guessing that is why they don't want to just change everything at once, that and cost of course. They are changing one part at a time to find out exactly what is going wrong, so that in the future the problem can be more easily fixed. Unfortunately, at the expense of the use of your own car.

I hope they have at least offered a free loaner car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer has been very good overall and they always provided me with a loaner. Right now I am using a 2019 Trax but I would still prefer my TD. Hopefully they can fix the problem and if not we will see where we go from there. So far no one at the dealer has mention anything about a possible buy back.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is a Federal Lemon law that will cover you, and lawyers who will deal with it and charge all fees to GM. I did this back in 2009 on a GMC truck with apparently impossible to fix oil leaks. As soon as the federal Lemon Law attorney got involved, GM offered a generous buy back.

It is also possible your dealership techs are not very knowledgeable and it could clear in a few drive cycles once the computer calibrates to the new sensors and SCR.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts