Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 Cruze LT is getting the 2 recalls done, and they gave me a 17 Equinox.
My wife has a 09 CRV EX-L, so I'm trying not to compare to my car, but to the CRV.

Pros -
1. Quieter than CRV, but not even close to the Cruze
2. Big and roomy
3. Quick acceleration, has the V6

Cons -
1. Expensive - this is a LT with cloth interior, but has AWD and the safety technology in it - $35k sticker - ouch
2. Sucks gas, even compared to the CRV. My wife's CRV has a lifetime 26 mpg, this is showing 21 mpg. It's rated at 18 city, 23 highway.
3. Interior feels outdated, heck it even feels outdated compared to my 14 Cruze.

I'll add more stuff as I see it / feel it.

I just couldn't see paying this price for the Equionox especially compared to the new CRV.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,535 Posts
My sister was just in need of a new car and had an Equinox as a rental. She really liked it; I really couldn't bring myself to recommend the current model, especially with the underpowered I4, having had 2 as rentals. It is outdated, reliability leaves something to be desired with the 2.4L, and you have to thrash the crap out of the engine to do anything.

However, the 2018 Equinox refresh looks very, very nice (even moreso for the Terrain, IMO). CR gave the 2016-17 Cruze high reliability marks, so hopefully the same will hold true for GM's new engine designs (1.5 is based off the same engine; has had some teething issues in the new Malibu).

It came down to the 2017 CR-V and 2016 CX-5 for her. We went with the CX-5 - more attractive lease deals and a very solid little car. The new CR-V is also very nice, especially in upper trims. I still don't like the CVT, but the little turbo engine is a lot more peppy than the K24 in the larger/heavier than Accord platform. I do love the Honda K24, though.

If it were on my list, a Ford Escape w/ the 2.0 Ecoboost, or possibly the 2018 Terrain would be at the top of my running. Then the CR-V in Touring trim (again, demoted because of the CVT...ugh).

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My big gripe about the Escape is the interior and seat quality. The rear seats are so thin. The CX-5's are really nice. I like those and the new 17 CRV.

To tell the truth, I'm not a big SUV fan, anyway. Had to get one for the wife, though. I am more a wagon fan.

·
16,535 Posts
My big gripe about the Escape is the interior and seat quality.
Agreed, the interior design is based on the Focus & is a bit outdated at this point. The car as a whole is also quite small inside (especially the rear - don't think it's much better than a Gen 1 Cruze for the back seat passengers).

But man, it's good to drive. And almost as good of a chassis as the Mazda.

I am more a wagon fan.
Have you seen the new V90? I wish it was more affordable...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I thought I liked the terrain Denali in 17 model, maybe awd it was 49k, that's insane. I know there are incentives and I get a GM family discount, but probably still 40k. I must be cheap..lol

I do think the 18 refresh will help sell them even faster.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed, the interior design is based on the Focus & is a bit outdated at this point. The car as a whole is also quite small inside (especially the rear - don't think it's much better than a Gen 1 Cruze for the back seat passengers).

But man, it's good to drive. And almost as good of a chassis as the Mazda.

Have you seen the new V90? I wish it was more affordable...
Yes, Yes, Yes, love the V90. But of course, way too expensive for what I can afford, LOL. All the great wagons, heck, any wagons, that are left, are way too expensive. Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say that you can't imagine anyone would pay that, but the Equinox is the hottest selling vehicle on my lot.
With the new 18s coming soon, makes me wonder even more why consumers would purchase the 17 Equinox at those prices.

·
16,535 Posts
With the new 18s coming soon, makes me wonder even more why consumers would purchase the 17 Equinox at those prices.
Definitely not unheard of for Chevrolet to slap huge incentives on the hood to move old models out before the new model/year comes in. And that will be happening soon.

The current Equinox is a competent car and a very useful size for a small family. If you needed a small crossover right now, you could definitely do worse (RAV4). Decent amounts of tech in the LTZ rental I had; the LT or LS or whatever it was I had was definitely outdated. I just hated driving it. Definitely needs a diet and turbo torque, which is exactly what the new one brings to the table.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts