Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2017 Gen 2 diesel, AUTOMATIC began intermittently starting loud a couple of months ago. 30K miles. It does this when the engine is cold and when warmed up, as well. Sounds really loud and clattering. Spoke to Service manager. Will be taking it in soon. Otherwise, the car runs fine.

I've tried to add a sound recording to this blog MP3, MP4, MOV. No luck. I am not a computer genius.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I would change fuel filter before doing anything intrinsic. If the filter is slightly clogged it can cause some startup issues, usually in the form of weird sputters, and then clears itself in an instant after the system is saturated.

Beyond that the engine is going to sound different until some stuff like the alternator and a/c engages after which the engine will need to work harder, and usually more efficiently.

Could also be valvetrain noise mixed with low oil pressure not lubricating everything. Good way to check this is to see if the noise changes with newer, of the same previous type, oil. If it dampens it’s likely just valve train noise and will come back as the oil ages.I don’t know the intrinsic of the engine but as certain components wear I.e. cam lobes, lifters, whatever they cause things to not sit right as they once did and they need more oil to more or less pick up the slack. Nothing bad will happen of this, but it adds noise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am.hearing the a similar thing recently and believe the EGR may need to be cleaned.

And I just recently had my fuel filter changed. I am also running r99 diesel that has a cetane of 70.. so it isn't due to low cetane fuel...

Let me know what you find

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi please update on what you find. Take a video and document everything if you’re able to. Keep us updated with what you find

I’d love to hear the noise you’re referring to though. I’m curious if it’s similar to mine

·
Registered
925 Posts
My 2017 Gen 2 diesel, began intermittently starting loud a couple of months ago. 30K miles. It does this when the engine is cold and when warmed up, as well. Sounds really loud and clattering. Spoke to Service manager. Will be taking it in soon. Otherwise, the car runs fine.
Manual Transmission or Automatic? If manual, be advised the DMF (Duel mass Flywheel) can fail and cause noise like you describe, however it would not change much with engine temperature.

My 2017 Auto doe at times seem a bit loud at start-up, then gets quiet. Since I have 3 Gen 2s, 2 Autos. and one manual, I have in family cars to compare to see what is out of normal. It is interesting that between the 2 autos, they do sound a bit different.. but as Snipesy pointed out, engine wear can be a factor.. my 2017 has about 24K, the 2018 Auto has less than 10K on the odo. The 2018 manual is about 28k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2017 auto and a 2018 Gmc Terrain. They both started doing this over the winter. The Cruze has 27k on it and the Terrain has 21k on it. To me it sounds like the starter is getting hung up on the fly wheel when the motor is first taking off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would change fuel filter before doing anything intrinsic. If the filter is slightly clogged it can cause some startup issues, usually in the form of weird sputters, and then clears itself in an instant after the system is saturated.

Beyond that the engine is going to sound different until some stuff like the alternator and a/c engages after which the engine will need to work harder, and usually more efficiently.

Could also be valvetrain noise mixed with low oil pressure not lubricating everything. Good way to check this is to see if the noise changes with newer, of the same previous type, oil. If it dampens it’s likely just valve train noise and will come back as the oil ages.I don’t know the intrinsic of the engine but as certain components wear I.e. cam lobes, lifters, whatever they cause things to not sit right as they once did and they need more oil to more or less pick up the slack. Nothing bad will happen of this, but it adds noise.
I changed the oil a few hundred miles ago, using Pennzoil Euro-L Dexos-2, as I used for the last oil change. So, I don't believe it is oil. old or new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts