Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 17 LT for a back up car. I choose the Cruze because it was the smallest 5 seater with great advertised mpg. Also got the 7 year/75K mile warranty. I'm picking it up today after work and plan on keeping it for many years.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Post some pics?
I just saw my first '17 in the parking lot of a store last weekend. It looked very nice, but it also looked smaller than my '13. Perhaps because of the more aerodynamic front end design?
Anyway congrats on a beautiful efficient chevy!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My daily is a turbo Silverado. Makes some power and fun to drive, especially in the winters up here.

So Ive been driving it for a while now and went through two tanks of 87.

Tank 1
last 25 miles - Avg - 50 Best - 50
last 50 miles - Avg - 42 Best - 47
Last 450 miles - Avg - 36

Tank 2 ( had four hour road trip )
last 25 miles - Avg - 55 Best - 56
last 50 miles - Avg - 54 Best - 55
Last 450 miles - Avg - 41

I am very happy with the mpg. Majority of the driving is with my family of 5 and evenly split between 60mph highway and ~30 city. I just filled it up with 93 and will log two tanks on 93 to see if there is a difference. I doubt it but its worth the test. Either way I'm sitting at over 30 mpg average per tank.

Ive floored it a couple times. I hate the hard spot in the pedal, I'm not sure why its there. There is absolutely no turbo spool or bypass noises. kinda lame. I might look into an intake and external BOV just because its a sound im used to hearing and its cool. I had to break torque it to get any tire spin.

I am also going to drop it to the dealer today for a couple things ive noticed. The stupid hard spot in the pedal at about 3/4 throttle. There is also a shake around 40 mph sometimes. This morning the engine was making a slight ( card in the fan ) noise and I also noticed there was a little smoke coming out the tail pipe under light acceleration. I have the 7 year full warranty on this brand new car and id be a fool to not use it. Ill also ask the service guy if I can put an intake and/or BOV on it. Its worth the question.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is my daily. Its at the local body shop fixing all the little scratches, dings and dents over the years. Once I get it back, the cruze will likely sit and wait. Ill be bringing it to the track at the end of the month to see what kinda times itll run with the new setup. mild built 5.3, turbo cam and drivetrain upgrades. Studs/gaskets, injectors, meth injection, built trans and 3K stall. 76 mm billet turbo, 5 inch thick race intercooler. and its 4x4. =]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuQasrjBRV8

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
This morning the engine was making a slight ( card in the fan ) noise
DI fuel pump makes this noise when cold. It's normal.

The stupid hard spot in the pedal at about 3/4 throttle.
Kick-down "detent". Idk why it's there, but also normal.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the community!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DI fuel pump makes this noise when cold. It's normal.

Kick-down "detent". Idk why it's there, but also normal.
I know the pump and injectors are loud but this seemed a bit louder than expected. That hard spot in the pedal sucks. Is there a write up about removing it? It might be something stupid easy under the dash. I doubt its electronic. They gave me a 2017 hatchback cruze as a rental, not a bad car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I know the pump and injectors are loud but this seemed a bit louder than expected. That hard spot in the pedal sucks. Is there a write up about removing it? It might be something stupid easy under the dash. I doubt its electronic. They gave me a 2017 hatchback cruze as a rental, not a bad car.
Idk, don't think anyone has tried to remove it.

The DI noise has been common on the 3 G2's I've driven, including my own. The fuel pump itself is camshaft-driven, and unlike the injectors, I don't see any noise suppression around it. Could be the injectors themselves, I'm not sure. Seems to happen on cool or cold mornings and goes completely away after a minute or two of driving unless it's below freezing outside. I don't think I've got a video of it anywhere, but pretty sure we're talking about the same kinda noise. My neighbor's Hyundai 1.6T makes a very similar noise in the mornings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Service manager just called me for an update.

My issues.

1 Pedal hard spot at about 75% throttle
2 slight shake at 40 mph
3 Motor tick
4 Smoke out exhaust
5 Loose steering wheel

Their findings.
1. The hard spot is supposed to be there like you guys said. He said it asks like a kick down cable for the trans like the old automatics had. lame
2. One tire was off balance and they had to remove it from the wheel, clean both, re install and re balance.
3. I know the injectors and pump are loud, but I wanted them to look at it. They said its fine but worth noting.
4. They seen smoke this morning. No codes or issues, but it’s a known issue and they replaced an 02 sensor that has been known for issues.
5. New steering wheel column is ordered and will take a few days to come in.

I have the 17 cruze hatch rental for as long as I need it. Warranty is working. I’m happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking around and believe there is a button thing on the back side of the pedal. I might grind it off or glue it down, that pedal is annoying.

Nothing from the dealer yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dealer still has the car. This is taking forever. I've nearly put 1,000 miles on this rental. What is the process that which the dealer pays a months payment because they had the vehicle longer than you did? Ive heard this happen before.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I have the 7 year full warranty on this brand new car and id be a fool to not use it.
Dealer still has the car. This is taking forever. I've nearly put 1,000 miles on this rental. What is the process that which the dealer pays a months payment because they had the vehicle longer than you did? Ive heard this happen before.
They really don't offer a Full 7 year 'Warranty' although you can purchase a vehicle service contract like the GMEPP which gives you additional protection when the G.M. "Limited" New Car warranty ends. Even the new car warranty is 'limited' in scope. Never heard of additional compensation in the form of a car payment although if your CRUZE is considered a Lemon you might be able to get all money back. Check applicable State laws

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^ yeah something like that. I guess putting a thousand miles on a rental is better than putting it on my car. Same car, same mileage, Im not washing it... so i guess I should stay positive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your car! I would almost ask them for a different Cruze, similarly equipped, if possible.

Safe Travels,
Jay

1 - 20 of 30 Posts